Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple HR34s on one account

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Ha Ha Ha, gotchya.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have commented on your post.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DTV101412

DTV101412

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I am a Mastec installer and we were told that you can only have one HR34. But yesterday I did a New install with 2 HR34's. so maybe there is some wiggle room to get 2 active on one account. Out of probably 300 installs that I have done since the 34 came out has there been 2.

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

I am a Mastec installer and we were told that you can only have one HR34. But yesterday I did a New install with 2 HR34's. so maybe there is some wiggle room to get 2 active on one account. Out of probably 300 installs that I have done since the 34 came out has there been 2.

Was it a personal or business account?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   DTV101412

DTV101412

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Personal

#25 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Did they pay full price for the 2 34's? Was it a new install? Whats the background on those 2 34 installs (if you can say)? Tks
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#26 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Did they pay full price for the 2 34's? Was it a new install? Whats the background on those 2 34 installs (if you can say)? Tks

I would like to know this too. I have been with Directv for about 12 years. One thing I have personally experienced is that the longer I have been with Directv the harder it is to get what you want (my payment record has been perfect and is directly debited from my checking account). They could care less about me even to the point of me threatening to leave. They did however fall all over my neighbor last year when I got her to sign up for a much smaller package than I have. And don't give me the line that I got free or discounted stuff too when I was a new customer because I didn't. I had to buy (pay in full) my receivers and dish which I bought from Circuit CIty and pay for the installation. I got absolutely nothing from Directv. What I am really puzzled about now though is that I am asking for absolutely nothing from Directv except to be able to activate two Hr34s. I already have one HR34 and would even be willing to lease the other one through a third party if they like that idea better. So if there is no cost to them (I am willing to pay for the SWM16 and its installation) what is their problem? We already know it can be done. In the back of my mind I think I already know. I don't buy any PPV or VOD. They know I would use the media servers for it real purpose and if I do that they wouldn't make any extra money off of me. Now mind you, I do have the Premier package as well as all the additional HD packages. And I do admit I record a lot of movies off of the premium channels, but that is all perfectly legal. I am not into sports so I do not have any sports packages. I did like Hot Pass and even paid for that in the beginning. Movies are my thing and I am in the process of building a projector Home Theater in my basement. I am sure Directv has some way of knowing exactly what I am recording and realizes they are not making any extra money off of me. Personally, I think this is the same reason Directv will not allow us to move a recored hard drive to another DVR and has kept the hard drives small in the DVRs.

#27 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Just imagine people that don't know about this forum or Directv policy and simply purchase 2 Genie's from retail and if their system is on SWM, To then find out they can't activate on same account, Wouldn't a SWM16 just make it work if they don't have any other receivers.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#28 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Just imagine people that don't know about this forum or Directv policy and simply purchase 2 Genie's from retail and if their system is on SWM, To then find out they can't activate on same account, Wouldn't a SWM16 just make it work if they don't have any other receivers.

Getting two HR34s to work on one account is not the problem. Getting Directv to agree to activate two HR34s on one account is the problem. IMHO what has happened to Directv is that they have changed their emphases from the high tech oriented TV service for enthusiasts and hobbyists to a profit oriented company who's emphasis is the shareholder. They used to aim their product at young, with it, hip people. Now they aim their product at Ma and Pa Kettle with two kids and a dog. I greatly miss the old company. The whole idea now is to have one media server and wireless clients. That way your equipment is simple and cheap to manufacture, stock, and maintain. One server and one client. The installation is cheap and easy as well. Coax to the server and wireless to the clients. No training even needed for the installers. Any high school kid can do it. Again, I miss the old company. I enjoyed having cutting edge, high tech equipment that no one else in the neighborhood had. Now days every TV service is pretty much the same except for the delivery method. Name your poison. OTA, cable, satellite, Fios, or internet. Within a few channels they all pretty much offer the same thing. Most people can't see or hear or don't care who has the best picture or sound like those here on DBS do. All they care about is who has the most channels for the cheapest price. As my exhibit A, take a look at how the characters are dressed in the Hooper commercials. Now just what demographic is the Hopper aimed at? Not that the genie commercials are any better. BTW, I loved the old name of the HR34, media server. It sounded like a sophisticated piece of high tech equipment. Not like the cartoon character genie gives the impression of. But the Directv bean counters felt they had to play the "me too" name game and have a cute name like the hopper. I think Directv is headed in the wrong direction. Instead of trying to be a "me too" company it needs to go back to its roots and be the cutting edge high tech company for the enthusiast, a much narrower market they could have all to themselves.

Edited by macfan601, 03 February 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   DTV101412

DTV101412

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

The WO was a new install residential. Your average everyday customer. The partner for the WO was AT&T. If that had anything to do with them getting 2 is well beyond me. When I asked my sup about it he was as lost as we all our about how he revived 2.

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

Personal

Very cool. That could be a good sign.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   lzhj9k

lzhj9k

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Very cool. That could be a good sign.

Runner

I too am excited to hear that there may be an opportunity to have multiple HR-34's or perhaps down the road multiple HR-44's on an account.

Edited by lzhj9k, 05 February 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Mike

HR-34  HR-23  H25  2-C31 Clients and 1 C41 Client

#32 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

The WO was a new install residential. Your average everyday customer. The partner for the WO was AT&T. If that had anything to do with them getting 2 is well beyond me. When I asked my sup about it he was as lost as we all our about how he revived 2.

It will be interesting to see/hear if this is a sign of change and more customers will get two, or if this gets reversed, like DirecTV did to customers that had two Genies in the early days and one got deactivated after a system audit.

[I don't know] I wonder if "The partner for the WO was AT&T" was the reason.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

There are possibly several items that need to be considered ... RVU with multiple servers, both UI and authentication ... RVU Genie-to-Genie MRV ... Multiple suppliers for adequate supply during promotions ... SWiM-16 ($) requirement/investment ... to name a few ...

How about if I could have a second one, then I would need 2 fewer other DVR's. So I would go from 8 total receivers to 6. That's $10/month. Plus they have to subsidize the cost of the second Genie (still can't get used to calling it that).

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#34 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,787 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Getting two HR34s to work on one account is not the problem. Getting Directv to agree to activate two HR34s on one account is the problem.

Several months ago, a very high source within DirecTV indicated that it was possible the policy on two Genies could change in the future. It did not sound like the "near future", and there was no assurance that it ever would. But the possibility was acknowledged.

Right now, I have heard there are issues with whole-home in a multi-genie, multi-client environment. I can certainly appreciate the limitation to one genie if that is the case.

So your initial statement about getting two HR34s to work on one account is not/may not be entirely accurate.

IMHO what has happened to Directv is that they have changed their emphases from the high tech oriented TV service for enthusiasts and hobbyists to a profit oriented company who's emphasis is the shareholder.

Heathkit is an excellent example of a company focused on the high tech oriented service for enthusiasts and hobbyists. They went out of business decades ago. Sadly, that focus will not keep a company in business, let alone competitive. DirecTV does continue to offer the highest tech solutions, and pushes the technology boundaries compared to their competitors. But they obviously have to do that in a manner that satisfies all consumers, not just the enthusiast.

#35 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Several months ago, a very high source within DirecTV indicated that it was possible the policy on two Genies could change in the future. It did not sound like the "near future", and there was no assurance that it ever would. But the possibility was acknowledged.

Right now, I have heard there are issues with whole-home in a multi-genie, multi-client environment. I can certainly appreciate the limitation to one genie if that is the case.

So your initial statement about getting two HR34s to work on one account is not/may not be entirely accurate.

And now we are back to the "one size fits all" problem that Directv has developed. I do not have any C31 clients nor do I ever want any. I have the following in my system: HR34, HR24, and H24 (you may have noticed I don't have or want any receivers with external power packs). Why should I be penalized for a C31 client problem? We all know that is not the only problem with those C31 clients. Each subscriber should be judged on the equipment he/she has and not this stupid "we want to make everybody the same" policy Directv now has.

Indirectly though you just told me that the installer above installed a two HR34 system that Directv knows doesn't work. Somehow I don't think that is the case. Trust me on this. The whole issue of not being able to activate two HR34s on one account is all about money grabbing on Directv's part.

Apple used to be somewhat like this. They would only allow us to install certain software on certain computers. The Apple enthusiast community learned how to make their computer send what ever ID they needed for the software they wanted. I predict that someone is going to figure out how to make an HR34 appear like something other than it is to get Directv to activate two of them on one account.

BTW, I loved Heathkit and had several of them. Their headquarters was only a few miles from where I grew up. It would take more space than this forum would allow to debate why they went out of business.

Edited by macfan601, 03 February 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#36 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

As you know, I was there also, and when pushed, the reply was it was more than "logistics" causing this.

Trust me on this. The whole issue of not being able to activate two HR34s on one account is all about money grabbing on Directv's part.

Why should anyone?
Even when you make a good point [new customers verses old and "freebies" offered], you need to add a childish/uninformed comment.
You can't get what you want because:
A) you don't buy enough PPV,
B) DirecTV is a money grabbing company,
C) they won't make a special condition for "you".

Rinse, repeat.
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Trust me on this. The whole issue of not being able to activate two HR34s on one account is all about money grabbing on Directv's part.

Ask Sixto about the issues he's had with 2 HR34's not wanting to play well with each other. It's not a money grab.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#38 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

As you know, I was there also, and when pushed, the reply was it was more than "logistics" causing this.

Why should anyone?
Even when you make a good point [new customers verses old and "freebies" offered], you need to add a childish/uninformed comment.
You can't get what you want because:
A) you don't buy enough PPV,
B) DirecTV is a money grabbing company,
C) they won't make a special condition for "you".

Rinse, repeat.

At least I don't revert to name calling people childish/uninformed who do not agree with me or buy into the Directv company line to try and make myself appear superior. I am proud of the fact I march to a different drummer, nobody owns me, and I think for myself. We agree that Directv is the best TV delivery service out there right now. Let's leave it at that.

#39 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

At least I... think for myself.

That you do and there's nothing wrong with it.
I may disagree with your conclusions, so "trust me" isn't something I'm going to do.

I wonder if you were to go to a car dealer and find you couldn't get an option you wanted, if you'd have the same things to say about them?
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

The whole idea now is to have one media server and wireless clients.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if future servers have more tuners in them, 5 isn't enough for some, if not, then you'll need two Genies, especially if they stop making HR2x. But thats probably a ways off into the future

spam firewall