Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple HR34s on one account

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

We do not live in the same world so we look at things differently. Michigan, Detroit/Flint is a blue collar working class area. We have different values and think differently than Silicon Valley, California.

If you believe that, I'd wager that you haven't spent much time outside of Detroit/Flint.

...and signed a confidentiality agreement.

...and what exactly is wrong with a confidentiality agreement?
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Or an idiot like myself who didn't see this thread before I pulled the trigger on a new second HR34 last Friday, $199 NIB and received it today. I have a parallel SWiM-16 and ICK setup so there is plenty of room, but sounds like I will be SOL. :(

See if there is any disclaimer on the distributor's website about activating only one HR34. If not, see if the distributor you bought it from will take it back (may want to try this anyway).

If they will not take it back, and there was no disclaimer, demand Directv either activate it, intervene with the distributor to take it back, or take it back and reimburse you. I'd ask Directv what terms and conditions apply to only allow you to activate one HR34 and if there is no disclaimer from the distributor, why are they allowing their distributors to sell them without a disclaimer.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#53 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

The man? You're only a subscriber. You don't get to make the rules.

Sorry, you have it completely wrong. I am the customer and it is my money. The customer is ALWAYS right. I love my Directv but you dyed in the wool company fan boys really get to me.

#54 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Sorry, you have it completely wrong. I am the customer and it is my money. The customer is ALWAYS right.

Try that argument next time you're on an airplane, and you don't get what you want, and let us know how that goes.;)

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#55 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

If you believe that, I'd wager that you haven't spent much time outside of Detroit/Flint.

I have lived somewhere in Michigan all of my life. Nothing wrong with that. And no I do not travel much, why should I? I am 62 years old and have everything I need right here.

...and what exactly is wrong with a confidentiality agreement?

Another name for that is selling your soul to the company. I see it as me vs. the company.

#56 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Try that argument next time you're on an airplane, and you don't get what you want, and let us know how that goes.;)

I haven't been on a plane in 20 years and probably won't be the rest of my life. I haven't any reason to fly. I don't know anybody outside of my state and have everything I need right here in Michigan. But as to your statement. When I did fly I just told the travel agency my requirements and it was up to then to find them for me if they wanted to make the sale.

#57 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

I haven't been on a plane in 20 years and probably won't be the rest of my life. I haven't any reason to fly. I don't know anybody outside of my state and have everything I need right here in Michigan. But as to your statement. When I did fly I just told the travel agency my requirements and it was up to then to find them for me if they wanted to make the sale.

That wasn't his point.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#58 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

That wasn't his point.

- Merg

I guess with my 3 earned college degrees and 31 years of teaching experience I wasn't smart enough to get his point.

#59 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I guess with my 3 earned college degrees and 31 years of teaching experience I wasn't smart enough to get his point.

Then how come you're asking so childish?

#60 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Then how come you're asking so childish?

I take offense to your reply. Why are you acting "all mighty"? Just because someone questions Directv's polices doesn't make them childish. I was taught, and always taught my students, to question everything and never, ever accept the "authority" as the answer.

I really like this forum but I really hate how some have set themselves up as the unquestioned authority and how others think Directv can do no wrong. Improvement comes through criticism and questioning.

I am done replying to this thread now. It is a waste of time replying to the closed minded.

#61 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I take offense to your reply. Why are you acting "all mighty"? Just because someone questions Directv's polices doesn't make them childish. I was taught, and always taught my students, to question everything and never, ever accept the "authority" as the answer.

I really like this forum but I really hate how some have set themselves up as the unquestioned authority and how others think Directv can do no wrong. Improvement comes through criticism and questioning.

I am done replying to this thread now. It is a waste of time replying to the closed minded.

If my reply gets you to stop posting in this thread my job is done.

Listen, folks have been trying to give the best explanations as to why there is only one HMC allowed on an account at a time. Since most of the folks here are not DIRECTV employees and we have NOT signed NDA's people are just coming up with their best educated guesses. DIRECTV has their reasons as to why they have the one HMC limit at this time and they aren't saying. And until they do I guess you're just going to have to live with the one HMC answer or move to another company that will give you everything you want to pay for with no limitations.

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Sorry, you have it completely wrong. I am the customer and it is my money. The customer is ALWAYS right. I love my Directv but you dyed in the wool company fan boys really get to me.

Perhaps in your own fantasy. It is your money, but that does not give you any right to dictate policy to a company. The customer is not always right, despite what you may have heard. There is no battle being waged between you and the company. You are the only party involved and the company will be completely unaware of your false crusade.

I am still waiting to hear what is wrong with a confidentiality agreement.
DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

It seems like this thread is so far off topic...the ship needs to be righted somehow.

Policy is policy. Most are established for a specific reason or set of reasons. That all seems quite simple enough for virtually anyone to understand.

Whether or not people agree with policies is often debated. Policies also change over time. This issue has been debated alot here, and it appears no one's mind will be changed by reposting the same position.

At this point there seem to be a number of folks on both sides of agreeing with this policy on multiple HR34's and others who don't agree with it.

Beyond that...there doesn't appear to be anything new in quite some posts now.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#64 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Got any C31 with your current HR34? A C31 can't have two servers.

This actually sounds like a reasonable reason for limiting people to a single HR34. Even for people who don't already have a C31, they wouldn't want to limit people's ability to add a client in a client/server based system when a customer has multiple servers.

I would think that, as soon as an updated version of the clients, whether it be a firmware update to the C31 or a new client entirely, that can work with multiple servers, becomes available, DirecTV will begin allowing people to activate multiple servers.

#65 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,985 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Discuss the topic and not each other. Any more personal comments and it's gone.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 08 February 2013 - 11:18 AM.

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#66 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,892 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

This actually sounds like a reasonable reason for limiting people to a single HR34. Even for people who don't already have a C31, they wouldn't want to limit people's ability to add a client in a client/server based system when a customer has multiple servers.

I would think that, as soon as an updated version of the clients, whether it be a firmware update to the C31 or a new client entirely, that can work with multiple servers, becomes available, DirecTV will begin allowing people to activate multiple servers.

The other issue is the expense of having to swap out SWiM 8's with SWiM 16's.

#67 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

People, until some other people on here grow a back bone and break there NDAs you are not going to know what is going on and the reason Directv is fighting having two HR34s or two upcoming HR44s on the same account. We can protest all we want but it is not going to fix Directv's secret serious problem.

#68 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

There is no secret and/or serious problem. :rolleyes:

It's a policy. Simple.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

People, until some other people on here grow a back bone and break there NDAs you are not going to know what is going on and the reason Directv is fighting having two HR34s or two upcoming HR44s on the same account. We can protest all we want but it is not going to fix Directv's secret serious problem.

What do you believe is wrong with an NDA?
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Once again out comes the tinfoil.

Policy is what you're fighting/complaining about, and it has nothing to do with NDAs or backbones. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#71 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

What do you believe is wrong with an NDA?

Just a guess, but he's probably referring to those here who get free equipment to "test" from Directv, give glowing "reviews" about said equipment and service and then jump in any and every thread where anyone who says anything remotely negative about Directv, only to get more free equipment down the road to "test".

Don't want to speak for him, but he probably thinks that such behavior is unethical without some kind of disclosure that those opinions just might be tainted.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#72 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Or an idiot like myself who didn't see this thread before I pulled the trigger on a new second HR34 last Friday, $199 NIB and received it today. I have a parallel SWiM-16 and ICK setup so there is plenty of room, but sounds like I will be SOL. :(

So, do share, did you attempt to activate it? If so, what happened? :confused:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#73 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Ask Sixto about the issues he's had with 2 HR34's not wanting to play well with each other. It's not a money grab.

+1 This.....is the actual issue...no conspiracy, no ill intended mandates from the MAN....simply infrastructure-driven
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#74 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Just a guess, but he's probably referring to those here who get free equipment to "test" from Directv, give glowing "reviews" about said equipment and service and then jump in any and every thread where anyone who says anything remotely negative about Directv, only to get more free equipment down the road to "test".

Don't want to speak for him, but he probably thinks that such behavior is unethical without some kind of disclosure that those opinions just might be tainted.

+1

#75 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Once again out comes the tinfoil.

Policy is what you're fighting/complaining about, and it has nothing to do with NDAs or backbones. :nono:

Then I guess this time I have information that you don't.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...