Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple HR34s on one account

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Just so you know, this is the word from someone in upper mgmt..typically, a 2nd HR34 is allowed when customer has more than 6 tvs on the account. Not official, but it's being done. That's it. No idea why, no idea if true in practice, but his track record is very good.

-=K=-

Kinda makes sense as a Genie and its clients can only handle 5 TVs.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

Kinda makes sense as a Genie and its clients can only handle 5 TVs.

i think u mean 4
I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#83 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

For a very long time, people went all over the place about dual live buffers on the DVRs. DIRECTV didn't release it until it was ready.

A long time ago DIRECTV mentioned HMC, and is delivering on that promise. Now that it is ready.

Not so long ago DIRECTV released the HR34 with a limitation. Thems who closely watch DIRECTV know DIRECTV doesn't do things without a reason. And they work very hard in a customer focused manner.

So by example of history, I fully expect the limitations of today won't exist forever. They will only exist as long as necessary for whatever reason they need to exist in the first place. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#84 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

I dont have 6 TVs but want 2 hr34. I don't want clients taking up tuners. Will they let me activate it?

#85 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I dont have 6 TVs but want 2 hr34. I don't want clients taking up tuners. Will they let me activate it?

Not at this time.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#86 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

No, not two Genies. However you can have one Genie plus one or more other DVRs or HD receivers, none of which use a Genie tuner. That could easily be the solution you are seeking.

#87 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

The WO was a new install residential. Your average everyday customer. The partner for the WO was AT&T. If that had anything to do with them getting 2 is well beyond me. When I asked my sup about it he was as lost as we all our about how he revived 2.

Well it did not work for me. Before I purchased the 2nd HR34 I emailed DirecTV customer care to verify activation with the RID#. Got confirmation in writing I could activate it.

Got it in mail, hooked everything up and called to activate, got transferred to access card department. At first, he said their system showed I only had a SWiM-16 setup. Advised him I have a parallel SWiM-16 (SWiM-32) setup (with ICK, etc.), or several of my receivers would not work right now. I have a Genie, 10-HDDVR's and a Sony SAT-A55, which is on a separate 30" round dish antenna.

I asked CSR to review email I was sent to approve activation of new Genie and he did see it in system, but indicated previous CSR did not give correct information.

I stated to him "So I am now basically SOL", and he confirmed that there was nothing he could do. So much for being a valued customer since 1998. :(

If you bundle with Centurylink (or AT&T in your case), the customer is not paying his bill to DirecTV, it's paid to the phone carrier because of the agreement. My neighbor who I referred last summer told me of the process, and his bill gets messed up every month to the point. But he always has to contact the phone carrieR (Centurylink) and not DirecTV to get fixed.

This may be the reason why you were able to get 2 HR-34's activated on a personal (residential) account because of the third party phone bundle program. Maybe I am wrong.

Rep said since I cannot activate, but I could sell it on ebay or Craigslist, but use the Buy it now option since its listed as a leased receiver. Interesting.

I also asked if someone had more than five clients (or more than 8 RVU TV's) could they get another Genie for the remaining clients? He indicated they could not, they would be stuck.

Guess I will hope for some changes in the future.

#88 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Well it did not work for me. Before I purchased the 2nd HR34 I emailed DirecTV customer care to verify activation with the RID#. Got confirmation in writing I could activate it.

Got it in mail, hooked everything up and called to activate, got transferred to access card department. At first, he said their system showed I only had a SWiM-16 setup. Advised him I have a parallel SWiM-16 (SWiM-32) setup (with ICK, etc.), or several of my receivers would not work right now. I have a Genie, 10-HDDVR's and a Sony SAT-A55, which is on a separate 30" round dish antenna.

I asked CSR to review email I was sent to approve activation of new Genie and he did see it in system, but indicated previous CSR did not give correct information.

I stated to him "So I am now basically SOL", and he confirmed that there was nothing he could do. So much for being a valued customer since 1998. :(

If you bundle with Centurylink (or AT&T in your case), the customer is not paying his bill to DirecTV, it's paid to the phone carrier because of the agreement. My neighbor who I referred last summer told me of the process, and his bill gets messed up every month to the point. But he always has to contact the phone carrieR (Centurylink) and not DirecTV to get fixed.

This may be the reason why you were able to get 2 HR-34's activated on a personal (residential) account because of the third party phone bundle program. Maybe I am wrong.

Rep said since I cannot activate, but I could sell it on ebay or Craigslist, but use the Buy it now option since its listed as a leased receiver. Interesting.

I also asked if someone had more than five clients (or more than 8 RVU TV's) could they get another Genie for the remaining clients? He indicated they could not, they would be stuck.

Guess I will hope for some changes in the future.

why i don't like bundling with different companies for different services it might cost a little more but i prefer to deal with each individual company separately if i have billing questions
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#89 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

You were told ahead of time that you'd be SOL, why did you try it anyways?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#90 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

You were told ahead of time that you'd be SOL, why did you try it anyways?

Didn't he previously post that he didn't see this thread?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#91 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Sure, but he had time to cancel his order.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#92 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Yes I did post that I didn't see thread, or I would not have done it. Unit was in transit by the time I saw thread. Gave it a shot anyway once it arrived. Lesson learned. I have a nice door stop now. :lol:

#93 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Sure, but he had time to cancel his order.

You may have overlooked the first sentence in my post. :)

......Before I purchased the 2nd HR34 I emailed DirecTV customer care to verify activation with the RID#. Got confirmation in writing I could activate it......

#94 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

You may have overlooked the first sentence in my post. :)

No, I didn't. You were already told here, by people who know what they are talking about, that you wouldn't be able to. We all know CSR's tell the customer what they want to hear most of the time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#95 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

all know CSR's tell the customer what they want to hear most of the time.

Right on!

#96 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

codespy posted:

I've had situations occur with both D* and E* with conflicting departments inside each organization offering conflicting guidelines for several matters. As an independent installer working with both (and several cable cos and OTA) I take a VERY dim view of my clients being pulled into internal matters like this. IMO, everyone at every service provider has to work from the same play book. Internal 'fiefdoms' issuing edicts and decrees conflicting with other internal fiefdoms and involving customers is unprofessional in the extreme and unacceptable.

I am understanding regarding technical limitations of the various systems, if a CSR states an HDDVR can also walk my clients dog, I realize my client can't expect that. But if a CSR is, as in this example, given a specific RID and in writing (or email) states the unit is good to go, them the unit IS good to go, PERIOD.

In this example, DirecTVs recourse should be against the CSR or the access card guy (conduct report, negative performance appraisal, termination, etc) and NOT the customer.

#97 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Where did you buy it from? It clearly states on Solid Signal that you can only have one per account.

#98 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm sorry to all, but I can't put up with this nonsense any longer.

Getting two HR34s to work on one account is not the problem. Getting Directv to agree to activate two HR34s on one account is the problem. IMHO what has happened to Directv is that they have changed their emphases from the high tech oriented TV service for enthusiasts and hobbyists to a profit oriented company who's emphasis is the shareholder.
[Nobody can be this clueless]

They used to aim their product at young, with it, hip people. Now they aim their product at Ma and Pa Kettle with two kids and a dog. I greatly miss the old company.
[You miss D11's and Phillips IRDs and H20-600s?]

The whole idea now is to have one media server and wireless clients. That way your equipment is simple and cheap to manufacture, stock, and maintain. One server and one client. The installation is cheap and easy as well. Coax to the server and wireless to the clients.
[Wireless clients don't exist, I don't know what corner of your posterior you're pulling this from]

No training even needed for the installers. Any high school kid can do it.
[This is blatantly false, and completely arrogant. There is a great deal of work and education necessary to learn to do that job well]

Again, I miss the old company. I enjoyed having cutting edge, high tech equipment that no one else in the neighborhood had. Now days every TV service is pretty much the same except for the delivery method. Name your poison. OTA, cable, satellite, Fios, or internet. Within a few channels they all pretty much offer the same thing.
[Wrong. Completely.]

Most people can't see or hear or don't care who has the best picture or sound like those here on DBS do. All they care about is who has the most channels for the cheapest price. As my exhibit A, take a look at how the characters are dressed in the Hooper commercials. Now just what demographic is the Hopper aimed at? Not that the genie commercials are any better. BTW, I loved the old name of the HR34, media server. It sounded like a sophisticated piece of high tech equipment. Not like the cartoon character genie gives the impression of.
[If you knew lesson 1 about marketing and branding, you'd have some idea of why advertising decisions like this are made.]

But the Directv bean counters felt they had to play the "me too" name game and have a cute name like the hopper. I think Directv is headed in the wrong direction. Instead of trying to be a "me too" company it needs to go back to its roots and be the cutting edge high tech company for the enthusiast, a much narrower market they could have all to themselves.
[Three words. Much, Narrower, Market]

*flame off*
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#99 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Edited by ndole, 12 February 2013 - 12:18 PM.

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#100 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Where did you buy it from? It clearly states on Solid Signal that you can only have one per account.

It was not Solid Signal, but Direct2deal out of North Carolina. They sold several others. It was brand new, MFR date of 12-18-2012, box was never opened, DirecTV white sticker was intact on the box. I was a little leary of the supplier at first, but upon confirmation with DirecTV with my account number and RID of the receiver that it could be activated, everything seemed fine until I actually went to activate it. The details of the sale indicated no limit of Genie's on the account, but did indicate additional receivers are $6 + tax when added, and bottom line it was a great price.

It's just not that big of a deal, and sometimes weeks go by between my visits to DBSTalk. It just so happens it was a time when a deal came up, and I did not have the time to spend surfing thru the forums here, life gets in the way. It can be activated, just on an account without a Genie on it already. I am sure I can recoup the investment. Bad timing, lesson learned, we live and learn, and move on, and others will learn from people's experience, but only if they check here first, since the best information is usually here. So even if you exceed 6 receivers, and already have a SWiM-32 setup, it will get you nowhere....the limit is one. Its just $72.00 less that DirecTV will get in equipment fees from me every year because of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...