Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera Gets Current

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Every channel is basically pro: whomever owns it. There are lots of Arabiic countries... in fact, nearly all of them... whose leaders want to stay in power, and so they want the support of the United States to be assisted in staying in power, but they also support anti-Israeli interests. Most of these Arabic financial interests are not inclined to support the beheading of Americans, but I suspect that a lot of Americans don't realize that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Have you thoroughly investigated ALL the paths of money to the channels you watch?

Get to the point.

What happens if someone who is "anti-american" donates to PBS... do you then also stop watching PBS?

AJ is the bad actor, your analogy doesn't work.

If I had reason to believe that PBS was encouraging or in any way aligning themselves with terrorists, I would be just as equally concerned.

OK ... where was the outrage when beIN Sport was added to DirecTV and DISH late last year?

I have no idea, I don't pay attention to sports. If they called it "Al Jazeera Sports", I imagine more people would be aware of it. I don't hire an investigator every time DirecTV adds a channel to their service. At the same time, hearing that AJ is buying out a channel that DirecTV does carry, and knowing what I know of their non-English programming, that gets my attention.

I don't pay for sports. Is beIN in a sports package, or is it part of the regular lineup? I can't find that info on DirecTV's site. Is it still carried?

#183 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Yeah... I really think this is a much ado about nothing situation.

Or I guess the modern equivalent is "haters gonna hate"...

At the very least, they intentionally let themselves be used as a recruitment tool for terrorists.

That means nothing to you? Anyone that has an issue with that is just a "hater"?

Yes, I have an issue with terrorists and those that support them. So should you.

#184 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

If you believe Al Jazeera supports terrorism, well... I'm out of this debate.

#185 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Alex, without ever watching foreign news look at the world from their view.
We invaded them. They didn't ask for our protection. They want us to just go away.
If they invaded your country you would fight back just as hard as they do.
Maybe even harder. But not much. Face reality. You just happened to be born here.
That doesn't make you better than everybody else. Earn that part.

#186 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

We invaded them. They didn't ask for our protection. They want us to just go away.

We invaded Qatar?

Whatever motivates terrorists is beside the point. It's the programming and agenda of the network that's the problem. Any network that promotes violence against civilians and celebrates murderous thugs is detestable. Do you not agree?

#187 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

We invaded Qatar?

Whatever motivates terrorists is beside the point. It's the programming and agenda of the network that's the problem. Any network that promotes violence against civilians and celebrates murderous thugs is detestable. Do you not agree?

I agree only with your last part. As far as who we invaded pretty well established both Afghanistan and Iraq. Qatar is actually one of our stronger allys around there. Not strong, but stronger than most arab/middle east countries. From what I hear this channel just doesn't filter/soften or slant news the way your favorite channels do. I can handle multiple sources of info without going nuts.

The biggest disagreement is calling anybody and everybody that fights against us terrorists. If they are defending their country against an invading army they are patriots and honorable patriots in the eyes of their people. Their were plenty of real terrorists that took advantage of our rapid downsizing in Afghanistan and the invasion of Iraq.

I don't care what party Bush represented. As commander in chief I think he failed miserably. Caused massive debt and death. And never really made us safer. Just calling them all terrorists and pretending everything we did then and do now is rightous and justified is not for me. I won't control your life and what you can watch. Now do the same for me. I pay for channels you watch that I don't. Big deal. We all have to share a little here in pay tv world.

#188 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Al Jazeera America will replace Current in April: http://www.politico....rica-86088.html

#189 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

The biggest disagreement is calling anybody and everybody that fights against us terrorists. If they are defending their country against an invading army they are patriots and honorable patriots in the eyes of their people.

I don't disagree, but that's not at play here. AlJ aired what was basically Al Queida's recruitment videos. Are you claiming that 9/11 was an act of self defense? Or that Al Queida wasn't involved in the 9/11 attacks?

AlJ also celebrated some rather despicable human beings (Samir Kuntar for example).

Iraq has nothing to do with this.

I won't control your life and what you can watch. Now do the same for me. I pay for channels you watch that I don't. Big deal. We all have to share a little here in pay tv world.

I will not pay money to any provider that hands some of that money over to people that promote those that wish to kill us. That's not a valid "social contract", it's exactly the opposite.

If folks really want another outside view of the news, I'm sure DirecTV and others could find much better networks that do not have ties and who have not supported terrorists.

#190 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I will not pay money to any provider that hands some of that money over to people that promote those that wish to kill us.

If you believe that Al Jazeera is that kind of "people" then you already do. So where are you going when you leave DirecTV?

#191 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

I don't disagree, but that's not at play here. AlJ aired what was basically Al Queida's recruitment videos. Are you claiming that 9/11 was an act of self defense? Or that Al Queida wasn't involved in the 9/11 attacks?

AlJ also celebrated some rather despicable human beings (Samir Kuntar for example).

Iraq has nothing to do with this.

I will not pay money to any provider that hands some of that money over to people that promote those that wish to kill us. That's not a valid "social contract", it's exactly the opposite.

If folks really want another outside view of the news, I'm sure DirecTV and others could find much better networks that do not have ties and who have not supported terrorists.

Time Warner cable would be a perfect fit for you. I gotta have my nfl and don't have TW around here so I'm stayin with the dish. Now if I could find a condo where the dish will work.

I don't condone any terrorist attack or killing pretty much in general. Bin Laden claimed that 9-11 and the many previous terrorist attacks were because foreign (US) christian soldiers were occupying his country (Saudia Arabia). I really believe that is why they did it. It a wierd way they probably think of it as "self defense". They see the world in a much different way than you do. Now we can learn why they think those things. Or ignore it. Or fight back. Or switch. Or ban that channel. Take away other peoples freedom. Yea let's do that. They sure won't miss your $0.10 per month.

I don't even watch much news, but I would guess that if Al Jazeera didn't show those "recruiting videos" their ratings would be low. Believe it or not, probably a big chunk of the middle east muslims see the terrorists as brave, tough guys like we see our football stars. Only 10 times more because some are willing to suicide for their cause. That is more support of their god than country, but some of both. Now we can find out what they "really think".

It looks to me like as we leave these countries, they still fight each other for control, but no they are not following us back here. They really do just want to be left alone. When we quit buying their oil somebody else will. The middle east isn't going broke any time soon. So lets keep an eye on them. "... Keep your enemies closer" right?

As long as new channels are cheap I'm all for it. The skyrocketing costs of regional sports etc. is a bigger concern for most direct subscribers.

#192 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

AJA to launch within six months (previously April): http://www.politico....ing-154919.html

Also: http://www.aljazeera...3533845915.html

#193 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

I remember back when America was supposed to be about promoting free speech and allowing many points of view to be heard. Now when a tiny number of giant media companies run our TV news and advance their narrow corporate agendas from within the so-called "news" content in their entertainment divisions, we should be welcoming in a little variety as a breath of fresh air. Instead we mostly get this endless hatefest bred in ignorance and prejudice. I trust in intellectuals, not morons--guys like this:

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum." -- Adlai E. Stevenson

#194 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

It is a free market ... I suspect that A J America will get roughly the same ratings as Current and fit in nicely with the other very low viewership channels (such as Russia Today, China Central News, The Blaze). Niches within the niche of news that will just blend in with the other hundreds of channels once the excitement of the change wears off.

#195 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I hope they launch in HD. On a superficial level, I really like AJE's graphics.

#196 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

+1 on the HD! SD really dragged Current down, made everything look shabby and public-access channel. Not to mention Al Jazeera has a tradition of smokin' hot babe field reporters and anchors!

#197 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

They'd have to go some to top Christie Paul and Kathryn Hendricks of HLN, although I don't know if either is still there since I stopped watching that channel when it went tabloid.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#198 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

This is real news?

Shameful.

Yes it is real news! Fact are facts. The channel was sold before the tax rates increased. And the buyer's funding comes from oil. Hows your carbon footprint now Al? :hurah:
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#199 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

AJA to launch within six months (previously April): http://www.politico....ing-154919.html

Also: http://www.aljazeera...3533845915.html

Thanks. I've been scanning the EPG on my DVR looking for the change in programming on Current. Now I know why the current programming is still "Current".
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#200 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yes it is real news! Fact are facts. The channel was sold before the tax rates increased. And the buyer's funding comes from oil. Hows your carbon footprint now Al? :hurah:

Find the Al Gore interview on The Daily Show (1/30/13). Jon spent a lot of time on the Current sale, including the selling to oil countries issue.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...