Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera Gets Current

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

http://www.wnyc.org/...uys-current-tv/

http://www.aljazeera...nouncement.com/

Edited by pablo, 04 January 2013 - 12:42 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Russia Today and AJE should not be mentioned in the same thread. RT is very clearly biased, and it is obvious throughout their broadcast. AJE is nothing like RT.

Edited by pablo, 04 January 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   wolvesjohnblack

wolvesjohnblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

AJ already owns BeIN Sport on directv and it is excellent and I for one am every excited to have a fair news channel and not one full of opionated people trying to be the news instead of reporting it.

#44 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 746 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Never watched Aljaz, but would like to form my own opinion, especially after the remark made by RL.

I get why a lot are offended, considering the source, but these same people should also be offended by the constant drivel that is being force fed to the public from other news stations.

It is what I consider "deflective" viewing, and apparently it is working.

happy now, SW?

Edited by satcrazy, 04 January 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

alot

:: bangs head on desk ::
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#46 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

"But when men have realized that time has upset many fighting faiths, they may come to believe even more than they believe the very foundations of their own conduct that the ultimate good desired is better reached by free trade in ideas -- that the best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition of the market, and that truth is the only ground upon which their wishes safely can be carried out. That, at any rate, is the theory of our Constitution. It is an experiment, as all life is an experiment. Every year, if not every day, we have to wager our salvation upon some prophecy based upon imperfect knowledge. While that experiment is part of our system, I think that we should be eternally vigilant against attempts to check the expression of opinions that we loathe and believe to be fraught with death, unless they so imminently threaten immediate interference with the lawful and pressing purposes of the law that an immediate check is required to save the country. "
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#47 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

While everyone certainly has the right to their own opinion, including going as far as cancelling their service over this, I find it pretty amusing.

AJ is perceived as being extremely biased in the Arab world. The issue there is that they are too pro-Western. Come over here, and we are threatening to jump ship over the mere possibility that an outside viewpoint might be put on the air. Makes me think the channel is pretty well placed in between our various biases.

I hope AJE is put on as many providers as possible, and I'd urge everyone to give it a chance. Sometimes it is good to hear the news from an outside perspective. Just as I'll occasionally switch my news provider from CNN to either Fox or MSNBC to get a different take on a major story. And, as noted many times previously, you can always hit the channel change button.

#48 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've watched AlJaz via Roku (and online) and comparing them to the other news sources, I have to say that their English language service is not as biased as so many people insist they are. They have presented international news in a clear, concise fashion. They appear -- at least as far as I've seen -- to be no less biased than BBC World News (which I also wish would appear on DirecTV).

They are a far cry from the constant "bash-USA" mindset that you see on Russia Today (RT) -- which is also available online and via Roku.

To those of my fellow libertarians/conservatives who are upset about this out there, keep in mind that it is better to have those sources at least nearby in order to see what those who do not walk in your shoes have to say for themselves on an ongoing basis.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#49 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

The only reason people are up in arms about this is because of the name. If it was any other name no one would care or even notice. I've watched Al Jazeera on my Roku and found it to be refreshing when compared to our "news". It's nice to see news shows about news and not mindless drivel. HLN is a good example today. Breaking News!!! 2 deer are on an ice flow!!! Oh who the hell cares?

#50 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Why?

I don't want to fund an organization that runs propaganda advocating violence against my fellow citizens. Al Jazeera is an avenue for Al Queida and the like to spread their videos worldwide. To me, from what I've seen, they go way beyond what anyone could call responsible journalism.

Certainly every subscriber has a right to that point of view... but I wonder... do they investigate all channels they watch and make sure 100% that they aren't funded in part or whole by someone they disagree with?

Disagree with? The United States didn't have a disagreement with Bin Laden. There's a huge difference between disagreement and promoting violence. I don't care for some of the stuff on MSNBC or FoxNews, but that's not even close to being the same thing.

For anyone not wanting Al Jazeera, I respectfully state that I do not want and will not welcome anyone telling me what I can and cannot view on television while living here in the U.S.

Has anyone attempted to tell you to not watch something? If DirecTV wanted to make it a pay channel, I'd have no issue with it. I don't want to fund their network, even if it's only a small fraction of my monthly bill.

#51 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I don't want to fund an organization that runs propaganda advocating violence against my fellow citizens. Al Jazeera is an avenue for Al Queida and the like to spread their videos worldwide. To me, from what I've seen, they go way beyond what anyone could call responsible journalism.

:rolleyes:

I hear corner gas stations are having a sale on tin foil hats.

#52 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I've watched hours of AJE. Have not seen anything that could remotely be classified as "advocating violence" against the US. Have they played Al Qaeda videos? Yes. But I first saw those same videos on NBC, CBS, CNN, and ABC. The network is owned by the Qatar government, a government that is very pro-American. They host US Central Command's middle east command center.

#53 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

If folks want to threaten to drop their television service because they don't agree with what their subscription fees are paying for, that's their right of free speech.

I've been a customer of DirecTV for many, many years. If they don't drop this network before the transition, I may very well drop DirecTV. That's my choice, and it's their choice. Choices are good, that tells us there's still freedom left in these lands.

This is funny...
All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#54 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

This is funny...

I agree that it's funny but I also think it speaks volumes about folks in this country. I doubt I need to explain what I mean.

#55 OFFLINE   Nick79

Nick79

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

I was looking forward to having Al-Jazeera on cable. There are some religious channels that I want deleted as well, but they aren't leaving and neither is Al-Jazeera. I wasn't a fan of Current TV at first because they killed Newsworld International in order to get on the air. I have started to like it since it got the current format and will be looking forward to the changes that they will be making.

#56 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I was looking forward to having Al-Jazeera on cable. There are some religious channels that I want deleted as well, but they aren't leaving and neither is Al-Jazeera. I wasn't a fan of Current TV at first because they killed Newsworld International in order to get on the air. I have started to like it since it got the current format and will be looking forward to the changes that they will be making.

I've got a long list of channels I don't like paying for ,the religious channels I especially would like to see go the way of the dinosaur, but I also understand that some people might. Different strokes for different folks. Like I said before, the bias against AJ is because of the name. Nothing more.

#57 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I don't want to fund an organization that runs propaganda advocating violence against my fellow citizens. Al Jazeera is an avenue for Al Queida and the like to spread their videos worldwide.

I haven't seen the channel, so I can't speak to that... but are you saying the US-based news channels didn't air those same videos? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing all the videos. In fact, I also have seen clips that are supposed to be from Al Jazeera airing on US-based news channels... so, what's the difference?

Propaganda? As if US-based news channels don't air propaganda themselves? I also am pretty sure I've seen US-based news programs advocating "rising up" and "taking arms" and such... promoting violence as you put it... so this wouldn't be new either.

Disagree with? The United States didn't have a disagreement with Bin Laden.

Debatable... arguably we did have a disagreement with him, that ultimately led to worse things... but that's a horse of a different color.

What does the very much deceased Bin Laden have to do with Al Jazeera?

There's a huge difference between disagreement and promoting violence.

True... but having not seen the channel, I can't say Al Jazeera falls into your categorization. Have you actually watched the channel? OR are you basing your opinion on what others have told you?

I try not to form opinions and hatred of content without having the chance to see that content myself... there are lots of things on US-based news channels that I personally could do without seeing, sometimes even that offend me and embarrass me as an American... but at least I've seen them before forming that opinion.

I just always find it highly ironic how we talk about freedom of speech, expression, and how other countries oppress different views... and then we have the Salem Witch trials, Communist "witch" hunts, and try our best to oppress other viewpoints than our own.

Highly ironic.

The US that I thought I was born into was one that listened to what others said before dismissing it so casually. Listen, then object... even protest... but don't try to prevent others from the opportunity to listen for themselves.

That's how we get books banned from schools or libraries or book stores... and how we get other channels banned too. Some don't like the violence, sex, cursing, etc. on cable/satellite and would like to see all that censored too... It's a slippery slope when you go from "I don't want to watch this" to "I don't want you to watch it either."

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I've got a long list of channels I don't like paying for ,the religious channels I especially would like to see go the way of the dinosaur, but I also understand that some people might. Different strokes for different folks. Like I said before, the bias against AJ is because of the name. Nothing more.

Many of the religious channels pay to be carried, rather than you paying for them.
DTV = Digital Television

#59 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Many of the religious channels pay to be carried, rather than you paying for them.

Many being the key word. I'm gonna drop this as this is about Current TV and not religion and whatnot. Fair enough?

#60 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I agree that it's funny but I also think it speaks volumes about folks in this country.

And in 2013 yet. You'd think we would have made some progress along the way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...