Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera Gets Current

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

And in 2013 yet. You'd think we would have made some progress along the way.

You'd think right? Seems we take 1 step forward and 3 back.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

To some folks, if it ain't on Fox News, it ain't news and shouldn't be broadcast anywhere.

That's what I did with Fox 'News'.

Me too.........that was the first thing i got rid of. Permanently.

#63 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Me too.........that was the first thing i got rid of. Permanently.

I tune to it once in a while if i need a good laugh. Works every time. :hurah:
What a joke.

#64 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

With Current being sold for 500 hundred million, I was wondering if that would set the bottom price that a network could be sold for?

#65 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Respectfully, AlexCF, I think you're mistaken about AJE. What you're describing just does not exist. You can take a look at a live stream of AJE here and see: http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

#66 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I don't want to fund an organization that runs propaganda advocating violence against my fellow citizens. Al Jazeera is an avenue for Al Queida and the like to spread their videos worldwide. To me, from what I've seen, they go way beyond what anyone could call responsible journalism.

Al Jazeera is not a propaganda arm for Al Qaida.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#67 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

As mentioned before, this is a near-perfect cultural fit---probably little to no due diligence required at all before the deal was consummated.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#68 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

This is real news?

Shameful.

#69 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Don't forget one other huge truth concerning this channel: it was VERY CLEAR this channel was tied in with Al Quada. This channel was always the one in the Arab world to show/transmit Bin Laden's tapes/speeches etc. This channel is an anti-American channel which only is a propaganda instrument of the Arab world which just loves to hate us "infidels"

#70 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Don't forget one other huge truth concerning this channel: it was VERY CLEAR this channel was tied in with Al Quada. This channel was always the one in the Arab world to show/transmit Bin Laden's tapes/speeches etc.

Did you consider that Bin Laden's tapes and speeches were news and that they are a news channel? Should they have ignored Bin Laden? Made the decision for us what was news? A good news outlet presents both sides of a story, not just one. They do a very good job of presenting both sides of stories, and presenting stories no other "news" outlets even bother to carry.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#71 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Don't forget one other huge truth concerning this channel: it was VERY CLEAR this channel was tied in with Al Quada. This channel was always the one in the Arab world to show/transmit Bin Laden's tapes/speeches etc. This channel is an anti-American channel which only is a propaganda instrument of the Arab world which just loves to hate us "infidels"

You need to do some basic research, as your claims are false.
DTV = Digital Television

#72 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

In fact, I also have seen clips that are supposed to be from Al Jazeera airing on US-based news channels... so, what's the difference?

Like you said, you saw clips. The US networks don't treat the stuff as regular programming and let it run in its entirety and it's presented under the context of terrorism and homeland security. US networks don't also run docudramas that aim to describe the "human side" of the madman that wanted to kill as many of us as possible.

Remember too that material that airs in English isn't necessarily representative of an organization's real agenda. We saw this happen with the recent attacks on the US embassy in Egypt. The Muslim Brotherhood expressed sympathy to the US in English, meanwhile their Arabic content was pretty much the opposite. That isn't rumor or conjecture, it was the State Department that pointed it out. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this wouldn't be more of the same.

As if US-based news channels don't air propaganda themselves?

Propaganda encouraging the mass murder of civilians? I doubt that very much.

Our leaders do go on television and threaten leaders who threaten us, but I don't think anyone ever advocates indiscriminate killing. Remember the coverage of the atrocities at Abu Ghraib? None of our networks were cheering that, and the public response eventually shut the prison down.

Maybe we're hitting a turning point. Some Libyan civilians attacked the headquarters of a group that was supposedly responsible for the attack on our consulate. It looked staged to me, but maybe it wasn't. Who knows, our government certainly isn't saying much. Perhaps someday we'll all learn to get along. Hasn't happened yet, probably isn't likely to any time soon.

I also am pretty sure I've seen US-based news programs advocating "rising up" and "taking arms" and such.

What the heck have you been watching?

What does the very much deceased Bin Laden have to do with Al Jazeera?

Al Jazeera was his bullhorn. Not to mention other programs that they've run about the guy trying to pass off something other than the reality we know.

Have you actually watched the channel? OR are you basing your opinion on what others have told you?

A mix of the two. A lot of content was hitting the web a while back from their non-English broadcasts. It was stuff that would never air here. Frankly, I wish that I'd never seen any of it.

I try not to form opinions and hatred of content without having the chance to see that content myself.

What hatred? My point is that I don't want my monthly payments to my provider to end up going to the folks that operate that network. I'm not wishing them an eternity in hell, unlike what some of their content wishes on us. I'm sure they've learned to sanitize their English feed. That doesn't mean that their motives have changed any.

I just always find it highly ironic how we talk about freedom of speech, expression, and how other countries oppress different views... and then we have the Salem Witch trials, Communist "witch" hunts, and try our best to oppress other viewpoints than our own.

I find it depressing how whenever someone has a disagreement with someone else they start whining about their freedoms and comparing it with real oppression. If freedom of speech were being suppressed here, we wouldn't have both MSNBC and Fox News. They're two polar opposites, yet they coexist.

If Current can't attract enough viewers to stay on satellite, that's not oppression. That's economics. If viewers walk away from content and the content gets cancelled, that's the free market at work. Oppression would be the FCC threatening to revoke the licenses of any provider retransmitting the content here. That's not going to happen.

You're making a classic mistake. You think freedom of speech only applies to speech that you approve of. If I want to voice an opinion that you don't happen to agree with, that's my freedom of speech. I don't want to pay money to this network. Being a free individual, I'm entitled to make that choice without your permission or the permission of the government. I have no power to "oppress" anyone or anything. If a lot of people with similar views cause a provider to drop a network, that's the provider responding to consumer demand. Others can be just as vocal supporting the network to encourage the provider to keep it.

Good grief. You're crying about free speech and oppression because of a viewpoint that you don't agree with! How hilarious is that? We must be intolerant towards intolerance! :sure:

Some don't like the violence, sex, cursing, etc. on cable/satellite and would like to see all that censored too.

Try using profanity here and see where that gets you. Does that mean that the moderators here are oppressing us? There's nothing stopping someone from setting up a forum like this where anything goes. There aren't many like that. Why do you suppose that is? Enough people don't find it acceptable, therefore there's little demand. It's not a failure of free speech. It's not a form of oppression.

:grin:

#73 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

This is real news?

Shameful.

"The Five" presents itself to be, and is, quite obviously, a Fox News Channel round-table discussion, much like the many network round-table discussions on other networks. It makes no representation of being news reporting. Just out of curiosity, what part of "discussion" do you find "shameful?"

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#74 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

"The Five" presents itself to be, and is, quite obviously, a Fox News Channel round-table discussion, much like the many network round-table discussions on other networks. It makes no representation of being news reporting. Just out of curiosity, what part of "discussion" do you find "shameful?"

They are reporting and commenting on a news story. The way in which they do it is shameful, with the one guy calling it "crap" on the air.

#75 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

The folks opposed to this network are the same people who get their news from Alex Jones and InfoWars/PrisonPlanet. :)
DTV = Digital Television

#76 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

AlexCF, you mentioned AJE does documentaries, which is true. And they're quite enlightening, unlike much of the investigative journalism pieces one finds on cable news. For instance, they have a series called Witness: http://www.aljazeera...rammes/witness/ Take a look at some of countries they've recently covered with very in-depth documentaries: DR Congo, Ukraine, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Rwanda, Bolivia, South Africa, Colombia, Morocco - and it's serious journalism. It's quite unlike what you're describing, a "bullhorn for terrorists".

Edited by pablo, 05 January 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#77 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

The folks opposed to this network are the same people who get their news from Alex Jones and InfoWars/PrisonPlanet. :)

Yeah, unlike the astute, unbiased, pro-Al Jazeera folks who regularly frequent HuffPo, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, Daily Kos, Time, Newsweek, WaPo, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. :lol:

#78 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Yeah, unlike the astute, unbiased, pro-Al Jazeera folks who regularly frequent HuffPo, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, Daily Kos, Time, Newsweek, WaPo, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. :lol:

Hm, I think that's a list of rather reputable and respected news sources. I don't know who Alex Jones is, on the other hand.

#79 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hm, I think that's a list of rather reputable and respected news sources...

I'm quite sure you do.

#80 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Thank you for confirming that you consider Mr. Jones a quality source and proving my point. :)
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...