Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera Gets Current

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Here's a good sample of AJE's coverage, it's their look back at the biggest stories of 2012:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,158 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

You know how Right wingers are with facts. :rolleyes:
It's ok for them though. That's where our oil comes from. They get a pass. Oil is acceptable no matter the cost i.e.: Guilf War, Second Iraq war......
Truth in news from a news organization from that region? Forget about it. Can't stomach that. Nope. Nope. Nope. Stick heads in sand because truth doesn't make my straight piped Silverado get 4 miles to the gallon and sound bad @ss going through my neighborhood.

I find your post directly insulting, offensive and ignorant. Please do not make sweeping, opinionated statements that are complete generalizations based on your bias. You insulted a group of people and that is against the rules. And has nothing to do with the thread.

Spread your personal bias somewhere else please.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#123 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Let's stay on topic and be respectful to each other.

:backtotop

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#124 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

You're comparing Minutemen who fought British soldiers for our independence to cowards that specifically target and kill civilians?

Kind of weird the way their brains work, isn't it? Don't try to figure it out as you never will.

Much like here, the exchange typically goes something like this:

You: "Are you kidding me? That flippin' al-Qaeda terrorist sent his bomb-strapped wife and child into a public square to blow up innocent civilians! And you have no problem with the Arab Street (AKA Muslim Brotherhood, AJE, AJ, etc.) actually glorifying that!?"

Them: "Yeah, so what? Rush Limbaugh used to be fat!"

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#125 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

I just saw a docudrama the other day about Hitler and how he was a struggling artist as a youth... seemed to be making him out to be a bit of a sympathetic character.

I doubt it was trying to show his crimes against humanity as good things.

If it was anything like some American docudramas about killers it would follow the lines of: "He was bullied in primary school, so of course he grew up to rape, kill, dismember and eat 42 women. Bullying is bad." Glossing over the evilness of the man to send a message fitting the producer's agenda.

BTW Stewart: Thanks for invoking Godwin. :)

I would assume, but could be wrong, that this channel will be ad supported. It will be interesting who will buy ads on this network and what kind of backlash it will cause.

AJE has no ads.

AJE probably is not trying to have ads ... but AJA may end up "ad free" (or close to it) due to lack of ad sales instead of a decision.

If they do end up ad free I wonder where the money would come from to sustain the network? From the subscribers (DirecTV Choice, DISH AT200)? From the home office in the middle east?

#126 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Didn't News use to be ad free? I could swear at some point, it was standard practice for the news division of a network to be a 'loss', but it helped to prevent bias/slanting, because with no ad's, then you can focus on just news, and not non-news/ranting for ratings.
--
I'm sure you understand what i'm trying to say xD

#127 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Compared to today's commercial load, television used to be ad free. :)
Sponsorship mentions during shows turned into stand alone pre-taped commercials and the number of minutes for those commercials each hour has grown.

I am not old enough to remember news without commercials ... at least not the "standard" commercial load of other programming of the time. When one puts forth a channel that is presented as news all the time how would one do that without commercials? Hope that you made enough off of the overnight infomercials to pay for the daytime content?

It is unrealistic to expect a news channel to be commercial free unless they get enough of their funding from other sources that they do not need commercials.

Although it is interesting that during breaking news ... a time when more eyes are tuned to the channel and more people are paying attention ... that cable news channels will go commercial free. When they do that it shows that the news is still important to the channel ... more important than the commercials. (I do not expect "commercial free" for lesser "breaking news" stories ... but when they do it for big stories it impresses me.)

Of course, every commercial break is an excuse for the viewer to check out the competition ... so by not taking breaks they can hold the audience "captive", increase ratings, and make more in ad sales in the future. At least that would be the cynical way of looking at it.

#128 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

It wouldn't cost much for any remaining, oil pumping middle east dictatorship that wants to postpone victimization by the "Arab Spring" cover the operating costs of a low key, American Aljazerra, or to simply keep it the way it is in the United States now, primarily championing the plight of displaced Palestinians and oppressed Muslims. I think it could continue to do so without creating a firestorm that might elicit pressure to get it taken out of the basic tiers. I live in Washington, DC, where Aljazerra and Russia Today, and even a second Russia Today with Spanish audio accompanying time-shifted programming, are broadcast over the air yet never cause a public tremor.

I will reiterate here what I have said above, which is that most people who express opinions on Aljazerra simply haven't seen it. It is biased in favor of Muslims and Arabs but also in favor of downtrodden Africans. It is biased against the last vestiges of the colonial empires. Is that anti-American? Maybe, because we are still a substantial economic beneficiary of the last vestages of the colonial era, which include us paying tens or hundred of billions of dollars a year less for oil than we otherwise might if Saudi Arabia and Kuaitt and some Emirates I can't even correctly place on a map were ever ruled by governments that did not depend on U.S. support.

It is hard to comprehend how much money those families have. I did "business" with a teenager who is three generations younger than the ruling generation in one of those Sheikdoms, and he had a $2 million condominium all to himself while he attended a private high school here. Another guy in his early 20s from another of those countries with no job and very little on the ball lived in a $1.5 million condo in the same building and gave me a $100 tip when I connected him to DirecTV a decade ago. It created an awkward situation for me because he had added it into the check paying for the entire job, so I couldn't just decline it without doing something that was offensive in that he would have had to write another check, but I really didn't want to take it because it meant that if and when his TV ever went out (which it never did), it would be reasonable for him to expect an accelerated response from me, which is something I can't sell for $100.

Edited by AntAltMike, 12 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#129 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Compared to today's commercial load, television used to be ad free. :)
Sponsorship mentions during shows turned into stand alone pre-taped commercials and the number of minutes for those commercials each hour has grown.

I am not old enough to remember news without commercials ... at least not the "standard" commercial load of other programming of the time. When one puts forth a channel that is presented as news all the time how would one do that without commercials? Hope that you made enough off of the overnight infomercials to pay for the daytime content?

It is unrealistic to expect a news channel to be commercial free unless they get enough of their funding from other sources that they do not need commercials.

Although it is interesting that during breaking news ... a time when more eyes are tuned to the channel and more people are paying attention ... that cable news channels will go commercial free. When they do that it shows that the news is still important to the channel ... more important than the commercials. (I do not expect "commercial free" for lesser "breaking news" stories ... but when they do it for big stories it impresses me.)

Of course, every commercial break is an excuse for the viewer to check out the competition ... so by not taking breaks they can hold the audience "captive", increase ratings, and make more in ad sales in the future. At least that would be the cynical way of looking at it.

They might as well figure on leaving the Coke/Pepsi can on the news desk and use laptops with visible logos to cover the cost of commercial free breaking news.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#130 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, I think i'm thinking of when there weren't 24 hour news channels. Back when news was delivered by the networks (Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, etc). I think i'll have to do some research on it!
--
It was bought up as a point in one of the Newsroom episodes (which, btw, overall I love the show).
--
Maybe I can find an old Cronkite show and watch it, see if it showed commercials xD

#131 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I find it odd that so many people today criticize newscasters for relying on teleprompters when Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley, David Brinkley and Harry Reasoner instead just read typed reports.

#132 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I find it odd that so many people today criticize newscasters for relying on teleprompters when Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley, David Brinkley and Harry Reasoner instead just read typed reports.

Teleprompters have been a part of news broadcasts for a very long time (more than 25 years). There's alot of information that they have to communicate, and the goal is to do so accurately...so presenting it from text scrolls seems to have worked for a long time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#133 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, I think i'm thinking of when there weren't 24 hour news channels. Back when news was delivered by the networks (Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, etc). I think i'll have to do some research on it!
--
It was bought up as a point in one of the Newsroom episodes (which, btw, overall I love the show).
--
Maybe I can find an old Cronkite show and watch it, see if it showed commercials xD

My memory of televised TV news goes back to the days before the Kennedy assassination. There were always commercials during the news. In fact on some news sets there was an advertiser's logo prominently displayed. More blatant than the Coke cans or Dell logos on laptops of today.

Speaking of that tragic event, that may have been the first time that news broadcasts went commercial free. We had 4 days x 3 networks where the events were played out over and over again. That was a glimpse into the future "24-hour news cycle" (even though nearly all TV stations signed off nightly back then).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#134 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

The first tele-prompters I saw were paper based. Typed scripts that were pulled past a CCTV camera that fed the monitors under the cameras. The anchor had a stenographer style control under the desk where they could move the script forward and back (although it at least one place there was no back).

Information is better presented when it is written out and re-written in advance. Even if the presenter does not read from a teleprompter, knowing what will be said via scripting is a good way to organize the thoughts. But I have seen instances where this goes bad. One local station ALWAYS has a toss back question for their live reports. When a live report ends the anchor asks a question about the story and the live reporter responds. It makes it seem like the anchor was listening along ... although can look like "we left this fact out of the story" and makes the reporter look bad for not giving the full details in the original report. When the toss back question WAS answered in the original report it makes it look like the anchor was not listening. I wish they would go without the toss back question.

When a station is running unscripted it is worse ... and I understand that while news is breaking there has to be a certain amount of unscripted work. But the concept of writing out what one is going to say, organizing the thoughts and presenting them can still be done.

HBO's "Newsroom" is good at showing how much goes on before the hour that we see people on the air. On the better shows we are seeing the end of people's work days. They have spent hours putting together a presentation for the viewer. Some of that may be based on the hours airing before their program and can be adjusted right up to the moment each story is aired.

That is why I see news reporting as being intentional. It is not just some reporter or anchor sitting around a coffee table chatting about what is going on in the world. It is a presentation where people have decided what to say and how they will say it. They have decided what to leave in and take out of the stories. They have produced the news. If they have added in a slant or not bothered to take one out it is intentional.

#135 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

HBO's "Newsroom" is good at showing how much goes on before the hour that we see people on the air. On the better shows we are seeing the end of people's work days. They have spent hours putting together a presentation for the viewer. Some of that may be based on the hours airing before their program and can be adjusted right up to the moment each story is aired.

Anybody remember "E.N.G." out of Canada?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#136 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Yeah. From my understanding, most of the news stations have given it high marks for being pretty accurate as far as what goes into putting together a news broadcast.

#137 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have listened to and viewed many, many hours of Al Jazeera programming without encountering even one incidence of what I would label "anti-American". Some of what they report may make certain people uncomfortable because it does not fit into their cherished worldviews or political dogmas but that does not make it untruthful or "anti-American". We as a nation need far more exposure to news and views from around the world. Here's a good commentary on the subject:

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z6
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#138 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Agreed, very much so. And still no one has provided any documentary evidence that it's anti-American.

#139 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Agreed, very much so. And still no one has provided any documentary evidence that it's anti-American.

To use an old example...

It is far easier to stand on your porch and yell at the kids to get off of your lawn, than to get to know your neighbors and see whether or not the kids can safely play in your yard without causing trouble.

People tend to "like" what they know... and will take the familiar over the new in many circumstances. Offer them something different, and people tend to balk at the notion... sometimes to the extent of grasping at straws for reasons to explain their reluctance.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#140 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

When they criticize our Drone assassinations and show the collateral damage, is that anti-American?

spam firewall