Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera Gets Current

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

When they criticize our Drone assassinations and show the collateral damage, is that anti-American?

Only if the forget to mention the reason WHY such action was taken.

It is not like we randomly select civilian targets like a terrorist or suicide bomber.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Agreed, very much so. And still no one has provided any documentary evidence that it's anti-American.

There was a good post documenting AJE's anti-American slant earlier in the thread, but it has been buried by all the blind rants and blind admiration.

Those that want to see nothing wrong with AJ and their news networks never will. Just like the fans of each major US news network seem to believe there is nothing wrong with the programming it offers.

Fortunately no one MUST watch the channel ... whatever version ends up replacing Current. But a portion of our AT200 or Choice subscription (depending on satellite carrier) will go to pay for it.

#143 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

When they criticize our Drone assassinations and show the collateral damage, is that anti-American?

If it's the truth, No.

If the report is altered or the damage/casualties faked or the ordnance was fired by someone else, Yes.

The fact is that the US is directly responsible for a significant number of non-combatant casualties, but you won't see any of that on Fox.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#144 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Every year, tens of thousands of Mexicans die because we choose to have drug laws and enforcement policies (or lack thereof) in the United States that make those Mexican deaths predictable and often, inevitable. So if Mexico determines to its satisfaction that someone in the United States is responsible for Mexican deaths, but if we determine that, for due process reasons, we can't do anything about it at this time, how would we feel if Mexico fired a missile targeting people in the United States that were causing deaths in Mexico, but doing so killed a few dozen Americans at the same time?

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 January 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#145 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Only if the forget to mention the reason WHY such action was taken.

It is not like we randomly select civilian targets like a terrorist or suicide bomber.

True... but then do our news networks adequately and accurately cover our misdeeds in other countries? Like when we have had CIA agents attempting to assassinate other country leaders... or that time we tried to bomb Khadaffi (or however it is spelled this week) and instead killed another family member.

How about all those people years ago (minorities incidentally) we infected with syphilis and didn't treat? or the Native Americans that we tried to kill off with smallpox-blankets?

Yeah, some of that is old news... but every time we bring up a current event, about minorities or native americans or whatever, do we always cover the entire context and history of how we got to where we are now?

In all news there is a bit of he-said-she-said... and we tend to want to hear others say things that we already think ourselves... but it is very healthy to sit and listen to someone you don't agree with for a few minutes. Even if it doesn't change your mind, you at least are more informed.

It never hurts to listen. We talk all the time about how other countries don't want opposing viewpoints expressed... In this country we supposedly welcome all viewpoints and believe that IF you listen to all sides, the truth will win out in the end... so trying to extinguish or ignore something even if it truly is biased against America... well, that just seems short-sighted.

At worst you confirm everything you wanted to believe bad about "them"... at best you learn something new and perhaps soften your opinion against "them." Hard to consider either scenario a bad thing in the end to me.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#146 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

^ How much coverage did My Lai get at the time? I didn't learn about it until some time later.

The more recent massacre is getting some coverage, but not much.

Why was there a policy of 'no US body bags/caskets' for so long until fairly recently? Somebody didn't want the US public to see the cost of what was happening.

Why aren't US media teams covering the middle east conflicts the way they did Viet Nam? Back them, combat correspondents sent stories from the field, even though many were heavily censored. Field reports like those weren't even allowed in Iraq.

US media is more focused on which half-wit bimbo celebrity got knocked up than telling people what's really happening. I'd say E! is more anti-America that this network.

US Media outlets don't even fully cover home based stories. Are we still seeing recovery efforts on Long Island or the Jersey shore? Not really, but we heard about that Snookie thing getting a new tattoo.

#147 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

But boy-howdy, let somebody lead a chase on a freeway in certain places and it'll be covered like they're filming a remake of "The Sugarland Express".

#148 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

This story, copied here from Aljazerra's website, ran on AJE TV twice within the last hour and a half. I am waiting for it to come on again so I can compare the U.S. TV coverage to the content of this webite article. I'll try to reduce the width of the picture so as to avoid enlarging the column width, or perhaps a moderator can do it for me.

US strikes 'Taliban compound' in Pakistan

At least 16 suspected members of the Punjabi Taliban are believed killed in drone attack in South Waziristan.
Last Modified: 06 Jan 2013 15:20

(I just edited out the accompanying map picture, which is non-inflammatory and incidental, until I can reduce it to column width)

At least 16 people have been killed and several others wounded in a US drone strike against a suspected Taliban compound in Pakistan's South Waziristan region, according to Al Jazeera's Islamabad bureau.

About eight to 10 missiles were reportedly fired hitting three different targets including a compound in Babar Zariat, a border village between North and South Waziristan.

More fighters were believed to be in the locations when they were hit on Sunday, meaning the death toll may rise, according to the Reuters news agency.

The compounds were believed to house fighters belonging to the Punjabi Taliban, a group with close links to al-Qaeda,
intelligence officials said.

Al Jazeera identified the commander of the group as Qari Imran. But there is no confirmation on his death.

"We are not sure who was killed on the ground, whether they were indeed militants as claimed by the intelligence sources," Al Jazeera's Kamal Hyder said. "Normally, there are civilian casualties as well, particularly when compounds and houses are hit."

The Pakistan Taliban has established sanctuaries in the mountainous Babar area, 140km northeast of Wana, the headquarters of South Waziristan, officials added.

South Waziristan is controlled by the Pakistani army, which operates under an uneasy truce with fighters from the local Wazir tribe.

Sunday's strike follows the death of Mullah Nazir, a Waziri tribal leader, on Wednesday. Nazir supported attacks on US forces in Afghanistan but had signed two peace deals with the Pakistani army.

On Sunday, thousands of his tribesmen protested against his killing.

Edited by AntAltMike, 06 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#149 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

The above story page includes a link to this "related" new item from August. I don't remember if AJE showed this image. I will keep my eye on the television coverage of the above developing story to see how the subsequent coverage of the Pakistani reaction is covered.

As I am typing this, the above-referenced story just came around again and the reporter just said:

"In the past ten weeks, there has been an increase in the intensity of the attacks by the United States".

... and he referenced the hundred casualties of noncombatents in the other attacks. Pretty low key.

US air strikes hammer North Waziristan bases

At least 18 dead after hideouts attacked in border region a day after Pakistan summoned US diplomat over air raids.
Last Modified: 24 Aug 2012 11:12
Posted Image

.A US air raid has killed 18 suspected fighters near Pakistan's border with Afghanistan, Pakistani officials have said.

Fourteen other people were also reportedly injured after drone-fired missiles hit three compounds used by the fighters in North Waziristan on Friday, a day after Islamabad summoned a US diplomat to protest a recent series of strikes that have caused much collateral damage and civilian casualties.

The raid was the fourth attack in the span of a week, as well as the most deadly.

Officials, on condition of anonymity, said each of the three compounds, which are often used hideouts for fighters when they cross into Afghanistan, was hit by two missiles.

The drone campaign, which Washington sees as vital to combating armed groups, including al-Qaeda, has been a cause of friction between the two countries, as Pakistan sees the strikes as an infringement on its sovereignty.

"A senior US diplomat was called to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and informed that the drone strikes were unlawful, against international law and a violation of Pakistan's sovereignty. It was emphatically stated that such attacks were unacceptable," the Pakistani foreign ministry said in a statement. The diplomat was not identified.

Last week, five allies of a powerful warlord, Hafiz Gul Bahadur, whose forces often strike US troops in Afghanistan, died when a US drone struck their hideout in North Waziristan.

Pakistan campaign

On Sunday, US drones fired a flurry of missiles into the Pakistani tribal area bordering Afghanistan, killing 10 suspected fighters. On Tuesday, missiles targeting a vehicle killed five more suspected fighters.

All the strikes this week occurred in North Waziristan, one of the last areas of the tribal region in which the Pakistani military has not conducted any operations against fighters.

The US has pushed repeatedly for Pakistan to open an offensive there, and US Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta recently said Pakistani authorities would start a campaign there soon.

So far, there are few signs on the ground of a large-scale offensive.

The drone strikes are unpopular in Pakistan because many people believe they mostly kill civilians, an allegation disputed by the US.

Despite Pakistan's public protests, the government is widely believed to have supported the attacks quietly in the past.

That cooperation has come under pressure as the relationship between the two countries has deteriorated.

The US shows no sign that it is willing to end or curtail the controversial usage of drones.

Edited by AntAltMike, 06 January 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#150 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

When is current supposed to start carrying AJE?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#151 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Aljazerra just reported protests against the new Kuwaiti parliament and televised the police crackdown on the protesters. Is this being covered by American cable TV? I don't subscribe to cable, so I can't checkl myself

Edited by AntAltMike, 08 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#152 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

There was a good post documenting AJE's anti-American slant earlier in the thread, but it has been buried by all the blind rants and blind admiration.

Documenting? No, as far as I'm able to see it was simply an emotional post repeating the same hearsay we've heard before. Documenting implies documents, such as links to verify these claims.

#153 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

I love how everything on this site ends up being a DirecTV topic. DirecTV isn't the only provider that carries Current.

No they arent.....

Time warner Cable is trying to say THEY DIDNT DROP THEM DUE TO THIS!! (Which is most likely BS)

#154 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

I don't want to fund an organization that runs propaganda advocating violence against my fellow citizens. Al Jazeera is an avenue for Al Queida and the like to spread their videos worldwide. To me, from what I've seen, they go way beyond what anyone could call responsible journalism.

Sir, you don't know what you are talking about.

Saying that Al-Jazeera "runs propaganda" for al-Queda is like saying any other news organization does the same when reporting a news item.

For what it's worth, and I suspect it's not much since you seem to have already made up your mind, Al-Jazeera is run in *Qatar*. They're a pro-Western US ally in that country. It's not like Al-Jazeera runs "The Imam Today" show.

#155 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

It would be worth the extra $ to have Real news from a Neutral country.

Can you imagine that?

Does such a thing exist?

Ads wouldn't matter, as long as it met the above criteria.

#156 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

It would be worth the extra $ to have Real news from a Neutral country.

Can you imagine that?

Does such a thing exist?

Ads wouldn't matter, as long as it met the above criteria.

Is Switzerland a neutral country? Nah! They're rabidly anti gun control, and they abet money laundering. :P

#157 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

If I had my 'druthers, I'd opt for CBC if anything, but that doesn't appear likely.

#158 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Some of the talking heads were saying last week that if a U.S. candidate took positions espoused by members of the Labor Party in the Israeli Knesset, they would be seen as anti-Israeli and anti-American.

Edited by AntAltMike, 08 January 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#159 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Sir, you don't know what you are talking about.

Saying that Al-Jazeera "runs propaganda" for al-Queda is like saying any other news organization does the same when reporting a news item.

For what it's worth, and I suspect it's not much since you seem to have already made up your mind, Al-Jazeera is run in *Qatar*. They're a pro-Western US ally in that country. It's not like Al-Jazeera runs "The Imam Today" show.

http://www.meforum.org/3147/al-jazeera

As for allies, Japan professed to be our ally right up until they bombed Pearl Harbor. Pakistan claims to be our ally yet the were harboring Bin Laden right next to one of their military bases. Actions speak louder than words, and AJ's Arabic isn't what you see on their English feed.

You're going to believe whatever you want to believe, and I'm fine with that. If DirecTV carries this network, they do so at the risk of losing subscribers. I'm also fine with that, and I am likely to be one of them. Love it, hate it, whatever. It is what it is.

#160 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Since I don't understand Arabic, it doesn't really matter to me what Al Jazeera Arabic broadcasts. They could show Spongebob all day. I watch AJE, not AJA.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...