Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Al Jazeera Gets Current

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

http://www.meforum.org/3147/al-jazeera

As for allies, Japan professed to be our ally right up until they bombed Pearl Harbor. Pakistan claims to be our ally yet the were harboring Bin Laden right next to one of their military bases. Actions speak louder than words, and AJ's Arabic isn't what you see on their English feed.

You're going to believe whatever you want to believe, and I'm fine with that. If DirecTV carries this network, they do so at the risk of losing subscribers. I'm also fine with that, and I am likely to be one of them. Love it, hate it, whatever. It is what it is.

I certainly don't care of they lose subscribers who leave for their own misinformed reasons. In fact, I think it's pretty funny.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

As for allies, Japan professed to be our ally right up until they bombed Pearl Harbor. Pakistan claims to be our ally yet the were harboring Bin Laden right next to one of their military bases. Actions speak louder than words, and AJ's Arabic isn't what you see on their English feed.

Not sure what your point here is?

Is Qatar supposed to be launching WWIII?

I watched the spanish audio track of Terminator 2... and instead of "Hasta La Vista" Arnie says "Sayanara"... oh no! That means they changed it! What are they trying to hide in that movie? :rolleyes:

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#163 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Since I don't understand Arabic, it doesn't really matter to me what Al Jazeera Arabic broadcasts. They could show Spongebob all day. I watch AJE, not AJA.

That distinction might become more difficult when there is an Al Jazeera America.

AJ's content is important as it shows what is behind AJE. AJE is the "Westernized" version of AJ with less objectional material but the same roots. AJ America will be further "Americanized". How far below the surface they can keep the attitudes of the home office is yet to be seen.

And, as noted earlier in the thread, if they do too good of a job becoming "Americanized" the channel becomes less useful as an "independent voice".

#164 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

If DirecTV carries this network, they do so at the risk of losing subscribers. I'm also fine with that, and I am likely to be one of them.

Where will you go when all providers in your area carry it?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#165 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

And, as noted earlier in the thread, if they do too good of a job becoming "Americanized" the channel becomes less useful as an "independent voice".

Whatever they do, let's hope they don't follow the lead of BBC America.

#166 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

If I had my 'druthers, I'd opt for CBC if anything, but that doesn't appear likely.

Ironically that is the "roots" of the Current was Newsworld which was run by CBC. Sadly as a E* sub I never got to see Newsworld until it was sold.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#167 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

AJ's content is important as it shows what is behind AJE. AJE is the "Westernized" version of AJ with less objectional material but the same roots. AJ America will be further "Americanized". How far below the surface they can keep the attitudes of the home office is yet to be seen.

Isn't it possible to be two things?

Disney arguably puts out a lot of kids programming... but they also own the studio that produced "Color of Night"... an arguably very adult movie... so does one conclude that shows their "true colors" and you shouldn't let kids watch Disney G-rated movies, because they are just "sanitizing" those for the kids?

#168 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Isn't it possible to be two things?

Disney arguably puts out a lot of kids programming... but they also own the studio that produced "Color of Night"... an arguably very adult movie... so does one conclude that shows their "true colors" and you shouldn't let kids watch Disney G-rated movies, because they are just "sanitizing" those for the kids?

No. Not a good analogy IMHO.

If Disney put out a kids version of "Color of Night" then you might have a point. In any case to sanitize a story is to omit some relevant facts that would be needed to tell the complete story. But that would not be very different than our own MSM.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#169 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Some would come to that conclusion ... but they would support it with the not-so-"G" content that is in the G-rated movies. There is objectionable content in Disney movies that does not affect the rating.

How about a Disney version of Les Miserables? :nono2:

I like lwilli201's line of thinking ... a "G" rated version of Color of Night. AJE and AJ America might be "clean" versions of AJ. But just like the adult themes that are present in some Disney films (but not adult enough to blow the rating) the undercurrents of AJ are present in their other news channels.

#170 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

As you well know http://www.iptvconnection.com/ :)

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#171 OFFLINE   AlexCF

AlexCF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I wouldn't go anywhere. The antenna on the roof would see more use, and the money saved would be used to purchase full seasons of the shows I like. Plus there's a variety of streaming options available via the Internet.

The issue isn't the content that AJE would show. The issue is the motivations of AJ. AJE could run Sesame Street all day everyday, but if AJ is using their revenue to broadcast anti-US propaganda on non-English channels or through other means, I want nothing to do with it. Giving money to folks that condone or encourage violence against us is not a good idea. Regardless of what people feel about our current network "news" channels, none of them fall under that category.

#172 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I like lwilli201's line of thinking ... a "G" rated version of Color of Night. AJE and AJ America might be "clean" versions of AJ. But just like the adult themes that are present in some Disney films (but not adult enough to blow the rating) the undercurrents of AJ are present in their other news channels.

Actually, you just out-exampled me and gave me a better example :)

How about when an R-rated movie airs in primetime on CBS in an "edited for television" format?

If you're against nudity, then shouldn't you be against CBS for "cleaning up" a movie that contained nudity? What if people not only protested HBO and uncensored channels BUT also any channel that showed a censored version since we all know that guy isn't saying "fudge" and "darn"... all TV should be banned because it is either airing something offensive OR cleaning up something offensive and pretending it isn't being offensive since it was cleaned up!

:D

#173 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Giving money to folks that condone or encourage violence against us is not a good idea. Regardless of what people feel about our current network "news" channels, none of them fall under that category.

Are you sure?

Have you thoroughly investigated ALL the paths of money to the channels you watch?

What happens if someone who is "anti-american" donates to PBS... do you then also stop watching PBS?

Where would this end?

#174 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Like I said in my earlier post:

"Some of what they report may make certain people uncomfortable because it does not fit into their cherished worldviews or political dogmas but that does not make it untruthful or "anti-American".

Also, I hope no one is sufficiently naïve to think there are not "undercurrents" in almost everything one views and hears every day 24/7, no matter the source.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#175 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

The issue isn't the content that AJE would show. The issue is the motivations of AJ. AJE could run Sesame Street all day everyday, but if AJ is using their revenue to broadcast anti-US propaganda on non-English channels or through other means, I want nothing to do with it.

OK ... where was the outrage when beIN Sport was added to DirecTV and DISH late last year?

beIN Sport is owned and operated by Al Jazeera. I give it a pass because it is not a news channel and the commentators are talking about politics they are talking about football.

#176 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

If you're against nudity, then shouldn't you be against CBS for "cleaning up" a movie that contained nudity? What if people not only protested HBO and uncensored channels BUT also any channel that showed a censored version since we all know that guy isn't saying "fudge" and "darn"... all TV should be banned because it is either airing something offensive OR cleaning up something offensive and pretending it isn't being offensive since it was cleaned up!

Perhaps you are just playing "devil's advocate" and trying to incite an argument ... but believe it or not, people do complain when television airs beeps instead of swear words. The complaint is not that the viewer wanted to hear the swear word, but that the swear word was obvious to the viewer and the beeping failed to censor the program (and in a way emphasized the swear word by making the viewer fill in the blank from their own mind - thus making the viewer swear instead of just hearing the actor swear).

Yes - people actually filed complaints with the FCC about the beeps! And the FCC spent time ruling on the complaints.

The multi-ownership dominions of television make it difficult to choose a provider to boycott. CBS/Viacom, ABC/Disney, Fox, NBC/Universal ... they all have one outlet or another that could be considered offensive to someone. Perhaps different outlets of the same company even offend opposite people.

But AJ America and AJ English are similar in format to AJ ... they are news/commentary/indoctrination channels. Just like the news channels in the US except the ideas are not American based.

If I am going to be brainwashed by some flirty woman with not enough buttons done up on her blouse, or some shouting white guy, I want it to be an American ... or at least a Brit. :D

#177 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Most of the news presenters on AJ English are British citizens who formerly worked for UK broadcasters. Others previously worked for CNN International, TVNZ and many others.

Beware of those ideas that "are not American based"! You might become a bit more informed and open-minded as a result. Wouldn't want that to happen. :)
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#178 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Yeah... I really think this is a much ado about nothing situation.

Or I guess the modern equivalent is "haters gonna hate"...

#179 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

Beware of those ideas that "are not American based"! You might become a bit more informed and open-minded as a result. Wouldn't want that to happen. :)

Beware of those ideas that "are not Limbaugh/Gingrich based"! You might become a bit more informed and open-minded as a result. Wouldn't want that to happen.

Fixed that for ya'.

#180 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

I think this opposition to Al Jazeera may stem from a superficial reflex: anything Arabic = bad. Personally, I don't believe any one people are inherently "bad". The Arabic culture is vast and has given the world at large a lot of priceless gifts. Of course, any people will have their own ultra-conservatives and fundamentalists. Here in America we have plenty of our own.

spam firewall