Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XM returning on Jan 20th?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I have XM in the car and it sucks. The only reason I have it there is that:

1. It's only $4.88 a month due to their pestering and deals.

2. It sucks just a LITTLE less than FM.

3. The Saturday/Sunday (re)broadcast of "Casey Kasem's American Top 40" on '70s on 7 alone makes it worth the price of admission.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   full moon

full moon

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

I like XM

#23 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I loved XM before the merger :)

#24 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 186 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I like XM and I have it mainly because I have no real music options where I live. My station choices are Country, Country, Country, Classic Rock, Country, "Top 10" Modern Rock, and more Country.

I listen to a combination of "modern" rock, metal, 80s music and 90s alternative. None of my local FM/AM stations provide this for me.

Having it on DirecTV would provide *some* value, however I pay for the online listening so it would be limited.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#25 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

As a former XM and Sirius customer put me in the I don't care vote, I use Pandora now when I want music.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#26 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

The only option worth listening to is Pandora. Any other option is crap and a waste of bandwidth imho. Those music channels have some of the worst audio quality.

Digital music in general has bad audio quality. Nothing is better than pure analog audio from pure analog source. No compression; no codecs; just pure sound as it was created

#27 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

As a former XM and Sirius customer put me in the I don't care vote, I use Pandora now when I want music.

We currently subscribe to Sirius in my wife's vehicle and everywhere else is Pandora.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#28 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

More than 12 years ago, DMX was available on my BUD, played through a small receiver that hooked to my AVR. Cost was $10-$15 a month. The SQ was full range, and sounded great. Everything since then has not been so good, and I miss it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#29 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I loved XM before the merger :)

+1.

Once they merged, and dropped "Beyond Jazz," I dropped them...

#30 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Digital music in general has bad audio quality. Nothing is better than pure analog audio from pure analog source. No compression; no codecs; just pure sound as it was created

Like an LP or cassette? The noise and limited high end on those can be worse than the square wave clipping that you get from a digital source.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#31 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

If it weren't for SiriusXM in either form, I've had SAT radio since 2002, I would have road rage killed someone by now. I don't know how anyone can't love them for having commercial free music channels. Oh yea. FM is great. 3 songs then 10 minutes of commercials. That plain sucks.

#32 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

It's not happening. I don't know why this rumor comes up.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,546 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well, there we have it. See you next year for the next installment :)

#34 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

3. The Saturday/Sunday (re)broadcast of "Casey Kasem's American Top 40" on '70s on 7 alone makes it worth the price of admission.

I still wish XM aired AT40 the 80's too. I would love to see XM back on DirecTV though.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#35 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Excellent, I much prefer SonicTap.

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,107 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Well at least that clears up the Original Post.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Well at least that clears up the Original Post.

And therefore based on Satelliteracer's post, mod please close this thread. Thanks.

#38 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

If it weren't for SiriusXM in either form...I would have road rage killed someone by now.

Funny, I've half-kiddingly (at least I hope so) made this same kind of statement to a number of people, who generally look at me like I'm something more than half-crazy.

I suppose that some people just don't get the old adage of, "music soothes the savage beast." Although I guess it soothes some more than others, for me, it's definitely a whole lot less expensive than either therapy or an attorney! ;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#39 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Like an LP or cassette? The noise and limited high end on those can be worse than the square wave clipping that you get from a digital source.

All natural noise is analog. There is no purer or cleaner sound than analog.

Digital recording cannot, does not, and will never capture the entire sound wave of the audio source. It can only take fractional snapshots of the sound wave. That alone means that some of the quality is lost. Then this information is compressed and reinterpreted by the audio software and player as it turns the digital codes back into analog sound. This too removes some of the quality.

Basically you get analog turned to digital turn back to analog. The advantage is the sound does not degraded over time.

The best way for music to be recorded is through analog equipment. Many rock bands are going back to recording on analog tapes because of the clean crisp sound, even though it is a more expensive way to record as the amount of hours needed is greater than that through digital equipment. Plus high end analog equipment is actually more expensive.

You get analog remaining analog and listened to as analog. Exactly the way it was played and recorded.

Then there is the analog source to listen to the recording. Of course cassettes are the worst quality, but nothing is better than reel to reel for everyday home use. Also a good quality turn table with a new LP is so much better than any digital source.

Edited by DodgerKing, 04 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

It was on XM, which is almost like being on the Internet, which means it has to be true! ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...