Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade to Genie requires new pole?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ProgPic

ProgPic

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I don't see how this could be correct but that's what the installer told me.

We were scheduled for a Genie upgrade yesterday, but the installer came out with too few mini clients and needed to reschedule. I mentioned that we sometimes have signal loss on our local channels during storms(not too big of a deal since we've lived with it for years) and I thought he could simply re-peak the dish while he was here. He informs me that he will need to replace the pole mount which would require digging a new hole(very close to utility, phone lines, etc) in the dead of winter. While talking to his dispatcher this morning, I was told that the notes said that I need a new pole to bring the installation up 'to code'.

My concern is that we live in an extremely windy area on the top of a hill surrounding by acres of farmland, and if the pole is anything less than perfect, I'm positive we'll have problems. There is no line-of-sight issues with the current location and overall we are not too concerned with the occasional signal loss. Is there any logical reason why we would need a new pole or just a simple dish re-peaking?

Thanks for any help any of the professionals could give me as he is scheduled to come back tomorrow and I dread the idea of him tearing up my yard. Also, wouldn't he be required to call Miss Utility before digging?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

If you don't have an LOS problem, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

How high/long is the pole?

I had one that was about 6', and there was some concerns it would flex too much in high wind.

Filling the pole with cement will stiffen it, but I didn't need to, in my case.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   ProgPic

ProgPic

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

If you don't have an LOS problem, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

How high/long is the pole?

I had one that was about 6', and there was some concerns it would flex too much in high wind.

Filling the pole with cement will stiffen it, but I didn't need to, in my case.

It's very low to the ground, only about 3-4 feet.

I also forgot to mention, our dish is the regular slimline that's about 3-4 years old so I don't see anything withthe upgrade that would require a new dish, in turn possibly requiring a new pole.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Without "being there", it's hard to know what the installer was thinking.
The LNB may need changing to a SWiM, if it isn't one, as the HR34 requires SWiM.
:shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

1. he didn't have all the equipment to install your service
2. His warehouse is only open 6am till 8am (no installer close to get any equipment)
3. His excuse (quick) Is you install is not up to code -Means-
He could slip your upgrade without getting in trouble

Had he done the install -and gets QC checked and fails he is cut in half pay- Now he is in no danger of that by not touching your system.

BY D* Standard Pole is 6' Whole is to be dug in a bell shaped bottom min 3' Filled with cement (quick crete) bag in the bottom let it firm sink pole fill reset with quick crete- Level -let harded -mount dish

SO that leaves 4' of pole out of ground -so your fine- and you get resheduled and the next poor sole is stuck fixing it or not.

Just the way it works
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Is your current dish attached to an older pole mount that is using an adapter to make the newer dish fit? What are your current signal strengths for all the sats? BTW during heavy local weather you may lose locals anyway, even with a perfectly peaked dish.

#7 OFFLINE   ProgPic

ProgPic

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the help folks!

I just measured and the actual pole is 32'' above ground. This is bolted on to another vertical piece which holds the lnb and dish....I'm not sure if this is the adapter mentioned above. We originally had Dish years ago and switched to Directv about 3-4 years ago, so the pole may in fact be the original and really isn't up to 'code'. The problem is that the pole is located in a garden with a bunch of the wife's plants around the base and I'm sure she wouldn't be too thrilled to have them destroyed. Am I able to just refuse the new pole?

BTW, CCarncross, very cool avatar of a very underrated album.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

"The problem" may be that the OD of the pole isn't 2".
1 5/8" was used before the Slimline.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

BTW, CCarncross, very cool avatar of a very underrated album.

Not that underrated, it won a Grammy for Best Heavy Metal Album that year.....surprised the heck out of the Tull guys...and the Metallica guys...:lol:

Edited by CCarncross, 03 January 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

1. he didn't have all the equipment to install your service
2. His warehouse is only open 6am till 8am (no installer close to get any equipment)

Had an install the 31st and had it fixed on the 2nd. The Tech told me that on BOTH of those days the local warehouse was closed, leaving the drivers to scramble and swap to get work done.

spam firewall