Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Net

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

What is it? Is it a partnership with a phone company and Dish?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

URL ?

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

It's satellite internet.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Well, there is Dishnet Broadband, which is satellite internet, and then there is Dishnet Wireline, which is Dish tv, and phone/internet through a telco that E* bought out, all serviced through Dish.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

What is it? Is it a partnership with a phone company and Dish?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209144

#6 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't know what the details are for the new DishNet Broadband, but if it is anything like the crappy Starband Internet satellite service we had for a few years (before switching to Wild Blue), they can keep it. Even though I never thought it would ever come to pass in our very remote & rural area, we finally did get DSL service from the local telephone company a couple of years ago. And even though we have sub-standard performance from our DSL (since we are at 21,000 feet from the local switch house), it still beats the pants off of either of the two satellite services we had, mostly due to the inherent latency issues with satellite Internet (independent of the provider).

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

It has been a disappointment since it wasn't what was expected. In most cases it is most like Wild Blue and Hughes Net.

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't know what the details are for the new DishNet Broadband, but if it is anything like the crappy Starband Internet satellite service we had for a few years (before switching to Wild Blue), they can keep it. Even though I never thought it would ever come to pass in our very remote & rural area, we finally did get DSL service from the local telephone company a couple of years ago. And even though we have sub-standard performance from our DSL (since we are at 21,000 feet from the local switch house), it still beats the pants off of either of the two satellite services we had, mostly due to the inherent latency issues with satellite Internet (independent of the provider).

That was I thought.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

It has been a disappointment since it wasn't what was expected. In most cases it is most like Wild Blue and Hughes Net.

It is HughesNet, Dish bought them out about a year ago. Speeds are typicallly 3-10 Mbps down, 266k up. Latency issues still apply. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Since we already have a discussion on this, I think it makes sense to close this one... Please continue here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209144

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...