Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish: "The meanest company in America"?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I don't know how much merit there is in ranking companies based on the number of anonymous complaints on a website but I did find this article to be interesting. There are some pretty good comments from current and former employees here as well. Most of us have heard the horror stories about Charlie before but some of the people that work for him put a thought-provoking (at least for me) twist on his motives and the anecdotes about investor / analyst relationships are entertaining.

Personally I've been a customer for almost 14 years now and have experienced some pretty excellent customer service from them with few exceptions.

http://www.businessw...y-in-america#p1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

A few months ago they were voted worst company in America to work for. Those of us in the industry have heard the stories for a long time and work with some former Dish folks. Interesting to say the least.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Don't believe everything you read!

A few months ago they were voted worst company in America to work for. Those of us in the industry have heard the stories for a long time and work with some former Dish folks. Interesting to say the least.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

BELIEVE IT from a long time former dealer.

#5 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,835 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I believe every bit of it.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

A few months ago they were voted worst company in America to work for.

Actually this article is based on the same data as the September article. I suppose waiting three months and republishing old information makes it news?

Previous thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=208108
Previous article: http://jobs.aol.com/...for-in-america/

Not exactly "voted" the worst company to work for ... just having the most complaints on a particular website.

#7 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Actually this article is based on the same data as the September article. I suppose waiting three months and republishing old information makes it news?

Not exactly "voted" the worst company to work for ... just having the most complaints on a particular website.

Still doesn't change the results.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#8 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Dish Network sub since 2001 and IMO Dish has been one of the best companies I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. Never have I had an issue with them and the 2 times that I have had to have receivers replaced it was an easy process. When I moved they were prompt in getting me set up at my new address using dish mover. I enjoyed the 6 years I had distant networks and I took advantage of them by subing to NY/CHI/DEN/LA up until they were forced to take distants down and even then they found a solution by partnering with AAD.

KUDOS to E* best TV provider out there.....

#9 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I thought that the interviews with former employees and the comments from at least two verified former employees made it much more interesting than what was reported in those earlier articles.

#10 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Here I though my opinion of Charlie couldn't get any worse and it hits an all time low. Wow. Just a poor excuse for a human being.
DTV = Digital Television

#11 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Here I though my opinion of Charlie couldn't get any worse and it hits an all time low. Wow. Just a poor excuse for a human being.

nobody asked your opinion

#12 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

who cares!!!!
as far as i know they provide a better product
they are still better than directv

#13 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

who cares!!!!

Nobody asked your opinion either.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#14 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

What I find interesting is this same article and topic is posted on both the Dish and Direct subforums. The responses in each forum are very different.

Here in the Dish forum many people simply ignore what the article is saying and get defensive of any criticism, even if it can be proven to be true.

In the Direct forum, many interpret the negative statements made by "former" Dish employees as a generalization of how things are for everyone.

One's own bias is clear on how they interpret this article.

#15 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

I think the author had an agenda, and the article is heavily slanted towards stating that agenda. That said, I believe that Charlie's style of 'management' leaves much to be desired.

#16 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

who cares!!!!

Oh, I remember you. I thought (or perhaps hoped) you had just faded away. :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I don't have to, I work with a number of former Dish employees whom I trust very much.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

The problem here is... former employees are usually former employees for a reason. Either they left on their own OR were fired... Obviously fired people will have a negative opinion... and most people leaving voluntarily are doing so because of bad feelings.

So... it would be like doing a survey of patients in the emergency room and then extrapolating it to determine that ALL people are sick ALL the time.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#19 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I think their expense policy around tipping speaks for itself... if a person or company wants to short poorly paid waitstaff it's their prerogative. However I think it says a lot about the character (or lack thereof) of the individual or company.
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I don't have to, I work with a number of former Dish employees whom I trust very much.

And you plainly work for an opposing company.

I am not saying that you are biased. But if you were biased, would you not be biased toward the company providing a paycheck for you and your family?

Onward ... I hope that most employees have a better day than those who end up pissing and moaning on the Internet about their former employers. You won't find me badmouthing a former employer or a competitor on the internet. It isn't the way I roll. (BTW: I have not worked for a satellite provider.)

If I have to deal with a DISH employee I'll try to make their day better ... otherwise, lets watch TV.

spam firewall