Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish: "The meanest company in America"?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think their expense policy around tipping speaks for itself... if a person or company wants to short poorly paid waitstaff it's their prerogative. However I think it says a lot about the character (or lack thereof) of the individual or company.

I work for state government, and my employees are responsible for auditing employee travel expenses. I hear this argument once in a while. Our travel regulations clearly state that we will only reimburse up to 15% on meals. That being said, employees are free to leave tips bigger than 15% they just won't be reimbursed for it. I think if people are so concerned about the size of the tip on expensed meals they should not have a problem with it coming out of their own pocket.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Oh, I remember you. I thought (or perhaps hoped) you had just faded away. :lol:

the truth hurts buster

#23 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Don't believe everything you read!

Does that include your posts? :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

I work for state government, and my employees are responsible for auditing employee travel expenses.

Since you are spending my money (the taxpayer's money) I especially appreciate not spending more that what is reasonable and customary.

If a person wants to give a tip that is higher than reasonable and customary it should be on that person. The employee is spending the company's (or in your case, the public's) money. The same goes for the price of the meal or lodging or any other expense charged to the company.

People should be generous with their own money ... not others.

#25 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

I found the complaint about no paid holidays to be a very strange one. Television is not something that gets used only "during normal business hours." Usage would increase on holidays and weekends, making it a 24x7 industry. Medical institutions typically don't have paid holidays, either. It's part of the business to be available at all hours. No mention is made in the article as to whether they receive more than average vacation time to make up for the lack of paid holidays. So if they get 4 weeks of vacation at the start instead of 2, but no paid holidays, they really aren't worse off.

I found the section on requiring employees to be in on time a bit odd, but you can also see that by going to fingerprint scanning because people were cheating under the old system that the problems management are dealing with are real. If people had been honest, the old card system would still be in place. Probably most people were honest, but they don't put heavy locks and alarms on the doors of the jewelry store because most people are thieves...

#26 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

No, I speak from the positive side... the Force by with me!

Does that include your posts? :sure:

#27 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

No, I speak from the positive side... the Force by with me!

And from the side that gets paid! :lol:

#28 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

The problem here is... former employees are usually former employees for a reason. Either they left on their own OR were fired... Obviously fired people will have a negative opinion... and most people leaving voluntarily are doing so because of bad feelings.

So... it would be like doing a survey of patients in the emergency room and then extrapolating it to determine that ALL people are sick ALL the time.

Maybe, but when one becomes two, two becomes four, four becomes eight....patterns are hard to ignore.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I find dish to be exceptionally good. Never experienced a bad employee on the phone. Directs equipment sucks. I had them for years and their receiver had constant problems. Dish may not be perfect, but, they are close enough. As far as their employee's, that's not my concern. No job is great today but its a paying job. I am a customer and all that counts is how I am treated which has been stellar so far.

#30 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

So... it would be like doing a survey of patients in the emergency room and then extrapolating it to determine that ALL people are sick ALL the time.

Or asking people in jails about their experiences with the police and the courts.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#31 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

the truth hurts buster

Yeah, you're absolutely right, the truth can hurt ... and I do feel your pain bub. :lol:

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

From the article (emphasis added):

Although Dish had more than 100 people employed in its marketing department and reams of customer data to analyze, when it came time to figure out how much it was going to charge for satellite service, Ergen went into his office and came up with the final number alone. “It would be like the CEO of Kraft (KRFT) getting up in the morning and determining how much they were going to charge at retail for 12 slices of American cheese,” says [Former President and CEO] Neuman. “It wasn’t that he didn’t invite input or share his thought process, because he did both. It’s just that he’d had his hands on the wheel for so long that he trusted his own judgment the best.”

What made it worse, Neuman says, is that Ergen was almost always right. Eight months after accepting the job, Neuman resigned.

Basically, it's Charlie's company as founder and majority shareholder. When he's right he wins and when he's wrong he loses.

The man's known to be combative and aggressive with a strong "you can't do that to me" attitude. The question is: "How do you like your Hopper?" It could only come from a company aggressively willing take on the media industry. And that company is owned by Charlie. If you choose to go to work for Dish, that's who you're working for.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I choose to do business with those who are ethical and well run. Therefore, I choose not to do business with Dish Network.
DTV = Digital Television

#34 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

I choose to do business with those who are ethical and well run. Therefore, I choose not to do business with Dish Network.

The terms "ethical" and "well run" are subjective.

In the corporate world according to Wall Street "well run" means "makes money today" and nothing more.

In my world, I choose to do business with those who offer products I want based on quality, features, convenience, and price. I've used Echostar/Dish equipment since 1988 beginning with C-band.

I have no idea about the "ethics" of a major company because I don't have credible sources beyond my own experience. If I really were to focus deeply on morality, I'd "live off the grid", walk everywhere, eat vegan, not use any electronics of any kind, give most of my retirement income to the needy, and slowly go crazy.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#35 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm not sure if its different for salary folks, but I (and all the other hourly dish employees I know) get 7 paid holidays a year (new years, easter, fourth of july, labor day, thanksgiving, black friday, and christmas), and if I work on the holiday, I get the holiday pay plus my regular pay. So, not sure where the no paid holidays part comes from, unless its salary folks.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#36 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Maybe, but when one becomes two, two becomes four, four becomes eight....patterns are hard to ignore.

What pattern? That disgruntled ex-employees are disgruntled?

Again, not defending Dish... I don't know enough to do so... but seriously, what pattern emerges by only asking questions of a targeted group?

100% of women who divorced their husbands due to adultery think men are adulterers... Wow, what a great survey! :rolleyes:

Somehow I doubt you really know that much about all the businesses you engage with... otherwise, you probably would not be able to do much business.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Somehow I doubt you really know that much about all the businesses you engage with... otherwise, you probably would not be able to do much business.

I know enough about Dish to not do business with them. Some people don't mind being associated with crooks, others do.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   fourhokiefans

fourhokiefans

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I know enough about Dish to not do business with them. Some people don't mind being associated with crooks, others do.

What a self righteous, indignant statement. Your post implies that those of us who do subscribe to Dish are making a choice to associate with crooks -which is nothing less than asinine. What I find interesting about this forum is that I expect my comment to be censored for criticizing your statement, while your post blatantly calling someone a crook without any basis will probably be allowed to remain. TROLL:D

#39 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,219 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

I don't read it as that. OTOH, you've become quite personal...
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#40 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Dish isn't a person I associate with. Neither is Walmart or Apple.

Sometimes high level employees of these companies do things I don't like, but I'm not going to choose not to order using my iPad something I need that is available through Walmart's web site at an incredibly low price. That doesn't mean I associate with anyone at either company.

Dish Network cannot be mean or a crook, only some of the people who work for it can be mean if they choose. I haven't met any mean Dish employees or crooks among them, but if I do I won't associate with them.

My AV Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...