Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish: "The meanest company in America"?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure if its different for salary folks, but I (and all the other hourly dish employees I know) get 7 paid holidays a year (new years, easter, fourth of july, labor day, thanksgiving, black friday, and christmas), and if I work on the holiday, I get the holiday pay plus my regular pay. So, not sure where the no paid holidays part comes from, unless its salary folks.

Same here.
Im a former employee so most would think my opinion of Dish would be negative but fact of the matter is they paid well, offered a ton of P4P bonuses on every single pay check, extra money for upselling packages.

Getting paid 16$ an hour(accounting for p4p) not including over time(which was also multiplied by P4P separately which is awesome), in south texas when everyone else was either being paid 9$ an hour or was making comparable wages by working in a prison was quite nice.
Seriously, as a college student walking away with a 1000$ pay check, when all your friends are struggling to make 500$ at other jobs in that same period is quite nice.

Really the only thing that was weird was not qualifying for sick days until you have worked for Dish for 2 years. But even then they offer you a crap ton of PTO (paid time off), a lot of LEPC and a lot of UPTO that you really dont need the sick days.

Really the only bad thing about working there, are your retarded co-workers who seem to think there still in high school :lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

I know enough about Dish to not do business with them. Some people don't mind being associated with crooks, others do.

I am curious as to what factual information this statement is based on. My experience with Dish has always been positive and pleasant, I can honestly say that I have received customer service equal to Dish from very few companies.

I had a friend who moved to an apartment AFTER signing a 2 year contract. There was no line of sight at the new apartment so service was unavailable. They originally wanted over $400 to let her out of the contract. After speaking to several service representatives, one representative suggested downgrading her service to the minimum level, which was $9.95/mo for the rest of the contract. which ended up costing less than $200. I thought that was a nice compromise on the part of Dish, since my friend was at fault for not verifying service availability at the new location before moving.

#43 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Dish isn't a person I associate with. Neither is Walmart or Apple.

But Walmart is filthy through to the core, from the store level management up through the highest levels of the boardroom. One of those companies that's too dirty to get caught and prosecuted. Stories all over the world about corruption and mistreatment of workers.

They will never get a dime from me.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#44 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I don't know how Walmart isn't on top of this list. My current gripe is and I realize January and February are the slow season they have cut our hours back. Highest we get is 38 a week but for most of the last 6 months we've got 36 now we're down we're down 34. Thats full time people part time is even worse. Coming from a company that makes what 27 billion in profit can't afford to pay us the same in the slow times even the amount of work doesn't change.

#45 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I am curious as to what factual information this statement is based on. My experience with Dish has always been positive and pleasant, I can honestly say that I have received customer service equal to Dish from very few companies.

I had a friend who moved to an apartment AFTER signing a 2 year contract. There was no line of sight at the new apartment so service was unavailable. They originally wanted over $400 to let her out of the contract. After speaking to several service representatives, one representative suggested downgrading her service to the minimum level, which was $9.95/mo for the rest of the contract. which ended up costing less than $200. I thought that was a nice compromise on the part of Dish, since my friend was at fault for not verifying service availability at the new location before moving.

Factual information? Look no further than their lawsuits. Crooks, thieves, and liars.
DTV = Digital Television

#46 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I don't know how Walmart isn't on top of this list. My current gripe is and I realize January and February are the slow season they have cut our hours back. Highest we get is 38 a week but for most of the last 6 months we've got 36 now we're down we're down 34. Thats full time people part time is even worse. Coming from a company that makes what 27 billion in profit can't afford to pay us the same in the slow times even the amount of work doesn't change.

They made only a paltry $15,000,000,000. It's customary to deduct taxes and interest....

If you're doing the same work in 34 hours that you used to get paid for 38 hours..... it's good to cut down padding.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#47 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Factual information? Look no further than their lawsuits. Crooks, thieves, and liars.

:lol: Its funny when its not me.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#48 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

They made only a paltry $15,000,000,000. It's customary to deduct taxes and interest....

If you're doing the same work in 34 hours that you used to get paid for 38 hours..... it's good to cut down padding.

Good for who ? Certainly not the workers, unless you're raising their hourly rate to compensate....
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#49 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Good for who ? Certainly not the workers, unless you're raising their hourly rate to compensate....

Welcome to the world of capitalism!!!!!

America should of woken up 30 years ago......now everyone pays!!

We also subsidize many Walmart workers because the pay is less than a living wage..

There called the working poor....

Food stamps, and Medicaid are just a few things workers qualify for, sad but true.

#50 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Welcome to the world of capitalism!!!!!

America should of woken up 30 years ago......now everyone pays!!

We also subsidize many Walmart workers because the pay is less than a living wage..

Food stamps, and Medicaid are just a few things workers qualify for, sad but true.

Croney capitalism is not capitalism. Plus name a single better system. Even in our current system our working poor live in luxury compared to how most worldwide live.

Edited by DodgerKing, 06 January 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

" They're "

#52 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

We are basically not doing the same work. Customer service goes to the crapper long waits at check out and no one to cover other service areas. And everything else gets done half ass.

#53 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

" They're "

hope you feel better?.....

#54 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Croney capitalism is not capitalism. Plus name a single better system. Even in our current system our working poor live in luxury compared to how most worldwide live.

A union work force!(white collar also).... Thats why the middle class is gone! hello...LOL

#55 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

A union work force!(white collar also).... Thats why the middle class is gone! hello...LOL

Usually, you take your life into your hands these days if you dare bring up unions. I can't say I have been the biggest supporter of unions (as they often bring their own baggage into the equation), but, there is a reason why we have (or in some cases, had) so many benefits that folks have taken for granted or have historically forgotten where they came from, such as 5-day work weeks, sick time, vacation time, paid holidays, overtime pay, holiday pay, health insurance, etc., etc. Like them or hate them, the fact remains that if it wasn't for the union movement, a lot of that stuff simply would never have come into existence in this country. Unfortunately, it seems like a number of these benefits are being eroded, reduced, or outright taken away by a number of companies and employers these days.

#56 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about. Your reply has nothing to do with what I said.

#57 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Unions are also a big reason why so many companies buy their merchandise in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka instead of Memphis and Dayton.

Tying back into topic, does Dish use ANY off-shore call centers? I'm assuming the hardware is made off-shore like most electronics are.

#58 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Unions are also a big reason why so many companies buy their merchandise in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka instead of Memphis and Dayton.

The union thing is admittedly off-topic, but there seems to be a number of off-topic posts in this thread. Beyond that, I have the feeling that the companies you reference would be going to Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, China and elsewhere for raw materials, merchandise, manufacturing, labor ... you name it, not because of American unions or union workers (which are at there lowest ebb in decades), but because of bottom-line, bean-counting, cut-it-to-the-bone, multinational corporate thinking.

Tying back into topic, does Dish use ANY off-shore call centers? I'm assuming the hardware is made off-shore like most electronics are.

That's a good question. I don't definitively know the answer, but I have to say that everyone I have called at Dish over the years (and even recently) strike me as being right here in the good old USA (and it's pretty evident when call centers are off-shore). ;)

#59 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

:eek2::eek2::eek2: I didn't know DISH would still charge an ECF if there is NLOS. That seems odd. I could see it still being charged if their new landlord didn't permit Satellite, but not if it couldn't be installed due to NLOS.

#60 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

The union thing is admittedly off-topic, but there seems to be a number of off-topic posts in this thread. Beyond that, I have the feeling that the companies you reference would be going to Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, China and elsewhere for raw materials, merchandise, manufacturing, labor ... you name it, not because of American unions or union workers (which are at there lowest ebb in decades), but because of bottom-line, bean-counting, cut-it-to-the-bone, multinational corporate thinking.

Comparative advantage. Companies go out of business if they ignore that principle long enough. Started with NYC moving manufacturing to NJ, then to The Carolinas, Kentucky, Ohio, etc, then Mexico and Asia. An oversimplification but illustrative.

And some unions are the reason some industries can't make it in the U.S.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall