Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish: "The meanest company in America"?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Factual information? Look no further than their lawsuits. Crooks, thieves, and liars.

So... how do you even own a computer to post here? Aren't most computers, or at least some components of most computers, made in another country like China that would fit your bill of not being perfect? So... why are you doing business with them?

edit: *I* am not characterizing China in a bad way... but the same logic-leap Hoosier uses to vilify Dish seems like he said he uses that same criteria to not do business with anyone else as well.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Guys ... while there have been some off topic posts in this thread, consider this your friendly moderator reminder that this is not a political forum. So please, keep the political comments out of your posts going forward.

Thank You.

#63 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

So... how do you even own a computer to post here? Aren't most computers, or at least some components of most computers, made in another country like China that would fit your bill of not being perfect? So... why are you doing business with them?

edit: *I* am not characterizing China in a bad way... but the same logic-leap Hoosier uses to vilify Dish seems like he said he uses that same criteria to not do business with anyone else as well.

Whatever you say Stew. The topic is Dish Network. They have an abysmal track record and a record of theft, deceit, and unethical behavior. We have two options in sat providers and it appears that one holds themselves to a higher standard than the other.
DTV = Digital Television

#64 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

" They're "

OH Stop! :icon_lame

#65 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

OH Stop! :icon_lame

Should be "Oh, stop!" :D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Whatever you say Stew. The topic is Dish Network. They have an abysmal track record and a record of theft, deceit, and unethical behavior. We have two options in sat providers and it appears that one holds themselves to a higher standard than the other.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Now lets see if anyone who has not expressed a constant hate of DISH network for the past several years has anything else to add.

#67 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Wow we get it you hate Dish Network, now to our regular programming

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#68 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Tying back into topic, does Dish use ANY off-shore call centers? I'm assuming the hardware is made off-shore like most electronics are.

If I remember correctly they have a few mega call centers off shore.
For sure 1 in Hyderabad, India, then I'm positive theres another one in Nuevo Leon , Mexico (but Im pretty sure the agents here only do spanish calls).

And lastly I know for sure theres one somewhere in the Phillipines but I dont recall what city it was, how ever at Dish they have a system called starbase that actually has a list of all call centers and images of what they look like and I gotta say the architecture for that call center is just amazing, thats really what stood out most for me while working there lol. Its a beautiful building. Some agents at this center do English calls mostly late at night or when the queue is over flowing, I believe they also handle transfers to certain departments.

#69 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

Just for fun...

DirecTV thrives on 'deception,' lawsuit alleges

DirecTV settles lawsuit with states

New Class Action Lawsuit Against DirecTV for Charging Credit Cards w/o Authorization

I could probably find more.

#70 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

We have two options in sat providers and it appears that one holds themselves to a higher standard than the other.

Oh, I agree. That's why DirecTV has a D+ rating from the BBB and Dish has an A-.

#71 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Just for fun...

DirecTV thrives on 'deception,' lawsuit alleges

DirecTV settles lawsuit with states

New Class Action Lawsuit Against DirecTV for Charging Credit Cards w/o Authorization

I could probably find more.

You will find the exact same type with any company, But you won't find a Tivo,Rainbow Media lawsuit worth about 1 billion dollars.
Or Disney/ ABC dispute thats been going on for years now.

Edited by damondlt, 07 January 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#72 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Oh, I agree. That's why DirecTV has a D+ rating from the BBB and Dish has an A-.

You know whats Funny, If you looked at this 2 years ago Directv was an F and Dish was a C.

Not really sure what makes or changes the ratings.

I find it funny that Dish still has over 900 of unresolved cases and Directv doesn't have any.
Makes you wonder what these ratings mean?:eek2:

#73 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

You will find the exact same type with any company, But you won't find a Tivo,Rainbow Media lawsuit worth about 1 billion dollars.
Or Disney/ ABC dispute thats been going on for years now.

Well... DirecTV agreed to pay licensing money to Tivo instead of fighting a lawsuit... so while I don't know what it cost them... and it wasn't a lawsuit... it sure wasn't free!

And DirecTV never carried the "Voom" channels... so there couldn't be a lawsuit with that company.

Dish doesn't have any other big payouts than those do they?

My point, though, was to show that as you say all companies have issues... so when someone declares they don't do business with "crooked" companies... and equated Dish = crooked... I felt it was only fair to note that he wasn't applying that same criteria to his provider.

#74 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Well... DirecTV agreed to pay licensing money to Tivo instead of fighting a lawsuit... so while I don't know what it cost them... and it wasn't a lawsuit... it sure wasn't free!

I don't remember any Tivo Dish equipment

But I do remember a TON of Tivo Directv equipment.

Here you go .
http://venturebeat.c...tles-tivo-suit/

#75 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

You will find the exact same type with any company, But you won't find a Tivo,Rainbow Media lawsuit worth about 1 billion dollars. Or Disney/ ABC dispute thats been going on for years now.

You will find innovative receivers that someone else wanted to take credit for (and unfortunately were "close enough" in a friendly courts eyes to lose the suit). The Voom deal was an attempt to offer innovative programming that other providers did not have ... unfortunately Voom refused to produce enough new material to make their channels worthwhile. And the ABC/Disney problem was a case of DISH believing that they should be given the same deal as other competitors. (If SD includes HD on another carrier, why shouldn't it be that way for DISH?)

With DISH you won't find a company with a string of owners making their money then selling it off every few years. And you won't find a long string of CEOs that one cannot name without looking at a list.

#76 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

I don't remember any Tivo Dish equipment
But I do remember a TON of Tivo Directv equipment.

Exactly ... DISH built their own equipment, DirecTV just went the licensing route.

DirecTV ended up paying Tivo a lot of money over the years to have a DVR. DISH settled the lawsuit with similar payments. The ruling only paid Tivo what DISH would have paid had they been licensing the technology all along. It was a wash.

#77 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

You will find innovative receivers that someone else wanted to take credit for (and unfortunately were "close enough" in a friendly courts eyes to lose the suit). The Voom deal was an attempt to offer innovative programming that other providers did not have ... unfortunately Voom refused to produce enough new material to make their channels worthwhile. And the ABC/Disney problem was a case of DISH believing that they should be given the same deal as other competitors. (If SD includes HD on another carrier, why shouldn't it be that way for DISH?)

OK thats all hear say and apperently not the truth cause a lost lawsuit shows Dish was the guilty party not Rainbow media.

http://www.hollywood...-settled-381472

And show me the ABC Disney Dispute that shows what everyone else is getting and paying.

Edited by damondlt, 07 January 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#78 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Exactly ... DISH built their own equipment,

With Stolen Technology from Tivo. Which the lawsuit proved correct.:lol:

#79 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

DISH settled the lawsuit with similar payments. The ruling only paid Tivo what DISH would have paid had they been licensing the technology all along. It was a wash.

Are you kidding me, LOL you really believe that.:hurah:

You forgot about the 8 years Directv profitted from Tivo.

#80 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

We hashed all of this out when the arguments were current ... please see previous threads.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...