Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish: "The meanest company in America"?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

We hashed all of this out when the arguments were current ... please see previous threads.

Yea thats what I thought!:lol:

A wash, Priceless !

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Oh, I agree. That's why DirecTV has a D+ rating from the BBB and Dish has an A-.

Sounds like you need to read up on the BBB. You have to pay for ratings. It's a sham.
DTV = Digital Television

#83 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Oh, man. Is it time to lock this thread yet?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#84 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Oh, man. Is it time to lock this thread yet?

I know I'm sorry I started it now. I hoped it might spur some discussion on how management styles can be viewed differently by different types of employees, how some people praised Charlie even while they couldn't stand working for him, and the overall idea of publishing an article like this based strictly on a website where people only go to complain. The article really made me go back and think about the managers and executives I've worked for over the years and the impressions they made on me. Some who I couldn't stand at the time ended up being very good for me, others who I really liked at one point eventually revealed themselves to be something much less than I thought. And some of them taught me valuable lessons - often about how NOT to do something.

Sadly this just turned into a mess. I'm not sure why people have to make themselves feel better about the choice in TV they made by ripping on the other guys. I chose Dish but I don't think people that choose DTV or Cable are somehow less intelligent than me. Is it just me or has this forum gotten less friendly in the last 3 years?

Edited by bobukcat, 07 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#85 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Is it just me or has this forum gotten less friendly in the last 3 years?

No, it's not just you as I have to say that I've noticed the same thing even though I don't have a huge post count (I often read more than responding or initiating threads/posts). I am a member of probably over 80 forums on a variety of subjects and I am more active on some than others, but I have noticed a trend of increased nastiness on a lot of them. That said, I also know of a couple of forums who have bucked the trend and have gotten more civil.

#86 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Mean and nasty? You want mean and nasty? Look at some of the forums catering to public safety and see how some of the people carrying guns and badges act when they think they're among their own.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#87 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Oh, I agree. That's why DirecTV has a D+ rating from the BBB and Dish has an A-.

Ratings from the BBB are worthless. The BBB itself is also worthless. I'm not saying that DirecTV is better than Dish, but comparisons using the BBB aren't strong reasons one way or the other.

#88 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Mean and nasty? You want mean and nasty? Look at some of the forums catering to public safety and see how some of the people carrying guns and badges act when they think they're among their own.

Take it easy. You can always find more outrageous examples of "mean and nasty" elsewhere (and I am on a few of those kinds of forums so I am well aware of what you are talking about). The only comment that was made concerning this forum was the possibility of it being "less friendly".

#89 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

This is nothing compare to other forums I go to where you really see their true colors come out, I guess that's the way of life sometimes when there is competition and FANBOYS, shoot look at Apple or Samsung forums which goes back and forth rinse and repeat over processor chips comes from Samsung, and ofcourse those political forums which get rrrreeally nasty.

#90 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

This is nothing compare to other forums I go to where you really see their true colors come out, I guess that's the way of life sometimes when there is competition and FANBOYS, shoot look at Apple or Samsung forums which goes back and forth rinse and repeat over processor chips comes from Samsung, and ofcourse those political forums which get rrrreeally nasty.

I didn't mean to imply that it had reached those levels. I avoid political forums like the plague and I do read a lot of tech forums but steer clear of the comments sections on most of them because of the rabid fanboism. I've been on DBSTalk for longer and more often than any other forum though, and I do think it's gotten slightly less civil. It was once nearly devoid of the kind of behaviors that make me avoid other sites.

#91 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I bailed off the AVS Forum long ago.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#92 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

A few months ago they were voted worst company in America to work for. Those of us in the industry have heard the stories for a long time and work with some former Dish folks. Interesting to say the least.

I've never had trouble with Dish whatsoever. I've been a customer since 1999.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#93 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I've never had trouble with Dish whatsoever. I've been a customer since 1999.

To work for. It wasn't about customer satisfaction.
DTV = Digital Television

#94 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I worked for them for quite a while and had no issues :P

#95 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I still work for them. Worked for Direct twice (Pegasus then DirecTV O&O) too. No complaints either way. Better than getting shot at for a living.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#96 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,580 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

There have been a lot of complaints in this thread that have had nothing to do with working there OR customer satisfaction. Some people just expressing their hatred. :rolleyes:

#97 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

There have been a lot of complaints in this thread that have had nothing to do with working there OR customer satisfaction. Some people just expressing their hatred. :rolleyes:

In your opinion perhaps, but you have an inherent bias when it comes to this topic.
DTV = Digital Television

#98 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

In your opinion perhaps, but you have an inherent bias when it comes to this topic.

lol oh gosh.

#99 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hello pot meet kettle!

#100 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

With Stolen Technology from Tivo. Which the lawsuit proved correct.:lol:

If you really want to get into an ethical discussion, I suggest doing some reading at the Free Software Foundation, or the Electronic Freedom Foundation. Software patents are patently ridiculous. There are many people who believe that it is a moral requirement to violate as many software patents as possible, to bring the system crashing down on itself.

Dish tried to create their own DVR software that they thought would be different enough to pass muster. The courts disagreed, but that's why they have courts to begin with. There is no evidence that Dish took Tivo code and used it without permission.

I'm not going to argue that Dish is an ethical corporation. There is no such thing. Corporations are not people, no matter what the Supreme Court says. People do unethical things all the time, and some of them do them while running a business or working for a business. I have no reason to believe that the people who run or work at Dish are any more unethical than those who work at DirecTV or the local cable company.

But all this runs far afield from the discussion of whether Dish is a good place to work or not. I am grateful to live in a country where people get to choose who they work for, and negotiate their compensation accordingly. When Dish can no longer get employees to perform the necessary tasks of running the company, their particular business model will be found wanting by the court of public opinion and thus die off. Until that happens, the opinions of people who used to work there count for little.

spam firewall