Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Meanest company in America

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Interesting article in many respects....posted on the Dish forum as well.

http://mobile.busine...ampaign_id=yhoo

One of the things that jumped out at me in regards to programming disputes: "A blackout is the height of hostility between a carrier and a network. According to the American Television Alliance, a coalition of consumer groups and cable companies, no carrier is more willing to do battle than Dish, which is responsible for 22 of the 42 blackouts recorded since March 2010. DirecTV, with 5 million more subscribers, has been involved in six."
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Wow, not surprised!:lol:

#3 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Long read. Wouldn't work for Dish even if they paid me! DirecTV is another option. lol
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#4 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

And the thing is, it doesn't even result in lower prices. Charlie Ergen must be making out like a bandit. I used to be a Dish customer, and the retransmission disputes were annoying, but I would have been completely OK with it if they had resulted in lower fees, but Dish's pricing is just as comparable to DirecTV and Cable and they have increases just as often.

#5 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

It would be funny to see Ergen on Undercover Boss.

#6 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

plain and simple...Ergen is a tyrannical a-hole. He may have built Dish but many others have built companies with tough but humane treatment of employees.

#7 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Idiot! Plain and simple!!

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Things like that are why more unions are needed.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

plain and simple...Ergen is a tyrannical a-hole. He may have built Dish but many others have built companies with tough but humane treatment of employees.

Just reading this article is practically giving me a panic attack.
It truly is astounding how much better DirecTV treats its employees.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Just reading this article is practically giving me a panic attack.
It truly is astounding how much better DirecTV treats its employees.

I actually ran into a guy like this in my career. He wasn't the CEO but a high level VP. My judgement is he actually cost the company productivity. Sure people put in the hours but they didn't go the "extra mile" for this clown. People wanted him to fail which he eventually did.

#11 OFFLINE   jeffcarp

jeffcarp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Does anyone read anything objectively anymore? I mean, really, look at this article's opening paragraph. He cites Glassdoor and admits that it is "hardly the most scientific of methods." But does that stop him from writing an article based on the information there.

Then if you take a look at the author's Twitter feed tonight it is full of celebrations about his "first cover." You think these people don't write this stuff for it's shock value - to get noticed? Please.

I have DirecTV. I've never worked for Dish and not an ounce of my well being depends on Dish. I just get tired of these guys who have the "power of the pen" who think they are being investigative and provocative but in reality are just being sloppy, lazy, poor excuses for journalists.

#12 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Didn't Dish have to pay Tivo a ton of money??
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

It would be funny to see Ergen on Undercover Boss.

A very reliable source has told me that Ergen was, in fact approached to do just this, but his reaction when asked was nothing short of a "Get the f--- out of my face" response.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#14 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 835 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

An absolutely GREAT read, should be required for anyone wanting to understand what's behind the competition.

#15 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

I find the article to be sad reading. Charlie's obviously a very smart, driven man who lost all sense of decency and respect somewhere along the line.

#16 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Things like that are why more unions are needed.

If they had a union, their service would be terrible and our premiums would be even higher. Haven't you ever heard of garbage pileups, people getting stuck at airports, or businesses not receving their shipments due to strikes? A smart company or corporation usually stays ahead of the union.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#17 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

If they had a union, their service would be terrible and our premiums would be even higher. Haven't you ever heard of garbage pileups, people getting stuck at airports, or businesses not receving their shipments due to strikes? A smart company or corporation usually stays ahead of the union.

Totally agree. unions are a joke, its just a bunch of slow over paid guys who drain our economy of growth and money.

You all can get pissed off, but I don't care!

#18 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I subscribed to DISH for 9 years and never liked Ergen. When I would watch his call in shows he came off as not a very genuine person who there for show. His constant disputes with networks was a constant annoyance. When they finally settled the consumer never saw any benefit. Just the inconvienance of not having that network for a few days or weeks in some cases. I'm glad I left them for a lot of reasons. This article just reaffirmed to me that DISH is just a terrible organization and I hope they never merge with DirecTV.

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

People bad mouthing Charlie Ergen and DISH. I'm shocked! :eek2:......:sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

In fairness, to me the article seems like the author came in with an agenda, and found what he was looking for. Not to say any of it is untrue, but it does seem biased.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...