Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Meanest company in America

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

You mean like when XM (the bigger and growing) company took over Sirius?

You mean Both dying Satellite Radio companys. And still dying!:lol:

Yea ok bad example!
XM was far from Growing anything except Debt.

The merger's completion is a relief to shareholders who have expressed frustration with the prolonged approval process. XM and Sirius have struggled financially and have said that joining forces is the only way that they can survive. Music-enabled cellphones, iPods, music Web sites and traditional radio stations all provide increased competition.

Right from here.
http://www.washingto...ST2008072503697

Directv is doing more then fine on their own 2 feet.

Edited by damondlt, 05 January 2013 - 08:47 AM.

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

The author had an agenda and then a Directv employee came here to post it, shocker.

All writers have an "agenda" or have bias. Neutrality is a myth. This is why we must be discerning and learn to tell the difference between fact and fiction.

I suspect that Dish is not as bad as the article says it is but that is not saying much. A lot of corporations treat their employees like chattel. Rare is the company that respects its employees and treats them as humans first and employees second. In businesses where employees can easily and cheaply be replaced there is little incentive to treat people well.

#43 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

What makes you think Charlie would take control?

Lets see 14 million and Dropping , 30 million and growing. I think we know who would be running the company.;)

Heres your cut charlie ,now scat!

Ask XM subscribers that same question. "We" had a LOT more subs, but Sirius took control and the end product is nowhere near as good as the XM days.

#44 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I agree. I liked XM a lot more than I like Sirius XM.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#45 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Not defending Dish but Dish Network is no different than any other company that are trying to reach specific goals and expect a lot from their employees, because there is competition out there and everybody from the trainee to the executives trying to thrive even if they try to push people around to get the message, but regardless they shouldn't treat some of their employees like that shameful

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Not defending Dish but Dish Network is no different than any other company that are trying to reach specific goals and expect a lot from their employees, because there is competition out there and everybody from the trainee to the executives trying to thrive even if they try to push people around to get the message, but regardless they shouldn't treat some of their employees like that shameful

They've accomplished far less that DirecTV while racking up far more collateral damage.
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

They've accomplished far less that DirecTV while racking up far more collateral damage.

At least I prefer their software engineering department than Directv's especially with the Genie HR34/C31 issues but then again NO ONE's perfect

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#48 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

At least I prefer their software engineering department than Directv's especially with the Genie HR34/C31 issues but then again NO ONE's perfect

I prefer DirecTV's folks since they come by their equipment and features the ethical way, rather than by theft or other corrupt means.
DTV = Digital Television

#49 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I do think they still do a nightly reboot. That might help with some issues.

#50 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

"Meanest?" Is that like getting a boo-boo?

C'mon, life is tough. I work in and out of the C-level, and have for most of my 20+ years of being in the workforce, and one of the things that one learns early on is that at that level, people like Charlie are pretty much the norm, rather than the exception. That is, they almost all tend to be somewhat arrogant, definitely quirky, and absolutely certain that their way is not only the right way, but the only way. They also tend to be very, very successful.

The biggest challenge with these types of personalities is to convince them that they can achieve an even greater level of success by simply slightly moderating their methods and, heaven forbid, their "vision." And trust me, it is, indeed, one huge challenge.

With regard to the apparently "disgruntled" employees, all of whom seem to be doing quite well for themselves post-Dish, one of the few great things left about this country is that one is pretty much free to find oneself another job anytime one wishes to do so. However, my guess is that once they finish processing it all, they probably owe Charlie a major thank-you card.

The bottom line is that if I were starting a business, I'd want Charlie on my team, not on the other side.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#51 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

zkc - A company I used to work for had a divisional CIO like you describe. He was the only one that could make decisions, and people feared him.

He finally irked the wrong people and was laid off, and the productivity and profitability increased.

Folks like this can be GREAT for getting a company off the ground, but are often become tyrants in a middle-aged company.

#52 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Scariest line of the article: "He’s also made it clear that he’d like to try again to merge with DirecTV "

Obviously, I'd drop D* the second Charlie took control.

Remember the early days of Home Shopping Network? A goofball would be behind a desk with a "Tootie" horn? It was like an old SCTV skit, and that's what I think of Charlie and his mean companies.

As would I. I do not want Charlie anywhere near DirecTV. Sirius ruined XM and Dish will ruin DirecTV.

#53 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

What makes you think Charlie would take control?

Lets see 14 million and Dropping , 30 million and growing. I think we know who would be running the company.;)

Heres your cut charlie ,now scat!

Not necessarily true. XM had more subs than Sirius, yet Sirius is the one that took control

#54 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

zkc - A company I used to work for had a divisional CIO like you describe. He was the only one that could make decisions, and people feared him.

I worked for one like that. His production was high and his superiors liked him because production was up. Some made jokes that he had made a deal with the devil and that's why he got away with things he did. He would get information on employees by asking others what people were saying, looking for negative things that were said about him.

He was basically a people pusher and if he didn't like someone, he would take that person down using unethical means. For example, if an employee, supervisor, or manager under him bucked him, he would not try to correct the situation. Instead, he would leave him/her out of meetings and other activities making the person feel totally left out and broken. He actually would take a good experienced inteligent individual, and break them spiritually and professionly making that person feel worthless and usless and setting them up to fail.

I saw him do that more than once. Unlike those that had never worked anywhere else, it was those that came from other places that would, in most cases, feel his wrath.

The warning was, "Don't piss XXXXX off."

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#55 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Totally agree. unions are a joke, its just a bunch of slow over paid guys who drain our economy of growth and money.

You all can get pissed off, but I don't care!

That's exactly what happened to Union Carbide. We'd hire new mechanics and they'd be a ball of fire. Couldn't give them enough work. Six months in, they were as bad as the regular employees. Kinda like an extremely contagious disease. Ever wonder why new cars cost so much? Unions.

UCC is gone now, bought out by Dow Chemical. Swept all the dead wood right out the gate. I was a union member and a shop steward before getting promoted. Sad story, I wouldn't be sitting here today if it wasn't for UCC. But the culture changed so drastically and it wasn't the same as when I was hired. I couldn't wait to get out of that place.

Rich

#56 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

D* doesn't need to buy E*. E* will slowly wither away on it's own.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Some managers and companies don't consider employee morale important. There do need to be rules etc, but if morale is bad, the company suffers. Of course not all companies are all that negatively affected by a high churn rate.

#58 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm sorry to say this but does anybody has ever work for software/code engineering before it seems that Directv does not have anyone qualified(that's what it seems to look like) because the HR34 has so much potential as a home media receiver as is the C31 do to software related issues, and knowing how they are it would take awhile before they release another update, and knowing the regular upfront cost for existing customers it should work as is suppose to.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#59 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Not necessarily true. XM had more subs than Sirius, yet Sirius is the one that took control

And they wre both Dying. Again your compairing Dish to Directv, Dish is staying afloat, Directv is still growing. Directv has way more connections, and way less lawsuits.

If you think the merger will be ran by charlie, your dreaming.:hurah:

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#60 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

And they wre both Dying. Again your compairing Dish to Directv, Dish is staying afloat, Directv is still growing. Directv has way more connections, and way less lawsuits.

If you think the merger will be ran by charlie, your dreaming.:hurah:

staying afloat
maybe in your wet dreams
don't make me laugh

Protected By... spam firewall...And...