Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Preview of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz Coming to DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

:zzz:

You're not making sense. The free previews serve a specific purpose that you do not seem to understand.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I've already gone through the lineup and selected the shows I want to record and see. Showtime has nothing for me.

they plan to show that goon movie that I head was good. IF you like hockey you should try to see it.

also dexter is good on showtime.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#23 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

You're not making sense. You even responded to yourself earlier.

Yea sometimes you have to go back and BOLD key words when people comment, but don't know how to read.

But not falling for his nonsence this time like he wants.

I still stand Firm Directv should block recording abilitys on Premium channel free previews to non subscribers. They want to record, Then they pay to subscribe like the rest of us.

#24 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

You're not making sense. The free previews serve a specific purpose that you do not seem to understand.

People don't subscribe when they can go on a recording spree for free a couple times a year. Thats the point!

#25 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

People don't subscribe when they can go on a recording spree for free a couple times a year. Thats the point!

That would also prohibit premium subscribers from recording. There is no way (nor is there a reason) to block only non-premium subs from recording.
DTV = Digital Television

#26 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

they plan to show that goon movie that I head was good. IF you like hockey you should try to see it.

also dexter is good on showtime.

Hockey, what hockey? I don't like any of the series on Showtime. I am, however, recording about 16hrs of Strike Back on Cinemax.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#27 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I think the biggest following on some of these channels are for specific shows (like Game of Thrones on HBO or Homeland & Dexter on Showtime). These previews at most will allow you to watch one episode of these series. And what I've noticed is that often the free previews for these channels coincide with the season premier with one of their top-rated shows.

#28 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

That would also prohibit premium subscribers from recording. There is no way (nor is there a reason) to block only non-premium subs from recording.

Don't be so sure about that. ;)

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Don't be so sure about that. ;)

Prove otherwise. I'm all ears.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

There is nothing to prove. Many sporting event can't be DVR's, same with PPV, Channels people don't subscribe to can't be recorded either, So whats the difference? I'm sure they can flag non subscribers accounts to prevent recording.

Directv can force you watch their commercial without the ablity to FF through them.
In one sentence you praise Directv to the High gods, While all in the same sence make them sound like they aren't smart enough to master such things just to argue .

But thats Fine.:)

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

When will the shows show avaiable for sceduling recording ?

You can schedule it now if you want, just set your guide to all channels using the yellow button, then scroll through the guide for those specific channels on 1/11 to 1/13 starting at 5:00 a.m and schedule away to your liking even though you see a message but choose schedule it anyway on the message and you're set.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hey don't worry , All the rest of us paying subscribers will foot the bill so you and Justin23 can record free Preview content.:grin:

Your Welcome!

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

There is nothing to prove. Many sporting event can't be DVR's, same with PPV, Channels people don't subscribe to can't be recorded either, So whats the difference? I'm sure they can flag non subscribers accounts to prevent recording.

Directv can force you watch their commercial without the ablity to FF through them.
In one sentence you praise Directv to the High gods, While all in the same sence make them sound like they aren't smart enough to master such things just to argue .

But thats Fine.:)

What sporting events? Not once have I had that problem. Not even with UFC PPV.
DTV = Digital Television

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hey don't worry , All the rest of us paying subscribers will foot the bill so you and Justin23 can record free Preview content.:grin:

Your Welcome!

You aren't footing the bill for anything.
DTV = Digital Television

#35 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

What sporting events? Not once have I had that problem. Not even with UFC PPV.

Yea I forgot you have the only Directv receiver on the planet that records PPV longer then 24 hours.:hurah:

#36 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

try shameless, one of the best tvshow on!

Also Hou$e of Lie$
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yea I forgot you have the only Directv receiver on the planet that records PPV longer then 24 hours.:hurah:

I don't use PPV for movies, only UFC fights. You said they can prevent you from recording sporting events AND PPV. Forget PPV for a moment...what sporting events are you referring to that they can prevent you from recording?
DTV = Digital Television

#38 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I don't use PPV for movies, only UFC fights. You said they can prevent you from recording sporting events AND PPV. Forget PPV for a moment...what sporting events are you referring to that they can prevent you from recording?

Yankees games in my DMA, as well as Mets games sometimes, Like when they want you to watch them on your local networks, I don't mean blackouts either.

The channel Shows up in the Guide like and unsubscribed channel would. You can Tune, but not record. Then when the game is over, your guide selection is highlighted back up.
I've encountered this a few times last baseball season. Its not an issue because I just switch it to my local and record it.

Which was my point, you say they can't do it, but they can.

#39 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Do you subscribe? If you do then you should cancel since you can just record during the free previews. :lol:

#40 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Do you subscribe? If you do then you should cancel since you can just record during the free previews. :lol:

My guess if we all did that there would be no free preview anymore.:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...