Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Preview of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz Coming to DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yankees games in my DMA, as well as Mets games sometimes, Like when they want you to watch them on your local networks, I don't mean blackouts either.

The channel Shows up in the Guide like and unsubscribed channel would. You can Tune, but not record. Then when the game is over, your guide selection is highlighted back up.
I've encountered this a few times last baseball season. Its not an issue because I just switch it to my local and record it.

Which was my point, you say they can't do it, but they can.

Have you tried a manual record? If you can see it on the screen, you should be able to manually record it.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hey don't worry , All the rest of us paying subscribers will foot the bill so you and Justin23 can record free Preview content.:grin:

Your Welcome!

Then by your example, no one should get a free (credited) service at all, we should not get any free samples... gosh, I guess that you'd want to snatch the free cookies supermarket bakeries give kids right out of their mouths! It's all part of marketing. I'd love to see how you'd market a product or service. "Hey, I want you to spend lots of money on this, but I'm not going to allow you to have any idea at all what it's like. You'll just have to trust me." :rolling:

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#43 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Have you tried a manual record? If you can see it on the screen, you should be able to manually record it.

Haven't tried it , but again its on MY53 at the same time on occation. So i just record it there.

It seems to only happen when they Mirror the Yankees games that are on YES to MY53 Network. It doesn't happen every game, but I can recall 3 last year.

All the message says something like, "you can not record this event"

#44 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Then by your example, no one should get a free (credited) service at all, we should not get any free samples... gosh, I guess that you'd want to snatch the free cookies supermarket bakeries give kids right out of their mouths! It's all part of marketing. I'd love to see how you'd market a product or service. "Hey, I want you to spend lots of money on this, but I'm not going to allow you to have any idea at all what it's like. You'll just have to trust me." :rolling:

OK I see your point, but say everyone and their mother stood in front of your free cookie rack and did nothing but eat your cookies over and over for 2 days straight.

Thats why they give a sample, Not the Whole Bag!;)

#45 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yankees games in my DMA, as well as Mets games sometimes, Like when they want you to watch them on your local networks, I don't mean blackouts either.

The channel Shows up in the Guide like and unsubscribed channel would. You can Tune, but not record. Then when the game is over, your guide selection is highlighted back up.
I've encountered this a few times last baseball season. Its not an issue because I just switch it to my local and record it.

Which was my point, you say they can't do it, but they can.

Sounds like user error on your part. I've never had trouble recording Yankee games on YES or Mets games on MSG. They don't let you tune to your own RSN's while also preventing you from recording them. Got anything else?
DTV = Digital Television

#46 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Sounds like user error on your part. I've never had trouble recording Yankee games on YES or Mets games on MSG. They don't let you tune to your own RSN's while also preventing you from recording them. Got anything else?

Ok well when you live in my DMA then come talk to me, My guess you don't even get YES. It no error, I can recall a thread about this on Satellite Guys.

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

My guess if we all did that there would be no free preview anymore.:)

You seem to be under the impression that the providers institute free premium previews. They don't, the content providers do.
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

And besides what your point? So you are saying Directv is not smart enough to do this with unsubscribed channels?

I don't get what you are trying to prove?

You are trying to change the subject, to another subject that has nothing to do with anything?

#49 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

You seem to be under the impression that the providers institute free premium previews. .

Nope, But Directv, Dish and all the rest of the cable companys have control of their DVRs.

#50 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Ok well when you live in my DMA then come talk to me, My guess you don't even get YES. It no error, I can recall a thread about this on Satellite Guys.

Think again.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-1771901095.jpg
  • image-1250305982.jpg

DTV = Digital Television

#51 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Think again.

Yea exactly, Nice try Too Bad I live in PA with Scranton Wilke barre locals. It just so happends NY is our Sports DMA. So again you have no clue! :hurah:

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

And be sides what your point? So you are saying Directv is not smart enough to do this with unsubscribed channels?

I don't get what you are trying to prove?

You are trying to change the subject, to another subject that has nothing to do with anything?

You cannot watch unsubscribed channels. Those premiums are opened up to all packages during previews. I don't see any reason to deny people the ability to record content during previews. This has absolutely no affect on you. Not to mention that HBO might not be so keen on the idea of limiting access to anyone during the preview when they are trying to win their business by offering the preview through providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#53 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Nope, But Directv, Dish and all the rest of the cable companys have control of their DVRs.

They also have agreements on how they deliver that content to viewers and limiting the ability to record content with a DVR is something to content owner might not agree with.
DTV = Digital Television

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yea exactly, Nice try Too Bad I live in PA with Scranton Wilke barre locals. It just so happends NY is our Sports DMA. So again you have no clue! :hurah:

It makes absolutely no difference. None. If you can tune to a channel, you can record it.
DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

You cannot watch unsubscribed channels. Those premiums are opened up to all packages during previews. I don't see any reason to deny people the ability to record content during previews. This has absolutely no affect on you. Not to mention that HBO might not be so keen on the idea of limiting access to anyone during the preview when they are trying to win their business by offering the preview through providers.

Again if you are going on a 72 hour free recording binge, Why would you ever subscribe?

#56 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

It makes absolutely no difference. None. If you can tune to a channel, you can record it.

Not if its Not Highlighted.

Again don't believe me, no sweat off my sack! Really have no reason to lie about it since it doesn't effect my viewing at all. I'm telling Directv can disable recording abilities, you claim thay can't Well thats on you then.

Next time the Yankees game is on Yes, and they Mirror it to MY53 out of Willamsport PA, I'll let you know and you can see for yourself.:eek2:

#57 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Again if you are going on a 72 hour free recording binge, Why would you ever subscribe?

Given the time and HDD space limitations, you won't get that much when compared to just how much they offer. That's an issue for HBO though, not you. It's their free preview. If it didn't work, the wouldn't keep doing it. That non-subscribers can record during the preview has nothing to do with you as a subscriber. The preview periods are short and infrequent. I think you'll be just fine:
DTV = Digital Television

#58 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

They also have agreements on how they deliver that content to viewers and limiting the ability to record content with a DVR is something to content owner might not agree with.

See I don't agree, Tell me or show me anything that proves Directv is forced to allow recording on premium channels.

If that was the case then all the providers would be forced to hand over DVRs in order to sell you a premium channel.

That is not at all the case.

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Not if its Not Highlighted.

Again don't believe me, no sweat off my sack! Really have no reason to lie about it since it doesn't effect my viewing at all. I'm telling Directv can disable recording abilities, you claim thay can't Well thats on you then.

Next time the Yankees game is on Yes, and they Mirror it to MY53 out of Willamsport PA, I'll let you know and you can see for yourself.:eek2:

If you can tune to a channel and view its content, you can record it. I have no idea what you are doing wrong.
DTV = Digital Television

#60 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

If you can tune to a channel and view its content, you can record it. I have no idea what you are doing wrong.

Again what ever !:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...