Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another Commercial Free Channels bites the dust

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Sony Movie Channel has adopted MGMHDs annoying habit of interrupting movies with previews and commercials. Looks like TCM and HDnet Movies are the only ones' left.

There was a time, no long ago where one had the choice of TCM, AMC, IFC, MGM, Sony, FOX Movie Channel and HDnet Movies; all commercial free. Not no more.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Sony Movie Channel has adopted MGMHDs annoying habit of interrupting movies with previews and commercials. Looks like TCM and HDnet Movies are the only ones' left.

There was a time, no long ago where one had the choice of TCM, AMC, IFC, MGM, Sony, FOX Movie Channel and HDnet Movies; all commercial free. Not no more.

There goes the last reason to pay $5/month for that "extra pack".

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

There goes the last reason to pay $5/month for that "extra pack".

Hardly anyone who frequents this place pays $5/month for it. Add for 3 free months, cancel...wait 5 seconds...add for 3 more free months, cancel again - so on and so forth. :)

HDNet Movies is still the only reason I have that package.
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,648 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

TCM doesn't interrupt the movie like MGM does.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   Sanderson K.

Sanderson K.

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

In the case of AMC at least they countered with some of the best scripted shows on TV imo, though the reality garbage makes it on the air is a travesty..

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Has this happened? I haven't seen a commercial break or a non- channel item between commercials through three movies since you posted.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I signed up for DirecTV in September and had the HD pack free for 3 months. Cancelled a day prior to the 3 month mark. Got a call 3 days later from DirecTV saying Happy Holidays! We're giving it to youfor 3 months for free. Sweet I thought. I still put a reminder in my calendar at the almost 3 month mark. It isn't worth $5 a month for me.

#8 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Has this happened? I haven't seen a commercial break or a non- channel item between commercials through three movies since you posted.

The movie was running at the time of my post. Sony Movie Channel was interrupting every 15 minutes to show previews and an ad for amazon.com

Maybe it was an experiment, a one time thing or they are going to do this on a regular basis. AMC, IFC and MGMHD did the same "experiments" before they went full commercial. The time of teh movie was between 10:00 PM and Midnight EST on 3 January, 2013.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

The movie was running at the time of my post. Sony Movie Channel was interrupting every 15 minutes to show previews and an ad for amazon.com

Maybe it was an experiment, a one time thing or they are going to do this on a regular basis. AMC, IFC and MGMHD did the same "experiments" before they went full commercial. The time of teh movie was between 10:00 PM and Midnight EST on 3 January, 2013.

Maybe they are doing it parttime like FMC.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hardly anyone who frequents this place pays $5/month for it. Add for 3 free months, cancel...wait 5 seconds...add for 3 more free months, cancel again - so on and so forth. :)

HDNet Movies is still the only reason I have that package.

You'd be surprised how many do...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I watched Underworld last night and I'm watching Ghosts of Mars that I recorded and I haven't seen one commercial during either.

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

...that's also back when AMC actually showed Classic Movies that were American.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

...that's also back when AMC actually showed Classic Movies that were American.

I loved AMC back then. Not only did they do a great job with the movie selection, but they also had Remember WENN.

#14 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Maybe they are doing it parttime like FMC.

FMC has commercial free movies? I don't pay for the HD pack either. Eventually, hopefully I plan to go over the air depending on my line of site to the transmitters. Right now they look pretty iffy due to a two story house and trees in the way.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#15 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

You'd be surprised how many do...

I've got an expired package, making this change impossible online unless I want to lose it. And frankly, with all the commercials now in the programming, it's not worth the phone call.

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

FMC has commercial free movies? I don't pay for the HD pack either. Eventually, hopefully I plan to go over the air depending on my line of site to the transmitters. Right now they look pretty iffy due to a two story house and trees in the way.

As far as I know, FMC only does commercials part of the day. During their FX Movies session.

#17 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

it's not worth the phone call.

Is is worth the phone call. You don't even talk to a human. Just say "cancel HD Extra Pack" at the prompt. It will be canceled and you can go online to add it back.

#18 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

As far as I know, FMC only does commercials part of the day. During their FX Movies session.

Yes, from 3:00 AM to 3:00 Pm EST. Much of the older movies that FMC used to show are now on TCM. From 3:00 PM to 3:00 AM FMC is FXM, which shows movies with "Limited commercial interruptions" (actually they are about 3 minute breaks about every 15 minutes.

I have watched Sony, since my report, and I have not seen commercials either, even during the time frame reported; no commercials. I am starting to think it was an experiment to gauge reaction. But, as I said earlier, AMC, IFC, FMC, MGMHD started little by little also.

#19 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hardly anyone who frequents this place pays $5/month for it.

You know this how?

You must have a pretty low opinion of your co-members. Some of us don't mind paying for what we get. Five dollars! My goodness.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#20 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

You know this how?

You must have a pretty low opinion of your co-members. Some of us don't mind paying for what we get. Five dollars! My goodness.

It was an exaggeration. You're welcome to pay as much as you want.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...