Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another Commercial Free Channels bites the dust

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

It was an exaggeration. You're welcome to pay as much as you want.

Most folks pay for it.

The ones who play the 3-month cancel/re-up game are the small number of exceptions actually.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Most folks pay for it.

The ones who play the 3-month cancel/re-up game are the small number of exceptions actually.

Based on...
DTV = Digital Television

#23 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

There goes the last reason to pay $5/month for that "extra pack".

To each their own...

While I enjoy HDNet Movies, Palladia, MGM HD, and Sony Movie Channel, I probably would have dropped it sometime ago if it wasn't for Hallmark Movie Channel.

As long as it stays in the HDEP, DirecTV will be getting the $5/month from this household. :(

#24 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hardly anyone who frequents this place pays $5/month for it. Add for 3 free months, cancel...wait 5 seconds...add for 3 more free months, cancel again - so on and so forth. :)

HDNet Movies is still the only reason I have that package.

I'm shocked...shocked I tell's ya', that the ultimate DirecTV advocate would suggest taking $5/month out of the mouths of Mike White's starving children. :lol:

Having said that, I pay for it. I actually watch Smitshonian pretty regularly and I watch Crime & Investigation and Palladia on occasion. The HD Extra movie channels rarely have something I want to see but every now and then there is one I watch.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#25 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'm shocked...shocked I tell's ya', that the ultimate DirecTV advocate would suggest taking $5/month out of the mouths of Mike White's starving children. :lol:

Having said that, I pay for it. I actually watch Smitshonian pretty regularly and I watch Crime & Investigation and Palladia on occasion. The HD Extra movie channels rarely have something I want to see but every now and then there is one I watch.

I usually do the free 3 month thing and then forget about it for 6 months. Then I'll get around to checking my bill and seeing what I want to change. Then I'll do the 3 free months again. It's an inconsistent cycle.
DTV = Digital Television

#26 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Sony Movie Channel has adopted MGMHDs annoying habit of interrupting movies with previews and commercials. Looks like TCM and HDnet Movies are the only ones' left.

There was a time, no long ago where one had the choice of TCM, AMC, IFC, MGM, Sony, FOX Movie Channel and HDnet Movies; all commercial free. Not no more.

Yup that's why I removed the Blockbuster channels.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#27 OFFLINE   jburns

jburns

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Based on...

I'd say based on the fact that DTV has not moved to stop the instant drop/add.

#28 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Is is worth the phone call. You don't even talk to a human. Just say "cancel HD Extra Pack" at the prompt. It will be canceled and you can go online to add it back.

No, the issue comes when I go online to ADD it. The online system wants to change my basic package with any change I make, including this add. But given Sony's commercials, there's no interest here any longer anyway. Of course, YMMV.

#29 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Sony Movie Channel has adopted MGMHDs annoying habit of interrupting movies with previews and commercials. Looks like TCM and HDnet Movies are the only ones' left.

There was a time, no long ago where one had the choice of TCM, AMC, IFC, MGM, Sony, FOX Movie Channel and HDnet Movies; all commercial free. Not no more.

I was getting to like that Channel.. :(

I guess we should be thankful though they have not gone the way of AMC and air 5 minutes of movie and 10 minutes of commercials every 15 minutes.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#30 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

I noticed this on there official FB page posted back in Sept. 2012, "We avoid interrupting our movies whenever possible. Unfortunately we are legally required to break certain movies due to the details of our licensing agreements."

http://www.facebook....469951009693586

There has also been a few people complain on there about the logo bug in the bottom right.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#31 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

Is is worth the phone call. You don't even talk to a human. Just say "cancel HD Extra Pack" at the prompt. It will be canceled and you can go online to add it back.

What number do you call that you can do this without speaking to the rep live?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...