Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Encore's lack of HD, are they being cheap or lack HD sourcers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I notice quite a few movies on Encore HD are in 4:3 SD
the HBO's/Max's, Showtimes, TMCs and other movie channels don't have this problem
are they being cheap or do the not have certain movie to show in HD:nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Which movies?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I haven't seen any non-HD on Encore in a while... or that I can remember. Sometimes movies really are 4:3 in proper aspect... so maybe that is what the thread starter is talking about?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think you have to view this through the prism of Encore not being a stand-alone pay service, but a supplement to Starz, who has about the same number of HD channels as other pay services (more than some), and who for a long time had more than anyone else on DTV.

Also, Encore is not positioned as blockbusters plus movies from the past few years as much as it is positioned as movies from the 70's forward minus anything new. In 2010-2013 it makes sense that we are in a position where new and recent movies get telecined to HD while older movies, with their ability to generate revenue comparatively diminished, have to wait in line. And that probably somewhat explains why the other channels in the Encore package are not HD at all.

So I do not find that Encore has fewer HD movies than HBO at all surprising.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall