Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Epix Free Preview Channels Still Not Available

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Is anyone else having a problem seeing the Epix free preview channels (which are supposed to be available from 1/4 through 1/16)? We normally get Epix 292 (as part of our main package) and I can of course see that SD channel as usual, however, I am not seeing channels 380, 381 or 382 as of this morning in the channel guide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I just completed a chat session with Dish customer service and they confirmed that there was a problem that they knew about in terms of the Epix free preview channels not showing up. The CSR said it was just fixed and I should be seeing the channels shortly in my channel guide (although, after 10 minutes, they are still not showing up).

#3 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

What a cluster you-know-what!

I have now had 5 chat sessions this morning with both first & second level CSR's & TSR's at Dish. After initially making commitments that did not come to fruition, Dish now reports that they have had a slew of "technical problems" with the Epix free preview. For the second time, I was told that this is a "known problem" and they are continuing to work on it.

My main beef is that the 4th CSR was a total idiot and ran me through all of the typical ... "Is it plugged in?", "Is there snow on your dish?", "Your paid service doesn't include Epix 380-382 channels", "Yes, there is an Epix free preview and it runs from 1/4 through 1/16" (the latter stated several times). He reset my unit, had it reprogrammed for my paid channels, and had me do a hard restart. At one point he got 380 & 381 to show up, but no 382, and then after something else was done, I lost 380 & 381 and was back at square one. Then he bailed and transferred me to the last TSR who basically said I was out of luck and I would just have to wait until Dish solved the problem and the channels finally popped-up.

Despite the time I have invested in this, I am not as concerned with having a delay on the fairly lengthy Epix free preview, but I sure hope that Dish gets their act together for the upcoming premium channel free previews for HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime.

On-edit ... 12+ hours and counting (with no Epix channels yet) :rolleyes:

Edited by DEC, 04 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.
Added additional update

#4 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Is Epix up yet for anyone?

I put it in my favorites list and it's still locked.

#5 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Nope ... not here. 13 hours and counting. :nono2:

#6 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I was piggy-backing my comments about this on the "Free HBO/Cinemax coming up on 1/11" thread, but I decided to create a new thread.

As others have stated and is reflected on the Free Preview channel, there was supposed to be a free preview of Epix channels 292, 380, 381 and 382 from 1/4 through 1/16/13.

We normally get Epix 292 (as part of our main package) and I can of course see that SD channel as usual. However, as of 12:30 AM, 6:30 AM, and again at 8:30 AM MST, I was not seeing channels 380, 381 or 382 in my channel guide. As of 1:00 PM local time, the Epix channels are still not showing up.

I had an initial chat session with a Dish CSR which got kicked up to a second level TSR just before 9:00 AM and he confirmed that there was a problem that they knew about in terms of the Epix free preview channels not showing up. The TSR said it was just fixed and I should be seeing the channels in a few minutes in my channel guide, although they continued to still not show up.

When the channels continued to not show up, I initiated another chat session after 10:00 AM which went from an initial CSR (who was a total idiot), to then two different second level TSR's. After going through a lot of counterproductive back and forth, the final TSR admitted that Dish was having a slew of "technical problems" with the Epix free preview and basically indicated that I was out of luck and I would just have to wait until Dish solved the problem and the channels finally popped-up.

So, now at 13+ hours and counting, there still are no Epix free preview channels showing up.

As I mentioned elsewhere, despite the time I have invested in trying to get to the bottom of this, I am not as concerned with having a delay on the fairly lengthy Epix free preview, but I sure hope that Dish gets their act together for the upcoming premium channel free previews for HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime.

#7 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

OK ... almost 15 hours later, the free preview Epix HD 380, 381 & 382 channels just showed up in my channel guide.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,570 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

DISH did not turn on the preview (for anyone) until 3:47pm ET. I would expect the changes to be made during the 4am ET hour. It is still the 4th, so the preview started the right day.

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I can't find what time they said it would start ;)

#10 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

It is still the 4th, so the preview started the right day.

Yeah, I guess I've got to give them that. :lol:

#11 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Actually, free previews are not supposed to START till 5 PM, but end between 2-4 AM...
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#12 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Guess what? It's not supposed to start till 5 PM EST.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#13 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Actually, free previews are not supposed to START till 5 PM, but end between 2-4 AM...

Well, I don't know what's "supposed" to happen, but I have done plenty of Dish recordings well prior to 5 PM of the START day, and I have had a number of recordings that went just a bit beyond midnight of the finish day cut-off when the channel access was pulled well before 2-4 AM.

Beyond that, why after chatting with 5 separate CSR's & TSR's this morning, did none of them mention that I was jumping the gun? On the contrary, the ones that knew there was a problem on Dish's end stated just that and were apologetic for the delay.

#14 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Guess what? It's not supposed to start till 5 PM EST.

Yeah, that's the same baloney you're spewing over on the other thread.

I have done plenty of Dish recordings well prior to 5 PM of the start day of free previews, and I have had a number of recordings that went just a bit beyond midnight of the finish day cut-off when the channel access was pulled well before 2-4 AM.

Beyond that, why after chatting with 5 separate CSR's & TSR's this morning, did none of them mention that I was jumping the gun? On the contrary, the ones that knew there was a problem on Dish's end stated just that and were apologetic for the delay.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,570 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

CSRs do not always know everything. While DISH has turned on channels before the appointed time and let them run beyond the 4am hour the important part is that the channels are in preview for the hours that DISH planned to offer them.

#16 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

OK, fine. So all 5 of Dish's CSR's & TSR's didn't know what they were talking about earlier today. And other than the start & finish dates, Dish always has an established window defined in exact hours that they plan to offer the free previews, and when we're outside that magic window (whenever that is), nothing is supposed to happen unless it does happen, and then it's apparently by accident or whatever.

Bottom-line, I'm glad the Epix free preview finally got underway. I already have two recordings completed, one in progress, and more than 20 more already programmed through the 8th. More will no doubt follow as I work through the rest of the free preview period.

If you guys want to call into question my efforts, intent, or knowledge ... fine. I frankly wasn't doing that for anyone else but me, but I thought I would report what I was hearing from Dish representatives on the matter for the potential benefit of others when it was unknown as to when the free preview was actually going to start since Dish reps (and this was mostly from the 3 technical support reps and not the 1st level CSR's), had all said that Dish was experiencing technical problems with getting the Epix free preview started.

I am going to leave the rest of the discussion to you guys, as I've got more productive things to do with my time at this point.

#17 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

That's what they are told to say. Be happy it started early for you.
DISH 625 dvr

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Beyond that, why after chatting with 5 separate CSR's & TSR's this morning, did none of them mention that I was jumping the gun?

Why would you be so impatient and tie up resources like that over something free? How many people had trouble getting service for real problems while you were doing that? :confused:
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,570 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

Epic Epix "late start" complaint threads merged.

#20 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Why would you be so impatient and tie up resources like that over something free? How many people had trouble getting service for real problems while you were doing that? :confused:

my thought exactly! But for some reason I guess I am not surprised by some people...

spam firewall