Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Epix Free Preview Channels Still Not Available

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Talk about high maintenance customers! If I see free previews in the guide, I watch them. If not, I don't. All the movies get repeated anyway. What's the hurry?

Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Look buddy (and the rest of you guys as well), some us pay more attention to such things, and what's your specific problem with that? I am a paying Dish customer and it's a free country for the most part the last time I checked. Just because someone else approaches whatever differently than you, what's the problem with that? Everyone supposed to be in total lockstep with each other ... is that the deal?

Not that it's any of your individual or collective damn business, but the recession wasn't good to us and as a newly retired couple, we have had to economize and cut back in a number of areas across the board so we can stay within our tight budget. One, was that we got rid of all of our premium movie packages that we once had. We also stopped buying Blu-Rays & DVD's. And yes, I know it's shocking, but we actually record a lot of HD movies rather than just watching them ... and I am sure you'll likely have a problem with that as well.

Now, for the most part, the only real chance we have for recording advertisement free premium HD movies these days, is when a free premium preview comes up. I keep fairly careful track of what's coming up by way of the free preview channel, Dish Perks, and this forum. I make note of the free preview start dates, and I then typically keep an eye out for when the free preview channels first pop-up on my channel guide and then I scroll through the entire free preview offerings to figure out what I am going to record on my 922. I do this as soon as I can and I often end up with somewhere between 15 to 30 HD movies (or other program material) I am interested in recording from the free preview. My wife and are big movie buffs and so far we have over 1200 movie titles between the internal hard drive on our 922, two 2 TB external hard drives, along with hard-copy Blu-Rays & DVDs.

This approach has been working for us and we are able to get a lot of benefit from the free previews that Dish offers at no extra cost to us. So, do I pay more attention to this than perhaps the average Dish customer who either doesn't care about free previews, or even if they do, they don't particularly care when they start or if they even have any desire to record anything? Probably so. So, to you guys, I then become a "high maintenance customer" or some guy inappropriately tying up resources, or just too focused on free previews for your taste.

One of the problems here IMO was the moderator merging what amounts to a double set of initial comments from two different threads which probably made this situation look worse than it was. Beyond that, if you bother to look at how this thing started was me simply asking if anyone else was having a problem seeing the Epix free preview channels on the morning of the free preview start. What's the big deal with that? All of a sudden, I'm some really impatient guy. Truth is, I've had a lot of technical problems with the two 922's I have had (especially channel guide and channel access issues), and I can't always assume that my problems are system wide which was the main reason I even posted in the first place to the forum.

So, I start what I thought was a simple chat session with Dish to ask them, but I guess I did something wrong with that approach in the eyes of those taking me to task on this thread. Bottom-line, I cannot read minds and for those who keep insisting that essentially all Dish CSR's and TSR's are totally wrong or misinformed, I can't divine that ahead of time. When the first TSR (who seemed knowledgeable and helpful) related to me in a very honest manner that Dish was having technical problems getting the Epix free preview started, I had no reason to disbelieve him. When he further told me that the problem had just been fixed and that I should see the free preview channels pop up on my channel guide within a few minutes, that seemed reasonable to me as well. I only followed-up with the second chat session a little over an hour later when nothing was showing up.

So, excuse me! If all of this seems over the top to you guys, too damn bad as far as I am concerned. Next time I'll mind my own business and not "force" you guys to have to read my trials & tribulations as they relate to free previews. :rolleyes:

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

You started to fill a thread about the HBO/Cinemax/Showtime preview next weekend with complaints about Epix ... and then started a duplicate thread. I could recite the forum rules you broke but it is easier to do what you should have done in the first place ... left the preview thread for discussing the previews and use this thread for complaining about Epix not being on as early as you expected.

We are a forum full of opinions. You expressed the opinion that the channels should have been on earlier, others have expressed the opinion that the timing was fine. There is no need for either side to get angry or emotional in expressing a simple opinion.

The Epix situation is resolved ... the channels are available and hopefully you will enjoy the content that you are able to capture during the free preview.

#24 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Amen.....

#25 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Is anyone else having a problem seeing the Epix free preview channels (which are supposed to be available from 1/4 through 1/16)? We normally get Epix 292 (as part of our main package) and I can of course see that SD channel as usual, however, I am not seeing channels 380, 381 or 382 as of this morning in the channel guide.

I cancelled Blockbuster but I get channel 292. Is normal?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#26 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

I cancelled Blockbuster but I get channel 292. Is normal?

All EPIX channels should be in free preview thru 1/16/13. EPIX Drive In is also in AT250.

#27 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I agree with DEC. We are paying for the "free"previews somewhere along the line so if they are supposed to begin at a certain time, they should begin at that time.

I probably wouldn't notice if they began on time until after work, but I could see someone being annoyed if they couldn't see a program because the preview didn't start on time.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I agree with DEC. We are paying for the "free"previews somewhere along the line so if they are supposed to begin at a certain time, they should begin at that time.

Defining the time seems to be the question. The thread starter had an expectation that was not met but when did DISH say the preview would start?

#29 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

I don't remember if Dish ever stated any start time for this free preview, In the past, most previews for premiums started mid afternoon, so 4 -5 pm seemed to fit this. I agree with James, DEC expected the preview at midnight and was upset when it didn't.

#30 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

As long as it appeared before 23:59 that night, it was not 'late' and there was no reason for anyone who wasn't paying for it to be upset.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#31 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

As long as it appeared before 23:59 that night, it was not 'late' and there was no reason for anyone who wasn't paying for it to be upset.

Exactly, the OP should be ashamed beyond belief at his false entitlement.:nono:

#32 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

We are paying for the "free"previews somewhere along the line so if they are supposed to begin at a certain time, they should begin at that time.

Of course we also pay somewhere along the line for someone getting antsy and contacting support 5 times in one morning. (5 times as of post #3, looks like there might have been even more after that.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...