Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR20?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   millertime

millertime

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Im thinking of just purchasing an HR20 instead. There seems to be some good prices on them. Question is which one is the best? I see alot of 100s and 700s

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

700 was always popular. There are really no hardware differences of much consequence.

Just make sure it's actually owned by giving the RID to the access card department, though it is possible for someone to give you an RID that is clear, and you actually receive something else.

If you want coax audio, you would need the -100.

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

If you are using supported WHDVR, the DECA connection on the 700 is a wee bit easier with only one SAT connection vs. two. Saves the cost of a splitter and a wire.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Very true. That's worth it right there.

#5 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I was told they would not activate HR20s anymore. I recently left Directv. They said they were so old they did not want them back. They did take back my HR21
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

True that they don't want them back, but they would activate. Heck, someone had a bad H20, was replaced with one, so that would have to be able to be activated. The only thing that they wouldn't activate is a box that doesn't have an RID or an MPG receiver, which is very old.

#7 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Pretty sure they'll activate anything with an RID but you can call and find out. I can't imagine any HR20 you will find is new so you will probably need to purchase an access card for it...$20.

Get the RID from the prospective seller and give DirecTV a call. It could be a deactivated and previously leased HR20 that they told the susbscriber not to bother sending back. If that is the case it is entirely possible they will not activate it.

The -100 will require a band stop filter if you are going to install it into a SWM/WHDVR environment. The -700 will not.

I personally am quite happy with my HR20-700. I use OTA extensively so the integrated ATSC tuners are valuable to me and quite honestly it is a bit faster I think than the other DVRs I have (R22, HR21 & HR22) with the add-on AM21. In fact my HR22 may be the slowest of them all.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#8 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

call 1-877-887-7994 :)
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...