Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about Genie with four C31s installed

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Coming back to D* next week as their current offer for new subs was just too good to pass up. A lot has changed though, so some questions to get me ready for install.

1) Should installer connect the HR34 directly to my FiOS router/switch via Ethernet, or will it require the DECA/Cinema Connection kit?
2) I still have the previous dish installed (slimline, 5 LNB) - should I get it replaced or just keep it in use?
3) Do these C31s require a dongle to use RF commands, or is it built in?
4) For anybody with a Slingbox, can it be connected to a C31?

Any other tips or hints to get ready would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Coming back to D* next week as their current offer for new subs was just too good to pass up. A lot has changed though, so some questions to get me ready for install.

1) Should installer connect the HR34 directly to my FiOS router/switch via Ethernet, or will it require the DECA/Cinema Connection kit?
2) I still have the previous dish installed (slimline, 5 LNB) - should I get it replaced or just keep it in use?
3) Do these C31s require a dongle to use RF commands, or is it built in?
4) For anybody with a Slingbox, can it be connected to a C31?

Any other tips or hints to get ready would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

1 - Doesn't matter, either way will work.
2 - The HR34 must have a SWiM connection, if it's a SWiM LNB probably not, else it will be replaced.
3 - RF is built in, no dongle is needed.
4 - Haven't tried it myself but with either the component or composite adapter cable it should work.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks RAD.

For No. 1, when you say "it doesn't matter" is there a preferred setup for installers? Or can I kindly suggest one over the other? The entire On Demand and Whole Home DVR system will work regardless of which option is chosen though, if I understand correctly.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Thanks RAD.

For No. 1, when you say "it doesn't matter" is there a preferred setup for installers? Or can I kindly suggest one over the other? The entire On Demand and Whole Home DVR system will work regardless of which option is chosen though, if I understand correctly.

Don't want to speak for RAD, but I think it's just a matter of what's easier logistically. If you have an internet connection near the HR34, that connection will provide the same functionality as a CCK.
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Some installers don't know that the HR34 can act as the DECA bridge so they'll want to install the DECA-BB. Really doesn't matter which way you go, the external DECA will require another power outlet.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

3 - RF is built in, no dongle is needed.

But the OP should understand that RF remotes are NOT part of a standard install; he might be able to get some/any out of the tech when he shows up, as they sometimes carry some with them. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

The C31 does not have normal composite or component output connectors. You must use a separate adapter cable (I think you can buy them on Solid Signal). That would be the only hiccup using a slingbox with it. And of course, you would have to have it set for IR, not RF.

#8 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Some installers don't know that the HR34 can act as the DECA bridge so they'll want to install the DECA-BB. Really doesn't matter which way you go, the external DECA will require another power outlet.

It isn't the fact of knowledge or not but Directv requires installers to use BB Deca to get credit for install.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#9 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

I have not come across too many cases where rf remotes were required, yet all d sat jobs send all rf remotes, no ir at all with genie or client.

Most of the clients get mounted or just sat on top of the tv thats mounted to the wall and as long as the sensor points up, it somehow work IR very well. Ive tried to the sides and down but the remote is flaky, it must bounce off the ceiling or something.
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Can a CAt5 cable be connected to a C31 and have the hr34 still act as a Bridge for internet?
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Can a CAt5 cable be connected to a C31 and have the hr34 still act as a Bridge for internet?

There's no CAT5 connection available on the C31. I guess it only speaks MoCA.
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

There's no CAT5 connection available on the C31. I guess it only speaks MoCA.

I thought that, Could you connect a BBDECA with a correct splitter spliter then connect that back to your router? and have it work as a bridge?
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I thought that, Could you connect a BBDECA with a correct splitter spliter then connect that back to your router? and have it work as a bridge?

I'm sure you could, if you can power the BB DECA separately. Coax from SWM to 2-way splitter. One leg to C31, the other leg to the BB Deca.

You know you can split a powered BB DECA into your set-up anywhere in your set-up, right? It doesn't have to be at a particular receiver location. Or if you can get a CAT-5 from your router (or switch) to your HR34, you don't need a BB DECA or CCK at all. The HR34 will serve as the bridge.
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'm sure you could, if you could power the BB DECA separately.

Coax from SWM to 2-way splitter. One leg to C31, the other leg to the BB Deca.

And /Or a CCK

Thank you
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#15 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the discussion everybody, but decided to stick with FiOS in the end. I'm sure I'll be flirting with D* again in the future though.

#16 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Well so much for that idea. Getting D* installed Monday. Going to try it out side-by-side with FiOS for a bit.

A little change on the original question. Going to have a Genie, HR24 and 3 C31s installed now. Can both the Genie and HR24 be connected via Ethernet? Or does having both active on my system now require that a DECA-BB be installed? Thanks again.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

HR24 cannot have anything plugged into the Ethernet jack (that disables the DECA). If you plug the Genie into your router through its Ethernet, then the HR24 will also get Internet access. DirecTV installers don't do it this way however.

#18 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

HR24 cannot have anything plugged into the Ethernet jack (that disables the DECA). If you plug the Genie into your router through its Ethernet, then the HR24 will also get Internet access. DirecTV installers don't do it this way however.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying with only the Genie plugged into ethernet, I'll get On Demand access through the HR24. No different than with the DECA setup. Is there a specific reason(s) the installers wouldn't do it that way?

#19 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

As far as the earlier post about component cables. The c31s use the 25 pin connector that can use either RCA or component and the tech should have them on his truck or dtv can send them cheap/free.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

So if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying with only the Genie plugged into ethernet, I'll get On Demand access through the HR24. No different than with the DECA setup. Is there a specific reason(s) the installers wouldn't do it that way?

The Genie can be used as a bridge. Ethernet plugged into the router gives Internet access to the DECA cloud. As to why they don't do it this way, honestly I don't know but I've always heard that at least as far as their official training, it's not the way they do it.

spam firewall