Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about Genie with four C31s installed

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

4) For anybody with a Slingbox, can it be connected to a C31?

While i haven't connected my Slingbox to a C31 it works just fine with a Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR (using the component adapter cable of course).

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#22 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

The Genie can be used as a bridge. Ethernet plugged into the router gives Internet access to the DECA cloud. As to why they don't do it this way, honestly I don't know but I've always heard that at least as far as their official training, it's not the way they do it.

Hmm, guess I'll have to gauge my installer's expertise on the matter when the time comes. Thanks again.

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

You can always just let them install the DECA-BB at the HR34's location and once they leave remove it if you want and connect the ethernet cable to the HR34. The cost of the DECA-BB is included as part of the installation, you don't get a discount if they don't use it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

You can always just let them install the DECA-BB at the HR34's location and once they leave remove it if you want and connect the ethernet cable to the HR34. The cost of the DECA-BB is included as part of the installation, you don't get a discount if they don't use it.

Oh, well I wasn't looking at it from a financial standpoint. I'd just like to have as little hardware as possible. Fewer points of possible failure. Thanks again.

#25 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Oh, well I wasn't looking at it from a financial standpoint. I'd just like to have as little hardware as possible. Fewer points of possible failure. Thanks again.

One advantage of the DECA-BB is IF the HR34 failed your HR24 would still have access to internet enabled applications like On Demand, Pandora, YouTube, etc.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#26 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

So if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying with only the Genie plugged into ethernet, I'll get On Demand access through the HR24. No different than with the DECA setup. Is there a specific reason(s) the installers wouldn't do it that way?

Any good installer is going to want to customer proof your system. They are going to install a BB deca right beside your HR34 and plug your internet into the BB deca.

Why, because when you decide that you want the other room to be able to record 5 shows, and only need 2 shows in this room, and you call *D to ask them if you can move the IRD, and the numbnutz on the phone says, "sure, no problem, it will work just fine." and you do. Your system no longer has internet connected to it, and your HR24 stops sharing with the network. Fast forward 24 hours and your next call to *D results in a truck roll and a chargeback to the original tech.

** Not to mention not installing the system this way negatively impacts his pay for your job, plus it negatively impacts his performance metrics that his entire paycheck is based on.

#27 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Any good installer is going to want to customer proof your system. They are going to install a BB deca right beside your HR34 and plug your internet into the BB deca.

Why, because when you decide that you want the other room to be able to record 5 shows, and only need 2 shows in this room, and you call *D to ask them if you can move the IRD, and the numbnutz on the phone says, "sure, no problem, it will work just fine." and you do. Your system no longer has internet connected to it, and your HR24 stops sharing with the network. Fast forward 24 hours and your next call to *D results in a truck roll and a chargeback to the original tech.

** Not to mention not installing the system this way negatively impacts his pay for your job, plus it negatively impacts his performance metrics that his entire paycheck is based on.

Thanks for the explanation.

#28 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Ya i found out on my weekly reports i was getting dinged for low connection numbers, you have to install deca keep your numbers up, really doesnt help with everyone going to 4g hotspots, kills the stats
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

spam firewall