Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 in an RV

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   csyrell

csyrell

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm considering purchasing an RV. I have ruled out an in motion antennae as I cannot get HD channels. So I will probably go with a roof mounted dish. My question is, will my HR24 DVR be able to play recorded pre-programs while I'm traveling down the road, without having any satellite reception?

Edited by csyrell, 05 January 2013 - 10:28 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

I believe that you need to have a satellite signal in order to play the recordings that are currently on the hard drive. This has been discussed here several times lately.

BTW, how's the weather up Route 81 from me?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   csyrell

csyrell

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'd be using the HR 24 that's in my home, bringing it out to the RV whenever we go on a trip. Maybe I'll unhook the cable and see if I can play recordings. That might answer my question. I guess in general, I'm also wondering will any dish work with my receiver. Typical weather day up here...Syracuse gray lol

#4 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Our HR21s will play recordings with the antenna down, at least for a day or two. It doesn't immediately block waiting for a signal. But we also don't turn it all the way off when we're traveling, so that might help. I don't know if the HR24 is significantly different.

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

DBSTALK Member Rich just posted in another thread that he takes his HR24 with him every year on vacation and just plugs the HDMI Cable into the TV and he then watches Recordings without a problem.

The trick is Not to connect it to a Dish as it might try to receive a signal and then when unsuccessfull it may try to Reboot the DVR to solve the problem.

I'm buying a Country Coach Affinity and it has a Motosat on top of it which is Great for easy setup but they are not cheap.

Also, I will be installing an A/B Switch so I can switch from the Motosat to another portable Tripod with an SL3 on it in case I can't get Line Of Sight with my Motosat (if I am parked under trees for instance).

Edited by Richierich, 05 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

If you do try and test it yourself, disconnect both the dish, and the power cord, then plug power back in and let it start up. You might have to press EXIT or MENU when it gets to the searching for satellite step. If you can get past that, then you should be able to watch recordings, at least for a while (people have reported anywhere from a few hours to a month or more, but it varies widely).

#7 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Just don't let it power down after your dish is down. If my HR20 reboots without sat signal it often gives me trouble, so I make sure the inverter in on line before I disconnect from the grid.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#8 OFFLINE   csyrell

csyrell

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for such great advice! I'll give these things a try, and I'll report back once I figure it out.

#9 OFFLINE   csyrell

csyrell

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Worked perfect! Thanks again everyone!

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm considering purchasing an RV. I have ruled out an in motion antennae as I cannot get HD channels.

How do you know this? I'm just guessing based on a motor vessel I volunteer on which has just installed a little globe on top of the aft stack, and it gets HD. Unfortunately the guy who chose the system went for cheap, and so I was treated to an hour of Dish when last aboard. I was told that unit costs $3500. I am hoping it can be converted to hold onto DIRECTV® signals. Bad on me, I didn't get the name of the system.

Anyone else familiar with a globe that's about a foot in diameter?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

How do you know this? I'm just guessing based on a motor vessel I volunteer on which has just installed a little globe on top of the aft stack, and it gets HD. Unfortunately the guy who chose the system went for cheap, and so I was treated to an hour of Dish when last aboard. I was told that unit costs $3500. I am hoping it can be converted to hold onto DIRECTV® signals. Bad on me, I didn't get the name of the system.

Anyone else familiar with a globe that's about a foot in diameter?

You talking about a Marine unit? The "globe" antennas for boats are generally not usable on RVs because of the height of the unit. Depending on the RV, you may have less than 12" of usable height above the roof for the antenna. That's not enough for the marine units.

At the time, no one makes an RV compatible dome antenna that receives the Ka band signals needed for DirecTV HD. Dish network uses Ku band for SD and HD, so there are domes available that will do Dish. The other problem with dome antennas is that they only have one LNB, and need to re-aim if you switch satellites. That's fine for DirecTV SD, because all the DirecTV SD programming is on one satellite (101). Dish is split between 110 and 119, so multiple receivers or a DVR is a real problem on Dish (SD or HD).

If you want HD and multiple tuner capability, an RV dome is not going to work.

I suspect the unit that boat had was this one: http://www.kvh.com/L...ision-M1DX.aspx

Edited by FlyingDiver, 05 January 2013 - 10:29 PM.
added link

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

FD-

Thank you. Answered all my questions and then some, including speculation. I was afraid there was some limiting factor and see there are several.

And you hit the exact instrument I saw on the aft stack.

BTW, the vessel is the USS Potomac, FDR's Presidential Yacht, open to all for touring dockside and several cruises a month on SF Bay. She's docked at Jack London Square in Oakland.

#13 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I've used my Directv receivers in my trailer for years and the one thing you might want to consider if you are going to use it in many different locations is buying a ground tripod. Roof mounts are going to be more limited in avoiding some interference. Also the Directv Slimline (SL5) dish is very heavy and the trick is finding a tripod built for a SL5. I built my own.

#14 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

FD-

Thank you. Answered all my questions and then some, including speculation. I was afraid there was some limiting factor and see there are several.

BTW, the vessel is the USS Potomac, FDR's Presidential Yacht, open to all for touring dockside and several cruises a month on SF Bay. She's docked at Jack London Square in Oakland.

You can get a Dish Dome In Motion Satellite Dish which will allow you to receive HD Dish Channels but since Directv went to MPEG-4 you can not buy an In Motion Directv Dome capable of locking onto the HD Satellites.

The only unit is an In Motion Dome (3 ft high which it too tall to put on top of an RV) and it is built for slower moving Yachts and cost about $14,000.

You can get a Stationary Motosat which will automatically lock onto the HS Satellite 99 and 103 but is Stationary so you need an A/B switch to have an Alternate Tripod/SL3 Dish which you can move to a location to get Line Of Sight when you can't use Motosat because a bad LOS Condition. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   csyrell

csyrell

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Roto, am I limited to getting a slimline dish, or would any Directv compatible dish work? I have a slimline at home.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'll be moving to a house with an SD system in place. Any chance my HD receivers will pick up anything? (The dish is quite round, and looks old, but it is currently bringing in SD programming.) I will be using mover's connection, but wondered what I might see before they install new dish.

#17 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

All receivers will work fine on the 18in dish, just choose the appropriate settings during setup.

Edit: SD only of course
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,960 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

All receivers will work fine on the 18in dish, just choose the appropriate settings during setup.

Edit: SD only of course

Thanks. Big disappointment for a few days, but understandable. I was hoping some channels in HD might be received from a bird that might be sharing bandwidth with an SD beam.

#19 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Thanks. Big disappointment for a few days, but understandable. I was hoping some channels in HD might be received from a bird that might be sharing bandwidth with an SD beam.

Originally HD was on 110 or 119, but I don't think there were ever any on 101.

#20 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I've been using my HR24 while camping. The trick for getting receiver to work is matching it with your dish setup. Purchased this slimeline dish and tripod. http://www.amazon.co...57656719&sr=1-2

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

spam firewall