Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI splitter to Cat5/6 less then 100ft

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ctsmd

ctsmd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I would like to send the output from my main TV to a slave monitor in the kitchen.

I have an HR24-200 and was looking at a HDMI splitter off the DVR to a HDMI to Cat 5/6, then a Cat 5/6 run of 45-60 feet and then a Cat5/6 to HDMI, then HDMI to TV/Slave monitor.

Has anyone done this and is this a logical setup. And would it work if splitter was active and HDMI to Cat5/6 converters passive?

Any thoughts????

Thanks

Carl
Geaux Tigers

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I did this at my old house and it worked great. There was an occasional "hiccup" that would cause the screen to go black on the remote tv for a second or two and it might happen once a day or so, depending on how much the TV was on....I never knew if it was related to the HDMI splitter or the HDMI over Cat5e/Cat6 adapters, but it wasn't annoying enough to make me change anything.

Basically my setup was an HR22 in the garage feeding this splitter:

Posted Image

Link To HDMI Splitter

with one feed going into my 37" LCD tv in the garage, and the other feed going into this:

Posted Image

Link To Cat5e/6 to HDMI Adapter

I ran 2 runs of Cat5e of about 45-50 feet (including wall drops) through the attic into my sons room and into his 26" LCD tv. One more caveat.....the HDMI Over Cat5e/Cat6 boxes are a bit big and I had to trim the low voltage wall plate bracket a bit to make them fit in these....

Posted Image

Link To Low Voltage Wall Plate Bracket

Hope that helps and is what you were looking to do! :D

Edited by chevyguy559, 07 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#3 OFFLINE   ctsmd

ctsmd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the info.

That is similar except only one TV will use the Cat 5/6 wiring
Geaux Tigers

#4 OFFLINE   martinbush1986

martinbush1986

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

There are 2 options. You can use a HDMI Splitter and an active HDMI Extender or you can use a Cat5 HDMI Splitter extender with 2 outputs. I have used KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Extender solutions in the past and they work well.

#5 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info.

That is similar except only one TV will use the Cat 5/6 wiring

I only used one TV with the Cat5/6 extender, but the extender requires 2 runs of Cat5/6, thats why I had 2 runs, does that make sense? :lol: If you look at the link it'll show the instructions and it should be clear :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

I use a 60ft HDMI cable(Monoprice)from my ATI video card in my desktop computer straight to my Sony TV with no extenders and it works perfecly. IIRC I used a 24 ga cable

Protected By... spam firewall...And...