Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Static or DHCP on simple system

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I have a very simple WHDVR system; a Genie and HR21-700. The internet connection is via a CAT5e from my router (Linksys e3000) to a black device labeled "Connected Home Adapter".

The IP addresses are currently being served by DHCP. I have no problems in the couple days this has been installed but I was wondering if there is any advantage to a static IP or is DHCP fine?

BTW, is the black device labeled "Connected Home Adapter" a CCK or what? It has a green label and DCA2SR0-01 id on it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Don't bother with static, leave it on DHCP. Every time your dvr's reboot (power outage, software update) they're gonna want a new IP, so if they're on static, that'll bork your whole home dvr after the first reboot.

#3 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

BTW, is the black device labeled "Connected Home Adapter" a CCK or what? It has a green label and DCA2SR0-01 id on it.

Yes, that's a hardwire CCK, as opposed to the fairly common Wireless CCK that DirecTV installs.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Don't bother with static, leave it on DHCP. Every time your dvr's reboot (power outage, software update) they're gonna want a new IP, so if they're on static, that'll bork your whole home dvr after the first reboot.

I disagree with this. I have static for both of my HRs and have never had it "bork" on reboots. I have the Waltz remote application for controlling the DVRs and you need to enter the IP of the DVR for this to work. So if left as dynamic IP and you did a reboot, you won't necessarily get the same IP address. The DHCP should, since it stores the MAC address for attached devices. But, I found this to be a problem a while back and went with static IP. The scheme I use to assign the static address was to use the HR model number as the last octet of the IP.

Edited by jdspencer, 05 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm totally with jd on this. I assign IP addresses within my router's range, but well above those it's likely to hand out. It's been rock solid for two years. Have used Waltz's fine work, but now mostly use the iPad app. YMMV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

It would seem the answer to the OP is that either way will work.

I prefer IP reservations, but the alternative can do the job too.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Seems fairly simple here:
I use DHCP [for years] and don't have any problems.

"If/when" I would have a problem, "then" I'd change to static to see if it helped.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Seems fairly simple here:
I use DHCP [for years] and don't have any problems.

"If/when" I would have a problem, "then" I'd change to static to see if it helped.

Sounds like a good plan...and based on your expertise...a very good plan. :)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I use DHCP Reservations to assign a Quasi Static IP Address (technically not the same thing as a True Static IP Address but since it reassigns the same IP Address when it Renews the Lease to the Mac Address it is essentially a Static IP Address since the IP Address Never changes).

Or use a True "Static" IP Address assigned outside of the DHCP Range. Both will work and DHCP Reservations has worked for me and many many others here at DBSTALK. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'll have to disagree with this one also. All my HRs and anything else in the house that's not mobile have had static IPs since the day they were connected. (except nomad - it has a reservation simply because you can't set a static on it)

No borking at all . . . haven't touched anyting from an IP problem after any power outage, software update at all.

The biggest disadvantage I've seen with DHCP is some routers aren't reliable in passing out or renewing an address. . . or either the device isn't reliable in accepting it.

The other disadvantage is occasionally a device will get a new address because of being offline too long or a software update. That makes troubleshooting difficult if something is quirky.

I keep a list of IPs / devices and have a batch file on my desktop that pings every DVR and important device on my network. I can quickly tell who's there and who's not.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

The biggest disadvantage I've seen with DHCP is some routers aren't reliable in passing out or renewing an address. . . or either the device isn't reliable in accepting it.

This is the most common reason to change to static.
My router "plays nice", so I use DHCP.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

DHCP reservations here. Always been this way. 2-33 assigned at the moment. Works great. Like it nice and tidy.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#13 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I use DHCP reservations and have without issue since the HRs have had network capabilities.

I use .34 for my HR34, .24 for my HR24, and .22 for my HR22, which makes it all so nice and easy to identify in the router logs and lists.

Edited by TXD16, 05 January 2013 - 07:44 PM.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I use static, but assign the address on the HRs. I move receivers around a lot for testing, so it's easier for me to remember that whatever receiver in the family room is 192.168.1.201, kitchen is .202, living room .203, [...], et al.

I just go to" Network", "Advanced" on each receiver, and plug in the address I want there. Since it's already got 3/4 of the address via DHCP, I just have to change the last three numbers.
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Incorrect... If you set static IP's the DVRs will not look for an IP on each reboot, they'll already have one. A Static IP will not "bork" anything.

I've never run anything other than Static IPs and I've not had any IP related issues, ever.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I use DHCP reservations and have without issue since the HRs have had network capabilities.

I use .34 for my HR34, .24 for my HR24, and .22 for my HR22, which makes it all so nice and easy to identify in the router logs and lists.

Sounds familiar! Where'd you get that system? :)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yup. Static IP's and Reserved IP's work just fine.

Just as a reminder about them...

A static IP is one that you set on the device itself. A reserved IP address (DHCP Reservations) is an IP address assigned by the router, however, the same IP address is issued out by the router to a device according to the device's MAC address. If you use actual static IP addresses, you should make sure that the address used is not one that is within the DHCP range that the router uses.

Personally, I prefer DHCP Reservations. Along with knowing what the IP address is of all my devices, I can easily see what the list is by looking in my router setup. I can also change IP addresses easily while just at my computer/tablet/etc. With static IP addresses, you need to go to the device itself to change its IP address and you generally can't see the device's IP address via the router.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#18 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Sounds familiar! Where'd you get that system? :)

Gosh, Laxguy, it's been so long that I don't even remember, but if it was from you, and if you're fishing for what are referred to on other boards as "rep points," then consider yourself duly "repped!" ;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#19 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

This is the most common reason to change to static.
My router "plays nice", so I use DHCP.

Just curious VOS, what brand/model of router do you have? I have a ES3000 and it does not do well with DHCP, so I have disconnected the internet from my HR34, so I will not lose all my other HRDVRs.

Thanks for any info, you can give me.

#20 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Just curious VOS, what brand/model of router do you have? I have a ES3000 and it does not do well with DHCP, so I have disconnected the internet from my HR34, so I will not lose all my other HRDVRs.

Thanks for any info, you can give me.

Try using DHCP Reservatlions and also if you can, extend the DHCP Lease Time to the max possible. This has generally resolved the problem with DHCP and Whole Home issues.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...