Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Static or DHCP on simple system

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Gosh, Laxguy, it's been so long that I don't even remember, but if it was from you, and if you're fishing for what are referred to on other boards as "rep points," then consider yourself duly "repped!" ;)

:hurah: Heh. You netted the fisherman here. Haven't run across "rep points" but afaik, I am the first one to have talked about it. Thanks for the cool reply!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

If everything works correctly, there is little difference between static IPs, DHCP assigned and reserved DHCP addresses. Once a node is assigned an IP address via DHCP it is unlikely to change unless there is a complete power outage. Even if the router is restarted, most nodes will ask to renew their existing address and so nothing will change.

If your router is flakey and doesn't manage IPs correctly, I think you'd have bigger problems than just MRV issues. I once had a router with this problem - it would periodically simply stop responding to DHCP requests - and I saw the problem with the PCs and printers on my network before any MRV issues cropped up.

In the days of TiVo DVRs running TiVoWeb it was convenient to have static IPs so that you knew which IP to use to access a particular DVR. These days, unless you have a specific reason to use static or reserved IPs, I don't see any performance related reasons to not just go with the default of DHCP.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#23 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

This would be my recommendation as well.

I've used 2 different routers and just plain old DHCP with no issues running up to 11 DirectTV receivers in addition to multiple PCs, network AV receivers, network connected TV and BluRay appliances with no issues. Max lease time make sure you have enough addresses in your DHCP "span" to accommodate all devices you are connecting.

If you are running a wireless network from the router as well, make sure you aren't giving out addresses to neighbors;) by securing it.

I can't help you on routers much unless you've an open budget as my ASUS RT-N66U has come down to appx 160 dollars at Fry's. Not in most peoples budget but worth every cent to me. YMMV. I showed my network admin here at work (whom had sold me on that model ASUS) my iPad's Fing (network application output) and it showed 42 devices and he muttered that it looked like a work output.

Static addressing should be a last resort as it forces maintenance as your network evolves.

There was a 10 best routers paper a few months back on AVS Forum You might want to poke around there if you end up looking for new.

Don "may be just settings or perhaps time for a new router" Bolton

Try using DHCP Reservatlions and also if you can, extend the DHCP Lease Time to the max possible. This has generally resolved the problem with DHCP and Whole Home issues.

- Merg

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#24 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

In testing and implementation of WHDVR Service there were many many instances where until the User began using Static IP Addresses or Quasi "Static" IP Addresses assigned by DHCP Reservation List there were problems associated with a disconnect from the Router to Nomad.

After using Static IP Addresses or Quasi "Static" IP Addresses assigned by DHCP Reservation List these Problems disappeared so many here at DBSTALK unanimously prefer Static IP Addresses. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#25 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

[...] many here at DBSTALK unanimously prefer Static IP Addresses. :)

Right you are, but just to keep things in perspective... there may be a million or more WHDVR customers who don't even know how to spell DHCP whose boxes are getting their IP addresses automatically, presumably without issues.
/steve

#26 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Right you are, but just to keep things in perspective... there may be a million or more WHDVR customers who don't even know how to spell DHCP whose boxes are getting their IP addresses automatically, presumably without issues.

Yes, but for those who DO have Problems the Solution seems to be a True or Quasi Static IP Address.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

...I can't help you on routers much unless you've an open budget as my ASUS RT-N66U has come down to appx 160 dollars at Fry's...

The ASUS RT-N66U is hands down the BEST router I have used in 18 years of home networking. I've had D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo, Motorola and others whose names I don't recall, and the ASUS outperforms all of them. If you haven't done so already, you might want to try Merlin's build of the ASUS firmware. You can read about this build (as well as an independant review of it) at the smallnetbuilder forum.

PS: You have me beat, we only have 32 devices on our household LAN. :)

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

In testing and implementation of WHDVR Service there were many many instances where until the User began using Static IP Addresses or Quasi "Static" IP Addresses assigned by DHCP Reservation List there were problems associated with a disconnect from the Router to Nomad.

After using Static IP Addresses or Quasi "Static" IP Addresses assigned by DHCP Reservation List these Problems disappeared so many here at DBSTALK unanimously prefer Static IP Addresses. :)

Well, my approach in networking is "if it isn't boken, don't fix it." Unless someone has a specific issue with connectivity, I see no reason to reccomend they use static IPs. It is more work, requires more technical expertise, and adds maintenance. For most people, DHCP "just works" and provides "play and play" convenience.

Current setup:

#29 OFFLINE   br408408

br408408

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I have been using WHDVR since it was first supported. I had problems at first with boxes dropping off so I switched to static IP's, and haven't had a single problem since. I have my computers on DHCP, but like to use static IP's for things like DVR's and printers. Just seems to be less problems (no problems) this way...and I don't see a down side to using static IP's on these devices.

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Well, my approach in networking is "if it isn't boken, don't fix it." Unless someone has a specific issue with connectivity, I see no reason to reccomend they use static IPs. It is more work, requires more technical expertise, and adds maintenance. For most people, DHCP "just works" and provides "play and play" convenience.

Correct. There is nothing wrong with using DHCP, but as stated there are some that have issues with their receivers renewing the DHCP lease. Switching to DHCP Reservations or Static IP Addresses seems to resolve those issues. As such, I don't necessarily recommend switching unless it seems like the issues presented could be resolved by switching.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

I have been using WHDVR since it was first supported. I had problems at first with boxes dropping off so I switched to static IP's, and haven't had a single problem since [...]

I could be wrong, but I think in the early days of MRV there were some issues with DHCP lease acquisition and renewal in some folks' setups that DirecTV has long since put to bed. Not unlike the early days of HDMI compatibility. It's probably not easy to come up with an implementation that works with everyone else's hardware on day one.
/steve

#32 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I could be wrong, but I think in the early days of MRV there were some issues with DHCP lease acquisition and renewal in some folks' setups that DirecTV has long since put to bed. Not unlike the early days of HDMI compatibility. It's probably not easy to come up with an implementation that works with everyone else's hardware on day one.

I wish that was true but my WHDVR(MRV) works fine as long as I don't have the internet connected. Of course I can not do on demand, but if I connect my internet back the boxes start dropping off and I am having to restart my receivers all the time.

I have not figured out how to do an infinite lease on my E3000 router yet, which would probably solve the dropping of the boxes in WHDVR setup. I can only do a 7 day lease, not an infinite.

If anyone knows how to do a infinite lease for my E3000 CISCO router, please let me know.

Thanks,,, :)

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I wish that was true but my WHDVR(MRV) works fine as long as I don't have the internet connected. Of course I can not do on demand, but if I connect my internet back the boxes start dropping off and I am having to restart my receivers all the time.

I have not figured out how to do an infinite lease on my E3000 router yet, which would probably solve the dropping of the boxes in WHDVR setup. I can only do a 7 day lease, not an infinite.

If anyone knows how to do a infinite lease for my E3000 CISCO router, please let me know.

A common "fix" is to use a static IP outside of the DHCP reserved range.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

A common "fix" is to use a static IP outside of the DHCP reserved range.

+1

- Merg

#35 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have a E3000 but I use Tomato firmware. But what you are talking about is possibly a reserved DHCP address. It never changes. But I don't have the linksys firmware loaded to help you. Maybe do a google search. Also, you can do a static ip. You do that on the DVR itself.

#36 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I have a E3000 but I use Tomato firmware. But what you are talking about is possibly a reserved DHCP address. It never changes. But I don't have the linksys firmware loaded to help you. Maybe do a google search. Also, you can do a static ip. You do that on the DVR itself.

Most stock firmwares don't allow an unlimited lease time. DHCP Reservation is not an unlimited lease. It is just a way to tell the router that every time the lease is renewed to use a specific IP address for the specified MAC address.

- Merg

#37 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Most stock firmwares don't allow an unlimited lease time.

Stock Firmware, what is this foreign tongue you speak?

#38 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Most stock firmwares don't allow an unlimited lease time. DHCP Reservation is not an unlimited lease. It is just a way to tell the router that every time the lease is renewed to use a specific IP address for the specified MAC address.

- Merg

Thanks for clearing that up. But would static ip help with what was originally asked?

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,933 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. But would static ip help with what was originally asked?

The IP addresses are currently being served by DHCP. I have no problems in the couple days this has been installed but I was wondering if there is any advantage to a static IP or is DHCP fine?

I don't see any advantage.
Changing to static is good "when you have problems". ;)
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Stock Firmware, what is this foreign tongue you speak?

I'm assuming what is meant that for a E3000, stock firmware is what came with it. That is, the Linksys firmware.

There are 3rd party firmwares which can replace the original firmware and provide additional functionality. For some Linksys routers, there is Tomato or DD-WRT 3rd party firmwares which can replace the original manufacture's firmware.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...