Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Static or DHCP on simple system

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't see any advantage.
Changing to static is good "when you have problems". ;)

+1

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'm assuming what is meant that for a E3000, stock firmware is what came with it. That is, the Linksys firmware.

There are 3rd party firmwares which can replace the original firmware and provide additional functionality. For some Linksys routers, there is Tomato or DD-WRT 3rd party firmwares which can replace the original manufacture's firmware.

That's exactly what I meant. I use DD-WRT on my Linksys routers, although I previously used Tomato. At the time I started using it, the Linksys firmware didn't allow DHCP Reservations, which I am a big fan of.

- Merg

#43 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

That's exactly what I meant. I use DD-WRT on my Linksys routers, although I previously used Tomato. At the time I started using it, the Linksys firmware didn't allow DHCP Reservations, which I am a big fan of.

- Merg

I use Tomato on my main E3000 router and DD-WRT on my E1000 used as a AP.

I noticed all the Directv DVRs I have used play very well with my Linksys routers and prior routers using DHCP. I'm thankful for that.

#44 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'm assuming what is meant that for a E3000, stock firmware is what came with it. That is, the Linksys firmware.

There are 3rd party firmwares which can replace the original firmware and provide additional functionality. For some Linksys routers, there is Tomato or DD-WRT 3rd party firmwares which can replace the original manufacture's firmware.

Lol I should have included a smiley, I was just poking fun at The Merg. Yeah I run DD-WRT on my E3000 (SVN revision 19519).

An on topic I have always used Static Leases for all my devices but I also set the IP manually in the D* equipment. Has always worked great and no network dropouts.

#45 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yup. Static IP's and Reserved IP's work just fine.

Just as a reminder about them...

A static IP is one that you set on the device itself. A reserved IP address (DHCP Reservations) is an IP address assigned by the router, however, the same IP address is issued out by the router to a device according to the device's MAC address. If you use actual static IP addresses, you should make sure that the address used is not one that is within the DHCP range that the router uses.

Personally, I prefer DHCP Reservations. Along with knowing what the IP address is of all my devices, I can easily see what the list is by looking in my router setup. I can also change IP addresses easily while just at my computer/tablet/etc. With static IP addresses, you need to go to the device itself to change its IP address and you generally can't see the device's IP address via the router.

- Merg

Thanks for the explanation, I've learned something today.
I've always used DHCP reservations, but had always thought those were static IPs. Now I know the difference.
PS: I never claimed to be a networking expert:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995

#46 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Yup. Static IP's and Reserved IP's work just fine.

Just as a reminder about them...

A static IP is one that you set on the device itself. A reserved IP address (DHCP Reservations) is an IP address assigned by the router, however, the same IP address is issued out by the router to a device according to the device's MAC address. If you use actual static IP addresses, you should make sure that the address used is not one that is within the DHCP range that the router uses.

Personally, I prefer DHCP Reservations. Along with knowing what the IP address is of all my devices, I can easily see what the list is by looking in my router setup. I can also change IP addresses easily while just at my computer/tablet/etc. With static IP addresses, you need to go to the device itself to change its IP address and you generally can't see the device's IP address via the router.

- Merg

I use DHCP with reserved addresses also. The only issue I have had is recently my router was thought to be acting up (really wasn't, It was a provider issue) and I was required to reset the router to factory defaults. This deleted the internal DHCP reervation table and I had to reset several remote control apps that needed to know the IPs. Otherwise it works fine.

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I use DHCP with reserved addresses also. The only issue I have had is recently my router was thought to be acting up (really wasn't, It was a provider issue) and I was required to reset the router to factory defaults. This deleted the internal DHCP reervation table and I had to reset several remote control apps that needed to know the IPs. Otherwise it works fine.

Yup. With DHCP Reservations and Static IP Addresses, each has its own benefits and downsides. You found out the downside to DHCP Reservations.

- Merg

#48 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

The ASUS RT-N66U is hands down the BEST router I have used in 18 years of home networking. I've had D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo, Motorola and others whose names I don't recall, and the ASUS outperforms all of them. If you haven't done so already, you might want to try Merlin's build of the ASUS firmware.

I am new to wireless. I installed an RT-N66U, because of the favorable reviews at AVS, to run my new Ipad Mini. I have a small set up with a ROKU XS, ATV3, and OPPO 83, G5 Mac Pro PPC by ethernet, and the Mini by wireless. It has been surprisingly simple and trouble free to set up. I am using DHCP
I am using WPA-2 personal, Is that an appropriate setting. I have a WD portable drive and I can see it on the Mac and Mini, but I can't figure out how to delete and add to it from the Mac or Mini, is there a way. I want to try setting up VPN but am concerned about screwing something up.

I have Centurytel DSL, going to an old non wifi Actiontec router and the ASUS by ethernet to it. Should I be concerned about settings on the Actiontec will it slow the ASUS down? Would Merlin help with a simple set up like mine? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ron

#49 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Could anyone answer any of the questions, please? Thanks ron

#50 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the explanation, I've learned something today.
I've always used DHCP reservations, but had always thought those were static IPs. Now I know the difference.
PS: I never claimed to be a networking expert:)

There are "Quasi" Static IP Addresses assigned by DHCP and RENEWED when DHCP Renews It's Licenses so DHCP Assigns the Same IP Address but with True Static IP Addresses once it is Assigned Outside of the DHCP Range then it will Never have to be Reassigned or Renewed as in the case of DHCP Reservations!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have the very same setup and also prefer it for the reasons you mention. It has proven to be an extremely reliable network infrastructure here.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#52 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I am new to wireless. I installed an RT-N66U, because of the favorable reviews at AVS, to run my new Ipad Mini. I have a small set up with a ROKU XS, ATV3, and OPPO 83, G5 Mac Pro PPC by ethernet, and the Mini by wireless. It has been surprisingly simple and trouble free to set up. I am using DHCP
I am using WPA-2 personal, Is that an appropriate setting. I have a WD portable drive and I can see it on the Mac and Mini, but I can't figure out how to delete and add to it from the Mac or Mini, is there a way. I want to try setting up VPN but am concerned about screwing something up.

I have Centurytel DSL, going to an old non wifi Actiontec router and the ASUS by ethernet to it. Should I be concerned about settings on the Actiontec will it slow the ASUS down? Would Merlin help with a simple set up like mine? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ron

#53 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

that'll bork your whole home dvr after the first reboot.[/QUOTE]

bork? the last time I heard that word was from The 40 year Old Virgin :D

#54 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

that'll bork your whole home dvr after the first reboot.

bork? the last time I heard that word was from The 40 year Old Virgin :D

Mr. Pimp:

I used that very word 23 hours ago. It's a fine word. And since you're sniffing hard at Dish, perhaps snarky commentary can be reserved for that forum.....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Mr. Pimp:

I used that very word 23 hours ago. It's a fine word. And since you're sniffing hard at Dish, perhaps snarky commentary can be reserved for that forum.....:D

Well excuse me for trying to be humorous, and I know what it means by the way

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...