Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tax time for 2012, software or online?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I have been using Turbo Tax online for a few years now.
I am about to do the same.
Anyone have a better idea?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I've used TurboTax software (not online) for more than 8 years now.

Very satisfied, and welcome the data being locally secure as opposed to online somewhere else. It comes down to preference.

I have tried 2 other tax packages, but they seem far less intuitive and also lacked the powerful help that comes with TurboTax IMHO.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I do it on-line. Different sites based on the IRS free-file recommendations. Don't why they change guidelines every year, but I can usually find one that free-files both the Fed and State.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I've used TurboTax software (not online) for more than 8 years now.

Very satisfied, and welcome the data being locally secure as opposed to online somewhere else. It comes down to preference.

I have tried 2 other tax packages, but they seem far less intuitive and also lacked the powerful help that comes with TurboTax IMHO.

I guess I always assumed the data was stored on my computer even with the online version.
I had not even considered the security aspect of it.
Might be time to buy the software again.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I guess I always assumed the data was stored on my computer even with the online version.
I had not even considered the security aspect of it.
Might be time to buy the software again.

I really don't want to derail this thread...so I'll just quickly say that based on working in the financial services technology business for a long time...any feeling of security about storing financial information online somewhere should be based on one's comfort level with who stores it and how. Most folks don't even ask their vendor about those things. But even the feds are now questioning and researching risks tied to cloud computing...so nothing's absolute when it comes to online data storage security. Sorry for that brief distraction.

As a product...there are actually several good Tax programs out there, and they all seem to get a bit better each year in terms of usability. Given the choice, I'll stick with TurboTax.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I use the Turbo Tax Disc. I want to be able to reload and look at past years files if I need to or want to for any reason.
I like that it pulls in last year's information and fills it in on the new form.
Especially like that it pulls in my stock trades and enters all of those. That used to take quite awhile to do that when I trade a lot.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

TurboTax here for many years. No wonder so many accountants are out of work.

I think a major crisis about to happen is because we have so much or our banking / financial information available to third world countries.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#8 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Especially like that it pulls in my stock trades and enters all of those. That used to take quite awhile to do that when I trade a lot.

And that is one reason why I started the thread. The stock trade info has been sketchy at best with TurboTax. A few years I just had to do it on a legal pad to get it right. But I assumed all of the tax companies were using that same resource that was overloaded. The name slips my mind.

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

You might want to read this article: Computer World: Do you know where your data is?.

The author wanted to amend his 2009 taxes (in 2011). The data file was no longer available online, so he had to do it 'the long way.' He could have saved the data file to his computer, but he didn't know it at the time. Just another thing to consider.

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

TurboTax Deluxe or Premier for many years. Works perfectly.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

And that is one reason why I started the thread. The stock trade info has been sketchy at best with TurboTax. A few years I just had to do it on a legal pad to get it right. But I assumed all of the tax companies were using that same resource that was overloaded. The name slips my mind.

The accuracy and availability of the stock buys and sells should be whatever your broker is providing for the program to import.

I use Scottrade and they just started doing it in the last few years. Before that it was all by hand. For that and taxes reasons I did most of my trading in the IRA and bought stocks with a longer termed outlook for the taxable account.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

ive used taxact online for several years with no problems. other members of my family have used turbo tax software for years with no complaints.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#13 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

TurboTax disk for many years it has always worked very well.

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

TT online.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I been using turbo tax for 12 years, I actually got the 2012 copy on nov 18 the first day it was available. There is always a 10 discount on day 1.

I tell you what is nice my w-2 is ready to. The only thing im waiting for is the bank and other stuff, but I'm ready to file. But I always file 2nd week in February.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#16 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Have been using TaxCut (which is now known as "H&R Block At Home™ Tax Software"---what marketing genius made that decision?) pretty much since it's been available.

There's always a pretty significant price discount available at some point before April 15, of which I generally try to avail myself. In fact, today, Amazon has the downloadable deluxe version available for $17.00, so I already have my copy.

I did a side-by-side comparison of TaxCut and TurboTax a couple of years ago and found them to be functionally quite similar, but decided to continue to use TaxCut due to the lower annual cost for TaxCut, I mean, H&R Block At Home™ Tax Software. :rolleyes:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#17 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I did a side-by-side comparison of TaxCut and TurboTax a couple of years ago and found them to be functionally quite similar

When you did this, did you have stocks and wash rules in play?

#18 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

When you did this, did you have stocks and wash rules in play?

I've been at least partially invested for a long, long, long (did I mention long?) time. I seek opportunities, some short-term, some long.

As to the software, I found neither to be definitively superior to the other, but both to be fairly capable, and, thus, stuck with the familiar. Neither will save you from all of the manual work/calculations required, especially as your portfolio becomes increasingly complex, but both are fairly well refined at this point.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#19 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

If you are doing more than 1 tax return Tax Cut offers 5 free e-files compared to 1 for Turbo Tax. I switched for this reason. I think Turbo Tax interface is a little better but I was happy to save money :)
DirecTV customer since 1995

#20 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Used Turbo Tax for years until 2003 when this happened, swith to H&R block at that time and never looked back

http://news.cnet.com...017-979357.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...