Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tax time for 2012, software or online?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,256 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

I use TT Online ... the "product activation" problem doesn't affect me and it is nice being able to get the previous years from "the cloud" regardless of what PC I am using this year.

Up until last year I did federal only filing with the state (Indiana) offering free filing via forms on the state website. Last year the state stopped offering free filing but gave out discounts to several products (including TT) so I did TT state and federal. I have not decided what I am doing this year.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

This might have been one of those questions that warranted a poll... :shrug:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

wingrider - what's wrong with activation? Keeps people from giving the disk to their friends and protects their copyright.

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

wingrider - what's wrong with activation? Keeps people from giving the disk to their friends and protects their copyright.

For sure - that's exactly why they do it.

There are also varations sold with/without state returns and/or with/without e-file. In the case of TurboTax..they also have levels that reflect depth of certain topics, such as investments, etc. All include extensive help.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

We have been using taxact.com for 5 years or so. Works great.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#26 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Had to reprint a tax return from a previous year for tution assistance, between the time the return was filed and the time it need to be printed the computer that it was originally installed on melted down and I built a completely new box, took me aboout 2 and half weeks to get the program put back on and re-authorized - never again, they never admitted that it was hashed on the current equipment that it was installed on.

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Had to reprint a tax return from a previous year for tution assistance, between the time the return was filed and the time it need to be printed the computer that it was originally installed on melted down and I built a completely new box, took me aboout 2 and half weeks to get the program put back on and re-authorized - never again, they never admitted that it was hashed on the current equipment that it was installed on.

....seriously? You can get AND use an official transcript of your return from the IRS for that purpose.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I always print one for the IRS, one for me to file and one using PDF Creator and have that file backed up on a Flash Drive.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#29 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

I've used Tax Act now for as long as I can remember. Save all my forms in a flash drive,my pc (back up data plan) and hard copies. $10 bucks a year, remembers my data, and never a problem. Sounds like everyone has good choices per their comfort level. I know a few who refuse to do either, still do paper filing. I yearn for a Flat or Fair tax in this country, but understand politicians couldn't rule us without the power of taxation.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

#30 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

If you are doing more than 1 tax return Tax Cut offers 5 free e-files compared to 1 for Turbo Tax. I switched for this reason. I think Turbo Tax interface is a little better but I was happy to save money :)

Turbo Tax now offers 5 free e-files, even the basic version. I bought the deluxe version last year but didn't need the extra features so I went back to the basic version this year.

#31 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Turbo Tax now offers 5 free e-files, even the basic version. I bought the deluxe version last year but didn't need the extra features so I went back to the basic version this year.

Thanks for the tip but you would think they would adversite that fact on their products page :confused:
http://turbotax.intu...personal-taxes/
DirecTV customer since 1995

#32 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the tip but you would think they would adversite that fact on their products page :confused:
http://turbotax.intu...personal-taxes/

The Disc version in the store shows 5 E files.
http://www.officedep...ac-Traditional/

Helps you get every dollar you deserve from your taxes
Asks plain-English questions that are easy to understand and answer
Expert one-on-one answers to your unique questions throughout the year
Double-checks your return for deductions and credits
Includes 5 Free Federal E-Files

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#33 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

I use tax act too.. but since I have no deductions anymore I could just hand do them on EZ form..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#34 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

I always print one for the IRS, one for me to file and one using PDF Creator and have that file backed up on a Flash Drive.

Had the original files, a user should be able to regenerate ANY report or output as long as I have the original files, the file was backed up on a flash drive, a burned cd with a copy in one of my fireproof gun safes and another in the safe deposit box. there is no excuse for what occurred othe then the desire for a company to make it as difficult as possible to recover information, beside the jury was still out on the spyware portion of the accusations

#35 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Had the original files, a user should be able to regenerate ANY report or output as long as I have the original files, the file was backed up on a flash drive, a burned cd with a copy in one of my fireproof gun safes and another in the safe deposit box. there is no excuse for what occurred othe then the desire for a company to make it as difficult as possible to recover information, beside the jury was still out on the spyware portion of the accusations

You had no need for the software if you had the files. Your story doesn't make any sense.
DTV = Digital Television

#36 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've never used anything but TaxAct. There is a free version, but the premium version costs less than $20 and includes one free e-file for both state and federal. It will also import data from last year, and flag anything that deviates substantially from it on this year's return, and offer tips on how to reduce your tax burden next year.

It will generate a PDF of your return for you, in addition to backing up the program-specific files (which is probably the issue wingrider ran into). I also store a copy of my return on a flash drive, and email it to myself to file in a webmail account in the cloud.

If you order it for download, they will have a record of your purchase, and should your machine ever melt down, or be replaced, you can just log in to your account and re-download an earlier year's program files to recreate the return.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#37 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I've been using TT for many years. They charge extra for efiling a state return, so I print out the state return and mail it in. State refund is delayed a couple weeks, but it's always a small refund anyway.

Amazon download seems to be cheapest approach, although I haven't checked Costco yet.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#38 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

You had no need for the software if you had the files. Your story doesn't make any sense.

Hmm, kind of hard to read the files and generate a tax return without the program now isn't it? I had the original input files that I created as I inpput the data to generate the tax return, not any output

#39 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hmm, kind of hard to read the files and generate a tax return without the program now isn't it? I had the original input files that I created as I inpput the data to generate the tax return, not any output

That you didn't use the option of generating a PDF is your own fault. Not to mention, as I said earlier, the IRS will send you a transcript of your return free of charge that includes all the information you needed. You chose the most difficult path for some reason.
DTV = Digital Television

#40 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

That you didn't use the option of generating a PDF is your own fault. Not to mention, as I said earlier, the IRS will send you a transcript of your return free of charge that includes all the information you needed. You chose the most difficult path for some reason.

Why should I, I have the files backed up I should be able to reload the program without going through any blasted rigamarole and grovel to the developer of the software just becaiuse they want security on their SDT application. Sorry your second suggestion of calling the IRS to get a transcript was not within the time frame I had to produce the documentation required.

Bottom line - I should be able to reload ANY application on my machine without having to jump through hoops and grovel to the vendor to get it activated again - just how blasted hard is this concept to understand.

The tax application I switched to allows me to do just that, if I don;t have the install disc for that year a quick call or email to their customer service department gets me a link to a download site that allows me to bring down the application for ANY YEAR that I used it to file tax returns. Short, fast, no stupidity on the companies part.

No I chose that path that should have been the simplest and easiest - just reinstall the application and print it again, but Quicken in their inffinite paranoid world made that the hardest path to follow. Why is this o hard to understand for you? :confused:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...