Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tax time for 2012, software or online?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,342 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Beginning in early 2012, with TurboTax 2011 tax year version, I can't use the software version at all unless I do it in a Windows XP virtual environment on my Windows 7 PC. This is all due to TurboTax's f-----g .NET Framework 4.0 issue. My .NET Framework files are all up to date, but every damn time I tried to install last year's TurboTax, and now trying to install THIS year's TurboTax, I get the same error message regarding .NET Framework 4.0, and NOTHING the Intuit people have suggested works. Hell, even their troubleshooting tips for Windows 7 PCs isn't correct. Their instructions don't match the configuration of Windows 7 systems.

Idiots.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Works fine in my Windows 7 PC with .NET 4.5.
DTV = Digital Television

#43 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I don't care. It DOESN'T work AT ALL in my Windows 7 PC with .NET 4.5.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#44 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

It smacks of not being a .NET problem but something else on your system that is screwing things up - otherwise EVERYONE's Win 7 PC would be affected.

This is one of Windows' big problems - so many things being installed and not COMPLETEL uninstalled over the years leaves a messy registry behind. And I say that having been a Windows developer for many years.

#45 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Well, a search through the TurboTax forums indicates that there are others who also are suffering this problem.

#46 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

No doubt about that. The problem is trying to figure out what combination of hardware, software and revisions produce this problem. Given the nature of the Windows beast and Windows software, that's a *tall* order. Never mind the fact that you're having to coordinate a research effort amongst {dozens|hundreds} of individuals out of possibly millions of customers for whom it worked and THAT effort has to be in support of a $50-$80 product that has no "service contract".

I don't envy your position.

#47 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,845 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I've been using TurboTax on PCs for more than 10 years without a single issue.

Basic diagnostics 101 makes one look at what is unique on a PC that would prohibit mainstream software from working.

The top 2 causes - failure to keep basic OS current and virus/firewall obstruction.

Those may/may not apply, but are often the cause.

If software works on many millions of PCs but has issues on a fraction...then owners should examine what is "nonstandard" on their setup.

I'm aware of at least 2 people who still have AOL on their PCs...which has been proven to trash PCs...so each environment warrants closer inspection before pointing fingers at mainstream software.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#48 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I've been using TT for many years. They charge extra for efiling a state return, so I print out the state return and mail it in. State refund is delayed a couple weeks, but it's always a small refund anyway.

Amazon download seems to be cheapest approach, although I haven't checked Costco yet.

I just did my taxes today using TT and I saw that there was a $20 fee for E-filing state taxes. You can pay this fee by having it deducted from your return, however there is a $30 fee for doing that. It's the first time that I have ever seen a fee being assessed in order to pay a fee.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,939 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

I just did my taxes today using TT and I saw that there was a $20 fee for E-filing state taxes. You can pay this fee by having it deducted from your return, however there is a $30 fee for doing that. It's the first time that I have ever seen a fee being assessed in order to pay a fee.

That is a new one ... so $50 for e-filing? None of that charge if you decided to print and mail it in?

As far as my taxes: Up until last year Indiana allowed free state filing online. Last year as a transition they gave out coupon codes for TurboTax and other websites. This year no extra discount (that I could find).

So this year I got to the end of my taxes online on TT and they wanted to charge me ~$15 for federal and ~$28 for state. I considered using someone else for the state portion, so I went to another website ... filled out all of their info ... ended up with the SAME results as TurboTax and paid $15.60 including e-filing. ~$15 is better than ~$43.

#50 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Why did TT even charge you to e-file for federal return? I filed mine for free.

#51 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Why did TT even charge you to e-file for federal return? I filed mine for free.

TT only allows 1040EZ free I think, and if you want to import any of your previous years stuff, they wont allow it on the free version. Make you reenter all last years data over again. I did it like you, just kept refusing the "upgrade" offers, and kept clicking on the free version. Must have asked me like 10 times. Was really annoying, but I got my return back Fed 2nd.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,939 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Yep. Itemizing due to mortgage deductions and other items that make it worthwhile to get away from the "EZ" and "A" forms.

For TurboTax the rules are:
Free federal and state online tax preparation and e-filing with TurboTax Freedom EditionSM if in tax year 2012 you meet one of the following:
* Qualify for the Earned income Tax Credit (EITC), or
* Earned $31,000 or less adjusted gross income (AGI), or
* Served Active Duty Military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military W2 and AGI of $57,000 or less.

There are other tax sites that allow more income and still let you file free.

OnLine Taxes
Visit Online Taxes to file federal and Indiana tax returns for free if: Your adjusted gross income (AGI) is between $12,050 and $57,000 regardless of age.

HR Block
Free federal and state return if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $57,000 or less and you are age 52 or younger.

TaxHawk
TaxHawk® allows you to e-file your Indiana State and Federal taxes for free if you meet the following requirements: Adjusted gross incomes of $57,000 (or less) and Age betweed 23 and 65 (on December 31, 2012)

TaxAct
Free federal and state e-filing if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $51,000 or less and you are age 18 through 57 years old.

1040NOW
Free federal and IN tax preparation and e-file if your AGI is $32,000 or less and you live in Indiana.

TaxSlayer
Taxpayers are eligible for free filing if they meet the following requirements: their Federal AGI is less than $30,000.

Source: http://www.in.gov/dor/4741.htm

Check your own state to find offers in your own area.

#53 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

TT only allows 1040EZ free I think, and if you want to import any of your previous years stuff, they wont allow it on the free version. Make you reenter all last years data over again. I did it like you, just kept refusing the "upgrade" offers, and kept clicking on the free version. Must have asked me like 10 times. Was really annoying, but I got my return back Fed 2nd.

I didn't use the EZ form and my efile was still free.

#54 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,993 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

I didn't use the EZ form and my efile was still free.

The online version does not file it until you pay the $49.99. You cannot get to the filing stage without paying. You paid what you paid up front for the software.
It is not a filing fee. It is a usage fee.

#55 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

I've used TT for years and have yet to pay for the software (and no, I don't steal it) or for filing.

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,939 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

So all your complaints in this thread were about a software you were using for free? :rolleyes:

#57 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,993 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

I've used TT for years and have yet to pay for the software (and no, I don't steal it) or for filing.

It would be a terrible business model on their part to give it to all of us for free, so please don't spread the word on the secret.

Edited by armophob, 13 February 2013 - 03:12 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

So all your complaints in this thread were about a software you were using for free? :rolleyes:

No complaints. Observations.

It would be a terrible business model on their part to give to all of us for free, so please don't spread the word on the secret.

I never do. ;)

On a related note--my refund just hit my bank account about an hour ago. Filed Sunday night, February 3rd; refund received Feb. 13th. Not bad.

#59 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

HR Block
Free federal and state return if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $57,000 or less and you are age 52 or younger.

Just e-filed with H&R block installed software, I have not seen 52 in a decade and my AGI is higher then 57,000 - no charge

#60 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Paid Accountant saves me thousands.
I never understand what they do, even when I see the forms sent to me to be signed, but their savings greatly outweigh their nominal fee.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

Protected By... spam firewall...And...