Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy adds Vizio

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

The 2 we've gotten the past year or so have been outstanding.

Glad to see more places carrying them...competition is good.

You should have seen the one I bought. Must have been around 5 years ago. From what I've seen in stores, they've improved quite a bit.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

When Vizio can compete with Panasonic, I'll listen.

That's what was sitting next to the Vizio when I got it home. What looked pretty good in a bright store looked terrible when compared to a 42" Panny plasmas. The Vizio was an LCD set.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

That's more an indication of the superiority of Plasma over LCD I would think.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

But for the average customer, there is a point of diminishing return. Is a Sharp Elite better than a Vizio? There is no doubt. Is the price difference worth it to the average consumer? Probably not. There's something like a $4500 price difference between a 60" Vizio and Sharp Elite at Best Buy.

Still have yet to see a Sharp that I'd buy. I wouldn't buy a Panny LCD either. The 8 Panny plasmas that I have are not an indication that I'm a big Panny fan, I'd happily buy another brand if I thought it was better.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

That's more an indication of the superiority of Plasma over LCD I would think.

Probably, I keep reading stories about the demise of plasmas and I think that would be a shame. Every article I read about it says the same thing: The plasmas have a better picture but the LCDs sell better. I've got enough plasmas to last me, but I'd still hate to see them disappear.

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Probably, I keep reading stories about the demise of plasmas and I think that would be a shame. Every article I read about it says the same thing: The plasmas have a better picture but the LCDs sell better. I've got enough plasmas to last me, but I'd still hate to see them disappear.

Rich

I read the same articles and have to agree. Plasmas are just so nice and I came very close to getting a 65" this year, but just could not convince myself that the 65" Panasonic plasma was worth more than double what a Mitsi 73" DLP set was. I've had both RPT and Plasma at different times and like both quite a bit.

I've not yet seen an LCD/LED that I liked with one exception, and that is the Sony XBR, but at $5200 on sale for the 65" version, I didn't give that one a 2nd thought.

BTW, just got the call from the delivery company and my 73" DLP will be here sometime on Wednesday. Now to sell my plasma... :)

Lloyd

#27 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm a big fan of Vizio's. All I have in my home and never had a problem with any of them. Geez, some people come off as if people who use vizio are low grade. I love them.
--
EDIT: Also to answer another question in the thread, My mom had a Vizio sensor go bad and they send a TV repairman to the house to fix it.

Edited by HinterXGames, 07 January 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I read the same articles and have to agree. Plasmas are just so nice and I came very close to getting a 65" this year, but just could not convince myself that the 65" Panasonic plasma was worth more than double what a Mitsi 73" DLP set was. I've had both RPT and Plasma at different times and like both quite a bit.

I've not yet seen an LCD/LED that I liked with one exception, and that is the Sony XBR, but at $5200 on sale for the 65" version, I didn't give that one a 2nd thought.

BTW, just got the call from the delivery company and my 73" DLP will be here sometime on Wednesday. Now to sell my plasma... :)

I almost bought a large Sony LCD-LED set last year, but it wasn't the same as the regular stores carry, just made for Costco and it had none of the bells and whistles that the sets sold in the regular stores had, for, what basically was the same model. Aside from that, I haven't really seen an LCD set I preferred over the Panny plasmas. Or I'd have it. Thought the Sony was overpriced, but it was still easily the best LCD I've seen. I've looked at those monstrous Sharp LCDs and I wasn't impressed. Or I'd have one.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm a big fan of Vizio's. All I have in my home and never had a problem with any of them. Geez, some people come off as if people who use vizio are low grade. I love them.

Go back five years and they were "low grade". I think.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

End of an era :)

#31 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

The policy with Vizio seems to be that instead of repairing their sets during warranty, they just replace them. I searched to see if that has changed more recently and cannot find anything that indicates that it has changed.

After warranty repairs seem to be not readily available which makes you think that you'd be foolish to buy a Vizio without an extended warranty from a 3rd party to recover at least some of the cost to replace.

That, imo, is a major fault and should be a strong point to consider.

Actually that could work in a buyer's favor. Add $150 to the cost of the TV for a 4-year plan and hope the TV fails in 3.8 years. And since it can't be fixed, you get a new TV.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#32 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

End of an era :)

Yeah I know, and that is why I bought this year. It seems odd to me that for all the blathering about hanging tvs on walls, I see very few people actually doing that. And considering that the 73" I'm getting is only 18" deep and needs just 4" behind it for cooling, I don't see the problem.

Yeah, they don't look as sleek as those ultra-thing TVs but how many times do you watch the thinness and not the picture? :lol:

I'm impatiently waiting for Wednesday's delivery. Well that and tomorrow's delivery of the 3D BluRay player and another pair of PS3 3D glasses.

Lloyd

#33 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Actually that could work in a buyer's favor. Add $150 to the cost of the TV for a 4-year plan and hope the TV fails in 3.8 years. And since it can't be fixed, you get a new TV.

It doesn't exactly work that way...

Lloyd

#34 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

The policy with Vizio seems to be that instead of repairing their sets during warranty, they just replace them. I searched to see if that has changed more recently and cannot find anything that indicates that it has changed.

After warranty repairs seem to be not readily available which makes you think that you'd be foolish to buy a Vizio without an extended warranty from a 3rd party to recover at least some of the cost to replace.

That, imo, is a major fault and should be a strong point to consider.

So how do they detemine that the set gets replaced? Do they require you to send it back on your dime or local service? I know I'd not like having to keep the box and packing material around and have a way to transport it to a shipping center in case of a failure.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#35 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

So how do they detemine that the set gets replaced? Do they require you to send it back on your dime or local service? I know I'd not like having to keep the box and packing material around and have a way to transport it to a shipping center in case of a failure.

Good questions all! I couldn't find anything that actually addressed that issue.

Edit: I stand corrected, here's the link to the warranty info directly from Vizio :
http://store.vizio.c...warrantydetails

Looks like you have to ship it to them on your dime. That's pitiful and makes it essentially a non-warranty imo.

Lloyd

#36 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Maybe BestBuy is hoping that you'll buy the Geek Squad protection plan which for 37" or larger sets would be in home service, even during the manufactures warranty period.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#37 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Rich

Agreed. I just picked up my first Panny plasma a few days before Christmas and I love it. I wish my budget would have allowed for a GT or VT, but I have a SONY Google TV Blu-ray player for Internet TV and I really don't give a toss about 3D. The U50 beckoned to me when I first saw it and it only looked better inside my home. Hate to think that my first plasma will be my last.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Agreed. I just picked up my first Panny plasma a few days before Christmas and I love it. I wish my budget would have allowed for a GT or VT, but I have a SONY Google TV Blu-ray player for Internet TV and I really don't give a toss about 3D. The U50 beckoned to me when I first saw it and it only looked better inside my home. Hate to think that my first plasma will be my last.

From what I've read, it won't be the last. The biggest problem they seem to be having is competing with the LCD sets. Now, the plasmas are actually less than LCDs of the same size and Panasonic is not making as much money on them as they used to. Panasonic is, apparently, way behind in the LCD field and their LCD sets do get poor reviews. We had one in a condo we rented last summer and I tried hooking up my 24-500 to it and the PQ was terrible. Fortunately, I brought a 42" Panny plasma with me and could compare them side by side. No comparison, the plasma is just so much better.

Rich

#39 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I remember buying my first HDTV which was 26 inch Vizio LCD in 2007 at Walmart which I still have as a second tv for a small bedroom, but honestly I like better Samsung or Panasonic products.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#40 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

I was somewhat bemused this morning when I saw the back page of the weekly Best Buy ad. There, big as life, was a picture of a Vizio big screen TV, along with a note that Best Buy now has the brand.
No more big box, club store only for Vizio. No more smug "We don't carry that brand" from sales people....

I remember when the Olympics switched timers from Bulova to Timex. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...