Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Both my HR31's have gray screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tiger Tony

Tiger Tony

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I have a Hr34 one Hr20-700 and two Hr31 clients. All was working fine until last night. Both Hr31's have "gray screen". The Hr20 and Hr34 is working fine. I tried unplugging the clients and I turned off power saving on all units. Still no picture, I can access the menu but that's it, only gray screen.

My Genie is hardwired, ethernet connected straight to the Hr34 box no cck. The tech on the phone told me that is what the problem is and says i need the wireless bridge cck to work properly. I do not think that is correct, form what I've read on this forum. Besides whole home was working great up until now.

What should I do? Schedule a tech to come out or is there a fix I can do from my end?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Geaux !!!..... LSU - Saints - Hornets

1 - HR20-700 / 1 Genie HR34 / 2 -clients
Native setting Off / 720p and 1080i
Network connected / U.S.Robotics MAXg wireless router and bridge
Slimline dish / swms
OTA antenna CM4228 in attic

Samsung HLS5687 TV 1080
Toshibia A3 HD-DVD
Sony DG800 receiver
Boston Acoustics speakers / 5-1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Start with a menu reset on the HR34, this may help the C31s reconnect with the HR34.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   Tiger Tony

Tiger Tony

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Start with a menu reset on the HR34, this may help the C31s reconnect with the HR34.

Scott, Just now did the menu reset on HR34 and it corrected teh problem. No gray screens.

Do you have any ideas what causes this problem? Is this going to be an ongoing problem?

Is the best connection the way I have it setup? With the ethernet hardwired straight to the HR34. The tech on the phone insist that it will cause problems and that I should not connect the ethernet cable direct from my wireless router to the Hr34. I trust your answer more then the CSR.
Thanks!
Geaux !!!..... LSU - Saints - Hornets

1 - HR20-700 / 1 Genie HR34 / 2 -clients
Native setting Off / 720p and 1080i
Network connected / U.S.Robotics MAXg wireless router and bridge
Slimline dish / swms
OTA antenna CM4228 in attic

Samsung HLS5687 TV 1080
Toshibia A3 HD-DVD
Sony DG800 receiver
Boston Acoustics speakers / 5-1

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

You can use the Ethernet on the HR34 as a CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) to hook your system to the Internet however that has nothing to do with how the C31's connect to your HR34. The C31's connect via your DECA setup.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

You can use the Ethernet on the HR34 as a CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) to hook your system to the Internet however that has nothing to do with how the C31's connect to your HR34. The C31's connect via your DECA setup.

Correct, my HR34 has been the bridge to the internet since day 1.

As to what causes this I don't know for sure but each FW update they get better and better.

I'm glad it worked for you!!

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#6 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

grey screen = reset genie

Unfortunetly this is causing many phone calls and service call setups for no reason.

This crap is really annoying me, i have to educate customers that there brand new system will quit working all the time and they need to reset the genie.

It would be nice to have working systems for once.....

Im now getting service calls built for bad genies......which are ending up just being that they are now slow that they have the HD gui, and the guilde doesnt smoothly scroll like a hr24 does.

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!!!!!!
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Bingo.

It would be nice to have working systems for once.....

...and yet....there are a number of us with working HR34 and C31 units that don't seem to have the problems you indicate.

No doubt further firmware updates are needed to get out remaining kinks, and they're likely pending. Still...with an entire weekend of using both units most of 3 consecutive days...no need to reboot was required.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...