Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suspend or cancel?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

After years of subscribing to both Comcast (to use with my Tivos) and DirecTV, I've decided I can no longer afford both.

The pros and cons of each are considerable.

Comcast has steadily increased its HD offerings, including recently adding FoxSoccer, BBCA, Nat Geo Wild in HD, but unfortunately it also then reduced its premium movie HD offerings to one or two for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Stars and Movie Channel. The Comcast bundle also lets me get internet, telephone and tv at a significant savings. Comcast OnDemand gives me access to lots of movies and tv shows. If I missed a Dr Who, I can find the episode on OnDemand. I can find earlier seasons of premium channel series there. And there is way more HD content available than with DirecTV's on-demand. Finally, I can use our Tivo Premiere DVRs with Comcast. TIvo Streaming has added its equivalent of DirecTV's whole home; I find the Tivo interface easier to use; and the four-tuner box buffers all four tuners, so I can switch from one to the other and see what's playing, with a buffer in case I decide to switch to that tuner. ON THE OTHER HAND, there is Comcast service that you have to deal with if there's a problem. I can't fault the individual people I deal with, but what Comcast says it charges, or says its channel offerings are both often differ with what my bill or television actually show; and the customer service people aren't much help.

DirecTV, as we all know, has the best channel offerings. Its customer service people are usually quite helpful. The DVRs have gotten better, and the HD interface is acceptable. I haven't upgrade to Genie because I didn't want to be tied to another contract extension, but it does sound like a good way to solve the problem of wanting to record multiple shows at the same time. But over the years DTV has steadily increased its pricing; so did Comcast, but the extra costs do affect the customer.

Over the years, as I've posted here a few times, when there's been a choice between watching something on the DirecTV DVR or on the Tivo, my family has just always chosen using the Tivo. We all know how to switch from one to the other, and how to use each one, but there you go - we just seem to use the one we prefer. A few months ago I downgraded from Premiere to Family plus Sports Pack and Sunday Ticket; but I've found that the only time I am actually watching the DirecTV box is for BeIN HD or Sunday Ticket. I get enough HD soccer thru Comcast that the loss of BeIN HD won't be a huge loss, but don't want to lose Sunday Ticket.

SO, to make a long - ok, too long - story short, is DirecTV likely to be willing to let me suspend my service until Sunday Ticket season rolls around again? Because that's the only thing I really need or want. It's just too expensive to keep both, or, because of the Comcast bundle, to drop Comcast and use just DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,226 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think you are allowed to suspend your account for up to six months per year but you would have to call them and ask.

Good luck and let us know what they tell you.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I think you are allowed to suspend your account for up to six months per year but you would have to call them and ask.

Good luck and let us know what they tell you.

Yup. You can suspend up to 6 months in a 12 month period. So, you could suspend for 6, be active for 6, suspend for 6, etc.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

When we were waiting for our closing back in 2010 DirecTV extended our service suspension beyond six months.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

When we were waiting for our closing back in 2010 DirecTV extended our service suspension beyond six months.

They'll make case by case exceptions. In the OP's case, they'll only do 6 month suspensions. I know a couple of people who do that for the purpose of watching Sunday Ticket.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have been wrestling with a similar issue. Might try the 6 month suspension.

Can you still watch the programs you have DVR'd during the 6 month suspension?

Edited by Stewpidity, 07 January 2013 - 06:45 PM.
question

#7 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Can you still watch the programs you have DVR'd during the 6 month suspension?

Well I can't say for 100% certainty for every HR2x model, but as long as you disconnect the receiver(s) from the dish BEFORE suspending, you can certainly do it on the HR20 series - I have 2 that continue to work just fine 5+ months later after disco'g service. :D

#8 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I had a question about suspending that may be answered. I suspended last year July-Sept while I was at my place in the mountains. I thought I read somewhere that you could only suspend once per 12 months, and that was going to be a problem when I leave in July again this year. But if it is truly up to 6 months in a 12 month period, I should be OK.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I had a question about suspending that may be answered. I suspended last year July-Sept while I was at my place in the mountains. I thought I read somewhere that you could only suspend once per 12 months, and that was going to be a problem when I leave in July again this year. But if it is truly up to 6 months in a 12 month period, I should be OK.

You should be fine. The 12 month period started when you started the suspension last July. In July of this year the 12 month period would start again.

- Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...