Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost some shows unexpectedly...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

So, I was recording the FCS Championship game on my old HR20 last night. When the game was over, I stopped the recording and kept it.

When I went back to look at my recordings, the other games I had previously recorded were gone. :( They were all titled the same, "College Football", if that makes a difference.

Bummed I lost em :( Anyone have any idea what happened? Was it something I did?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Try this and see if they come back to the screen.
Menu, Settings, Reset, Choose Restart Receiver. This will take about 10 minutes normally.

Do not do this if you are currently recording as it will stop it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just finished, no luck. :( Thanks anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Are you using an external hard drive?

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I have seen a couple of posts talking about items deleted and they did not tell it to delete them.
Howver, they did tell it to delete something instead of like you said you told it to Keep it.

Press the Info button on the remote and hold it for about 5 seconds until the system info comes to the screen. What version of software does it say you are running ?

Also, How much Free Space does it show that you have on the Hard Drive ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

The explanation as to why they were deleted may be in the History too.

#7 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Are you using an external hard drive?

Still using the original internal drive.

I have seen a couple of posts talking about items deleted and they did not tell it to delete them.
Howver, they did tell it to delete something instead of like you said you told it to Keep it.

Press the Info button on the remote and hold it for about 5 seconds until the system info comes to the screen. What version of software does it say you are running ?

Also, How much Free Space does it show that you have on the Hard Drive ?

Yeah, and it did keep my new recoding, just trashed the old ones. Software 0x62c. Free space is 43% indicating that they're gone, it was more full before.

The explanation as to why they were deleted may be in the History too.

There's a line in the history that reads:
"College Football Yesterday 12:00p Deleted"
and it says "This episode was deleted by user (1001)".

But, I think that's related to the fragment I deleted before the game started. The broadcast was delayed ~11 minutes for some basketball game that was finishing up.

It's possible maybe I deleted the entire College Football folder by mistake at that time? :nono2:

#8 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

That must've been what I did. Bummer. The history on the semifinal game from 12/12/14 says deleted by user as well.

Well, thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately I think this was all user error, but thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it. :nono:

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yep, that's a bummer. At least the mystery has been solved.

#10 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

If there's any silver lining here, it's that those recordings were most of the reason I was holding onto this HR20. Time to upgrade. :)

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

If there's any silver lining here, it's that those recordings were most of the reason I was holding onto this HR20. Time to upgrade. :)

Good work, then! You'll like the Genie.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   turkeylord

turkeylord

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, I've got some work to do on the phone this week with customer service :)

#13 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

At least your team won, so it was still a pretty good day.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

...It's possible maybe I deleted the entire College Football folder by mistake at that time? :nono2:

This argues for an "undelete" feature option. Not sure why we are still waiting for this, it doesn't take a lot of complicated code, and Tivo's had it for years. Essentially it works like a Windows Recycle bin; stuff languishes there until the drive gets full and it needs that room.

I did the same thing just last week, deleting an entire folder of Blue Bloods with 9 eps in it (good thing I double-record). I'm sitting there wondering why this delete of a single ep is taking so long, and then it dawned on me what I had done.

I was thinking of a more-complicated scenario where you record a number of programs then forget and start a SL with a "keep one ep" parameter, and 6 months later when a show comes along with that title it wipes out the rest, which I have seen people post. But it is probably the simpler thing you mentioned. Occam's Razor at work.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#15 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,871 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

That must've been what I did. Bummer. The history on the semifinal game from 12/12/14 says deleted by user as well.

Well, thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately I think this was all user error, but thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it. :nono:

I've had that happen and found the same thing in History. I did not delete those shows. Been a long time since I've seen this happen, but the HR seems to think it's the "user" when this happens.

Since the last NR came down I've had two folders deleted. Fortunately I've got a couple HRs that aren't on MRV and they had the recordings on them. The first time it happened, I lost 53 episodes of Dexter. Didn't mind that since I knew I could get them back by using On Demand. A couple days later it happened again and I found both that folder and Dexter on the two HRs I don't have on MRV. Gave me a chance to compare On Demand and regular programming on the HRs. On Demand has sync problems with the audio and video, rather annoying. Also doesn't have the same PQ as regular programming on the HRs.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...