Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade Old Gear?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I posted this over on the TiVo Community and it was suggested to me to post here as well:

Directivo satellite gear upgrade
I started another thread where I asked for help about some odd behavior by my very old DSR6000 DirecTivo DVR. Considering the ages of all my gear I'm guessing the best answer is an upgrade. I'm concerned about making a mistake by just taking the standard offer by DirectTV since I am a stickler for picture quality. I would appreciate any advice as to what I should ask for. A call to DirecTV resulted in an offer to upgrade for a net cost of $19.95 but I didn't get any receiver model numbers. Any advice regarding upgrades?
2 DirecTV receivers (1 in RV)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

DirecTV does offer an HD Tivo based DVR, the THR22. If you are adamant about staying with Tivo, that is your only option.

If you are flexible, and willing to adapt to a different GUI/user interface, I would go for the HR34 Genie, which is of course HD (if you do not currently have HD, that would be a major improvement in picture quality over anything SD). Many here have made the transition without looking back.

#3 OFFLINE   rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I am not adamant about staying with TIvo. I was told by the DTV rep that it would be $300+ to upgrade to Genie but if I just upgraded to HD then there were some special offers that would make the upgrade to Genie cheaper. I don't want to get wrapped around the axle over price and if it would be a smoother transition would be willing to pay to do it all at one time. Obviously I would be most pleased to save some money if the other way is viable.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Seems kind of counter-intuitive that you would be a stickler for PQ and still be running SD gear in this day and age. :confused:

#5 OFFLINE   rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

My Roku provides HD. You are right though. We have put off upgrading for various reasons. It is time.

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

My Roku provides HD. You are right though. We have put off upgrading for various reasons. It is time.

Your ability to upgrade is only limited by your Check book :)
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   nut4wine

nut4wine

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I was in the same boat and just called DTV yesterday and they offered a Genie, 2 clients, and a connection kit with installation for $19.95 without me even asking for it. I just said I was looking at upgrading to HD and wanted to know what it would cost.

#8 OFFLINE   rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I was in the same boat and just called DTV yesterday and they offered a Genie, 2 clients, and a connection kit with installation for $19.95 without me even asking for it. I just said I was looking at upgrading to HD and wanted to know what it would cost.

Good grief. I guess I'll just call again.

#9 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,103 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Good grief. I guess I'll just call again.

That's the way to go. Keep calling and sooner or later you'll get someone who will give you a similar offer. Remain polite and persistent, the CSRs are more likely to appreciate that. If all else fails, ask to be transferred to Retention.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

That's the way to go. Keep calling and sooner or later you'll get someone who will give you a similar offer. Remain polite and persistent, the CSRs are more likely to appreciate that. If all else fails, ask to be transferred to Retention.

Rich

I'll do that. I make it a point when dealing with CSRs to always be very polite and considerate. I just am not comfortable with any other way. So, I will start working this tomorrow.

#11 OFFLINE   rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

The third call was the charm. My second call was progressing well when we were cut off. I called back and started over. I chose "cancellation" from the initial menu and "cancellation not as a result of a move". After an initial offer of HD receivers, not the HR34, I just said, "AT&T is offering me their UVerse package plus a $100 giftncard. I'd much rather stay with DTV. What can you do for me?" First they offered me the regular HD receivers. I said that i really wanted the HR34 and that would make me stay with DTV. They then offered me the HR34, Genie, plus two receivers for $19.95. They also included some slight changes in my programming to drop my monthly charge enough to compensate for the increase in monthly charged.

I would never have been able to get this deal without your help. Thank you everyone very much.

#12 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,103 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'll do that. I make it a point when dealing with CSRs to always be very polite and considerate. I just am not comfortable with any other way. So, I will start working this tomorrow.

Good luck. I don't envy what you're gonna go thru, but you'll get what you wanted. Just gotta play the game.

Rich

#13 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,103 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

The third call was the charm. My second call was progressing well when we were cut off. I called back and started over. I chose "cancellation" from the initial menu and "cancellation not as a result of a move". After an initial offer of HD receivers, not the HR34, I just said, "AT&T is offering me their UVerse package plus a $100 giftncard. I'd much rather stay with DTV. What can you do for me?" First they offered me the regular HD receivers. I said that i really wanted the HR34 and that would make me stay with DTV. They then offered me the HR34, Genie, plus two receivers for $19.95. They also included some slight changes in my programming to drop my monthly charge enough to compensate for the increase in monthly charged.

I would never have been able to get this deal without your help. Thank you everyone very much.

I posted my last message without reading your post. Glad you got what you wanted, I am.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...