Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV to Present at Citi's Global Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sorry, no other major announcements or news.

The planning on spending more for existing customers sounds cool. The tease of a new, lower cost Genie box has to be interesting for us. :)

And on any talks of merger, Mike White basically said, "sure it might save based on some synergies, but that is a long way from actually even discussing such." Large hurdles to cross. Plus the effect of a new anti-monopoly chief in the FCC(?) I did not hear anything that indicated Mike White was pursuing any form of merger talks.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Looking forward to this.

The genie at 1/3 cost that is.

Remember, this is an investors conference. The costs mentioned are to DIRECTV, not necessarily to the end customer. At least not initially. Especially as each new box has the initial costs of new software, verifications, etc. So yes, it is great news in the long run. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#23 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

In listening to the replay, Mike mentioned that some ownership in RSN gives them a great insight into their operation and costs for strategic advantage while in negotiations.

"In some areas of the country, RSNs are $4-5 of the bill...in some more metropolitan areas it can be as much as $18-20." Might try some very "laser focused, geographically" cost surcharges for RSNs if needed. They are watching how the market is playing out as one competitor is already doing some surcharging in areas.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#24 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I like the every two years new boxes for PP customers. I wonder if that's retroactive? Maybe an upgrade fee from a HR 20 to a HR 34/44?

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

At least we know now that Texas really was a pilot.

#26 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I like the every two years new boxes for PP customers. I wonder if that's retroactive? Maybe an upgrade fee from a HR 20 to a HR 34/44?

Alas it was just a quick sidenote, an example of things they will try for good customers. So I don't have any more details to report.

Now, the lower box costs to DIRECTV on the newer generation of Genie should make it more likely that upgrades can be done. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#27 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Alas it was just a quick sidenote, an example of things they will try for good customers. So I don't have any more details to report.

Now, the lower box costs to DIRECTV on the newer generation of Genie should make it more likely that upgrades can be done. :)

Peace,
Tom

Some is better than none for existing, especially long term, customers who haven't upgraded much if at all.

Might motivate a family with SD boxes to upgrade if it's free or very very cheap.

DOWN WITH MPEG2!!!

#28 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Some is better than none for existing, especially long term, customers who haven't upgraded much if at all.

Might motivate a family with SD boxes to upgrade if it's free or very very cheap.

DOWN WITH MPEG2!!!

Yup, yup, and yup. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#29 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hey Tom, thanks for the info. Was tied up and couldn't listen, but your notes were great.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#30 OFFLINE   ErrorNXcellence

ErrorNXcellence

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Did he talk in the conference about training there techs at the call center about 60% have know idea on how to troubleshoot the products they come out with like the hr34 and c31 and c38(soon) that is the is reason for call volume got to train the people in front lines

#31 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Did he talk in the conference about training there techs at the call center about 60% have know idea on how to troubleshoot the products they come out with like the hr34 and c31 and c38(soon) that is the is reason for call volume got to train the people in front lines

He did talk about the pressure to expand IT services and call center staffing as the customer base grows. He mentioned something that I took to mean even more intelligent scripting that can assist the agents, especially the new ones. That was how they plan on reducing the number of calls by 20M per year.

So while I don't think he particularly addressed your question directly, I do think he indirectly hinted that they are motivated to reduce costs by getting it right the first time.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#32 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I believe new Genie was 1/3 off the cost - not 1/3 cost.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#33 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Tom!
Always appreciate someone doing this:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#34 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Sorry but not impressed by having to pay to "protect" their equipment so I can get new equipment periodically. I have a real hard spot about paying to protect their property (basically paying their insurance) and if I don't and something goes wrong I get to pay them to come out to fix their equipment so I can get the service I am paying them for...anyone else see a problem with this?

I recently moved and the new install (brand new house) SWiM 16 had one of the two branches fail (channels 1-8) causing a loss of signal to two of my five receivers (unfortunately my primary HR34 in the livingroom was one of them). Once I had fully troubleshot myself and determined it was the SWiM, I called and of course had to go through all the T/S steps for them to say...yes, it was likely the SWiM and that I would have to pay them $49 to come out and fix their equipment unless I was willing to sign on to their PP at which point it would only be $24. Of course I reminded them that my install was just barely 2 months old at which point she apologized and said it would be free...however, the bad taste is already there related to having to pay to fix THEIR equipment. I WILL NOT pay for PP and if another failure of their equipment occurs and they try and force me to pay to fix it....I will be cutting the cord. Sorry if this is a rant (which I know it is) but can someone please try and explain why I should have to pay to fix their equipment?

At least if I am paying a protection plan for my cell phone I am covering MY equipment.
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#35 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Not trying to spin it, but u do in fact own the dish and wiring. Its given to u. And its only $20 to send an replacement receiver.

As for the protection plan I think its awesome that u get an upgrade every 2 yrs. That's basically pudding. So if u look it like a 2 year payment plan to get a new box and free insurance it sounds much better in my opinion. Besides Msrp on an hd/dvr is $199 and $49 to install.

I dunno man I just wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Besides u can always haggle with cust care lol.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#36 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Sorry but not impressed by having to pay to "protect" their equipment so I can get new equipment periodically. I have a real hard spot about paying to protect their property (basically paying their insurance) and if I don't and something goes wrong I get to pay them to come out to fix their equipment so I can get the service I am paying them for...anyone else see a problem with this?

The protection plan covers equipment out of waranty. Samsung isn't going to fix your television out of waranty, much less any other company without extended protection. It's not quite the same thing, but comparable.

#37 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

At least if I am paying a protection plan for my cell phone I am covering MY equipment.

If you're under a cell phone contract, you don't own the phone until the contract is fulfilled.

DirecTV is similar, except that you never expect to own the equipment...but I have three or four deactivated receivers that they did not want back, so I suppose I own them...

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Now I wish I hadn't cancelled the plan (in case the one year criteria doesn't start with the new features.)

I've added it back on my account. Should have kept it anyway since I do have an owned box.

#39 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

If you're under a cell phone contract, you don't own the phone until the contract is fulfilled.

Or you pay the ETF.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#40 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

A new DVR every 2 years - great!
Losing all your currently recorded shows - very bad :(

D* really needs a way to xfer recordings if a new box is in order.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...