Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV to Present at Citi's Global Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

A new DVR every 2 years - great!
Losing all your currently recorded shows - very bad :(

D* really needs a way to xfer recordings if a new box is in order.

Someone who know more about anti piracy can correct me here, but i understood it was more to stop piracy than anything. Recordings are encrypted and "married" to the recorder that recorded them.

Or its just more hassle than its worth to them lol

Edited by brett_the_bomb, 09 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.
spelling

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I never understood the need for keeping recordings for that long. The purpose of a DVR was never long-term archiving.
DTV = Digital Television

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I never understood the need for keeping recordings for that long. The purpose of a DVR was never long-term archiving.

Perhaps in your opinion, but I've still got some old VHS tapes in my library (though not much longer.) My purpose for having a DVR replace my VHS machine is to keep an online library of shows and movies I like to watch multiple times.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#44 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Perhaps in your opinion, but I've still got some old VHS tapes in my library (though not much longer.) My purpose for having a DVR replace my VHS machine is to keep an online library of shows and movies I like to watch multiple times.

Peace,
Tom

I am saying that I don't believe that was the intended purpose, rather than your own purpose. If you use it for archiving purposes and that wasn't its intended use...that's on you. Seems silly to complain about losing your archives on a device intended for short-term recording rather than long-term archiving.
DTV = Digital Television

#45 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I am saying that I don't believe that was the intended purpose, rather than your own purpose. If you use it for archiving purposes and that wasn't its intended use...that's on you. Seems silly to complain about losing your archives on a device intended for short-term recording rather than long-term archiving.

But you see, that is still your opinion. One that doesn't seem to be shared by the users or the current manufacturers as the users keep asking for and the manufacturers keep adding more and more storage space.

For short term needs, most people probably don't need 1TB--in my opinion. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

But you see, that is still your opinion. One that doesn't seem to be shared by the users or the current manufacturers as the users keep asking for and the manufacturers keep adding more and more storage space.

For short term needs, most people probably don't need 1TB--in my opinion. :)

Peace,
Tom

In your opinion.
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

To each their own. I prefer to save some things.

My DVR's manual doesn't say "This is not for long-term storage, it is for short-term storage only".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

The protection plan replacement of equipment every 2 years thing. How do they guarantee the newest equipment when they can't do it now. You can't be guaranteed a hr24 over a hr21 and is this the standard pp plan or the expanded one.

#49 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

For me it's not about long term storage really, it's just putting over about a week's worth of stuff maybe, and the series links.

#50 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

To each their own. I prefer to save some things.

My DVR's manual doesn't say "This is not for long-term storage, it is for short-term storage only".

!rolling

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

The point is that when you're capable of having 1TB (200+ HD) of DVR storage, when you do an upgrade, there may certainly be content that you want moved to the new DVR.

Allowing DVR to DVR transfers, within the same account, on current firmware, would be a significant benefit.

1TB certainly isn't needed if you watch everything that you record each week. :)
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

The point is that when you're capable of having 1TB (200+ HD) of DVR storage, when you do an upgrade, there may certainly be content that you want moved to the new DVR.

Allowing DVR to DVR transfers, within the same account, on current firmware, would be a significant benefit.

1TB certainly isn't needed if you watch everything that you record each week. :)

I'm referring (for the most part) to people who archive content for years and, in some cases, complete multi-year series. It's like digital hoarding. They then whine when they cannot keep that content in permanent stasis for future collectors to drool over. These are not normal users. The intended purpose of a DVR is to allow people to pause and/or record reasonable amounts of content for reasonable periods of time. While "reasonable" is a broad term...it ain't that broad. Not the Library of Congress level of archiving that some people favor. Not a permanent collection.

Although I am taking about the extremists for the most part, I also don't understand the level of angst over lost recordings. Unless it was a program/event you had a direct involvement in, is it really that important? Regardless, you have other means of obtaining just about anything you can record with a DVR that might be more suitable for archiving purposes. If it is that important, you will.

I have gone through many DVR's. I lost recordings each time. None of it was irreplaceable.
DTV = Digital Television

#53 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm referring (for the most part) to people who archive content for years and, in some cases, complete multi-year series. It's like digital hoarding. They then whine when they cannot keep that content in permanent stasis for future collectors to drool over. These are not normal users. The intended purpose of a DVR is to allow people to pause and/or record reasonable amounts of content for reasonable periods of time. While "reasonable" is a broad term...it ain't that broad. Not the Library of Congress level of archiving that some people favor. Not a permanent collection.

Although I am taking about the extremists for the most part, I also don't understand the level of angst over lost recordings. Unless it was a program/event you had a direct involvement in, is it really that important? Regardless, you have other means of obtaining just about anything you can record with a DVR that might be more suitable for archiving purposes. If it is that important, you will.

I have gone through many DVR's. I lost recordings each time. None of it was irreplaceable.

Hi, gotcha, but still trying to understand your point.

So if someone records whole series, and saves stuff, that's bad?

If a DVR fails, well, then it fails, stuff happens, and there are raid solutions, but allowing content to be copied from one DVR to another would be a cool feature if one was looking to enhance the TV provider experience. Or get really cool and allow USB flash drive backup and restore, all encrypted with DRM protection, on the same account. We're talking high-end stuff, and they may decide that it's not worth the investment, but when monthly fees for some of us is approaching $200/mo, high-end features would be nice once in a while.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi, gotcha, but still trying to understand your point.

So if someone records whole series, and saves stuff, that's bad?

If a DVR fails, well, then it fails, stuff happens, and there are raid solutions, but allowing content to be copied from one DVR to another would be a cool feature if one was looking to enhance the TV provider experience. Or get really cool and allow USB flash drive backup and restore, all encrypted with DRM protection, on the same account. We're talking high-end stuff, and they may decide that it's not worth the investment, but when monthly fees for some of us is approaching $200/mo, high-end features would be nice once in a while.

Using a DRV to archive an entire multi-year series...is ridiculous. A season? Okay. Eight seasons of House? A bit nutty. Most series are offered in formats that are more conducive to that endeavor. My point is that using a DVR outside if its intended use and then complaining about an issue that interferes with your use of that device for something other than its intended use...is also ridiculous.
DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

i would love to be able to put my high school's first state championship on a flash drive from my dvr which i have kept on there since it aired on december 1 2011
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#56 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

i would love to be able to put my high school's first state championship on a flash drive from my dvr which i have kept on there since it aired on december 1 2011

Same here. I have a couple of recordings with personal value and would love to save those recordings from DVR to DVR.

#57 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

... My point is that using a DVR outside of its intended use ...

Well, I'll let others fight the good fight, but the comment above does sound weird to me, especially when the storage space is 1TB.

People use their iPhone as a cash register with the Square device. I'm not going to tell them that it's a phone. :)

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

If someone truly has personal recordings that are near and dear enough...they will get a more permanent copy though other means knowing that the copy on their DRV goes with the device. Unless it isn't worth the effort of course.
DTV = Digital Television

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Well, I'll let others fight the good fight, but the comment above does sound weird to me, especially when the storage space is 1TB.

1TB isn't very big these days. Choosing to ignore the intended use of a DVR due solely to HDD size sounds "weird" to me.

People use their iPhone as a cash register with the Square device. I'm not going to tell them that it's a phone. :)

I would hope not since the Square device is what is being used for its intended purpose.
DTV = Digital Television

#60 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

If someone truly has personal recordings that are near and dear enough...they will get a more permanent copy though other means knowing that the copy on their DRV goes with the device. Unless it isn't worth the effort of course.

But it's not as convenient.

If there will be an easy path to upgrade technology every two years via the protection plan, then it absolutely makes sense to allow recordings to be transfered from old DVR to new DVR. Now it may get decided that it's a high-end feature and will not be developed, but it's certainly a good idea, and would certainly be used/loved by some, especially TV enthusiasts, who may also be the same people that want to upgrade every two years.

For me personally, I always want the latest device, whether it be my DVR or my phone (& tablet). Life is too short, and it's all relatively inexpensive with it only being a few hundred bucks every couple of years, thus allowing transfer would be great. I certainly wouldn't downplay it's usefulness, it would be used, similar to the backup/restore that I do with the iPhone once a year when upgrading.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...