Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV to Present at Citi's Global Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

But it's not as convenient.

Less convenient than using a device outside of its intended purpose and losing that content? It isn't an archiving device.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I just like stuff online and easily accessible. I've moved away from all physical media long ago, can't remember the last time that I touched a CD/DVD, and don't have a Blu-Ray player.

So to close this out, your point is that DirecTV should not enable a feature to allow movement of content from one DVR to another DVR because content should not be kept for long periods of time?

Edited by Sixto, 10 January 2013 - 12:15 AM.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#63 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

I just like stuff online and easily accessible. I've moved away from all physical media long ago, can't remember the last time I touched a CD/DVD.

So to close this out, your point is that DirecTV should not enable a feature to allow movement of content from one DVR to another DVR because content should not be kept for long periods of time?

I never said they shouldn't enable such a feature. I said that long-term archivers (digital hoarders) or those with personal attachments to particular content should know better.

What do you use for high quality content without one? Streaming? Lossy audio and low bitrate, overly compressed video? Yikes...

Edited by Hoosier205, 10 January 2013 - 12:16 AM.

DTV = Digital Television

#64 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I never said they shouldn't enable such a feature. I said that long-term archivers (digital hoarders) or those with personal attachments to particular content should know better.

It's Blu-ray, not Blue-ray. What do you use for high quality content without one? Streaming? Lossy audio and low bitrate, overly compressed video? Yikes...

Yep, fixed the typo.

DirecTV 1080p VOD, but usually wait for movies to hit the premiums and DVR them. Have DirecTV Premier, also have Apple TV. Been very happy.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#65 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Out side of this arguement it would still be nice to start a new receiver where the old one left off. Series links included.

The protection plan upgrade path as I under stand has no model distinction but rather as dtv always has, consider upgrades to be additional or upgraded features SD to a dvr or hd to dvr etc. But as always I think to dtv an hd/dvr is any hr2x. So I would not be surprised when calling for said upgrade to be told your getting an hd/dvr and nothing more specific than that.... but that's just what I expect given my experience.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#66 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Out side of this arguement it would still be nice to start a new receiver where the old one left off. Series links included.

The protection plan upgrade path as I under stand has no model distinction but rather as dtv always has, consider upgrades to be additional or upgraded features SD to a dvr or hd to dvr etc. But as always I think to dtv an hd/dvr is any hr2x. So I would not be surprised when calling for said upgrade to be told your getting an hd/dvr and nothing more specific than that.... but that's just what I expect given my experience.

Yep, backup/restore settings to/from the cloud near the top of the wishlist.

And it will be interesting to see how the upgrades work, I'd never allow an upgrade to something older, I'd rather do something from Solid Signal if I had to. I do have the protection plan.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yep, fixed the typo.

DirecTV 1080p VOD mostly, or wait for movies to hit the premiums and DVR them. Also have Apple TV. Been very happy.

That's a shame. I hope you didn't invest too much in your other equipment then.
DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

That's a shame. I hope you didn't invest too much in your other equipment then.

Well, I'll end the night where Tom did, many posts ago, we all have our opinions. :)

Take care ...

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Well, I'll end the night where Tom did, many posts ago, we all have our opinions. :)

Take care ...

It's not a matter of opinion, but you're welcome to assume that it is.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Choosing to ignore the intended use of a DVR due solely to HDD size sounds "weird" to me.

And who are you to declare what its intended use is? Did you invent it?

If it wasn't designed for long term storage then why is "Keep until I delete" an option? Seems pretty long term to me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#71 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Using a DRV to archive an entire multi-year series...is ridiculous. A season? Okay. Eight seasons of House? A bit nutty. Most series are offered in formats that are more conducive to that endeavor. My point is that using a DVR outside if its intended use and then complaining about an issue that interferes with your use of that device for something other than its intended use...is also ridiculous.

I know someone on Dish, and when I was watching one of the last seasons of Lost, I found that they had the entire series to that point saved, and hadn't watched it yet. I told him they really needed to start watching, and he quickly interrupted me and said "no spoliers". At that point I had to say "The plane crashes."

But when DirecTV allows you to set up a 20TB RAID array, and their box is still a single point of failure, a change is needed.

#72 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

I know someone on Dish, and when I was watching one of the last seasons of Lost, I found that they had the entire series to that point saved, and hadn't watched it yet. I told him they really needed to start watching, and he quickly interrupted me and said "no spoliers". At that point I had to say "The plane crashes."

But when DirecTV allows you to set up a 20TB RAID array, and their box is still a single point of failure, a change is needed.

Does any one know if any company does allow recordings to be transferred or backed up or is directv alone in this?

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#73 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Dish allows offloading of shows to external, can be played on any box on the account.

Actually, I think at one point they had some regular receivers that you could add an external drive, pay a one time fee, and voila, it was a DVR.

#74 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

1TB isn't very big these days. Choosing to ignore the intended use of a DVR due solely to HDD size sounds "weird" to me.

I would hope not since the Square device is what is being used for its intended purpose.

Choosing to ignore that D* is proposing a scheduled receiver swap, which could possibly have nothing to do with archiving (i.e. what happens to current content recorded the night before?), sounds like "you're trolling again" to me.

#75 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I don't think we can call it a scheduled receiver swap. It would be an option for the user to exercise, and I'm not familiar enough with how it works in Texas to know if it's going to make much difference.

Someone with say an HR22, what will exercising their plan benefit get them? A guaranteed 24, cheap upgrade to a 34 or any refurb that is luck of the draw (like an HR21)? Would a 34 user be guaranteed a 44? etc.

It might be more like free upgrade from a receiver to DVR etc.

#76 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I get your point. However, between these swaps (scheduled or not), receiver additions, and outright failures (bad disk, etc), this feature is needed!

Oh, and further to Hoosier's silly point - I have a "personal attachment to particular content" on my DVR until its viewed, whether that's hours or months old. What a silly argument.

#77 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

The protection plan replacement of equipment every 2 years thing. How do they guarantee the newest equipment when they can't do it now. You can't be guaranteed a hr24 over a hr21 and is this the standard pp plan or the expanded one.

It's a guaranteed free upgrade not an update. As was said in another post, the upgrade option is to take a lesser receiver and upgrade to a better receiver type, not a newer model. If you have 3 HD DVR's than the only real upgrade for that system is to move to the Genie, not a newer HD DVR. They will not be model specific though if you order the Genie, you get the HR34. I'll be curious to see if they can guarantee the HR44 over the HR34 when it launches, though I highly doubt it.

#78 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Well dam that's a disappointment. I thought it was old receiver change out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...