Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Snow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   georgewells

georgewells

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHayden,Idaho

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

If I place a plastic Trash Bag over my dish to help deflect Snow will it still operate ok ??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

If I place a plastic Trash Bag over my dish to help deflect Snow will it still operate ok ??

The bad shouldn't be much of a problem, but if the snow sticks to it, you'll have the same problem.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Some folks spray their dishes with PAM or other no-stick sprays and have good luck. If you have an accumulation, a super-soaker with hot water will clear it. If you're in real snow country, a dish heater is worth it and will keep your dish clear in all but the worst weather (assuming the snow doesn't exceed the level of your dish and completely cover it).

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

If the thick plastic cover on the LNBF doesn't slow down the RF, then a 2-mil plastic bag should be fine. Not exactly elegant, but actually not a bad idea. Just don't use one of those metalized "mirrored" varieties. You probably want to use a white one and take it off before summer heat melts it to the dish.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Snow: A four letter word meaning more work.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

The dish will work until it snows, then you'll be right back where you started. The snow will stick to the plastic bag -- I've tried that myself. The problem is that you have to make that bag really tight for it to work, and then you end up with holes in the bag or the bag becoming loose in strong winds.

You can have quite a bit of light snow on the dish and not have problems. This kind of snow will also melt or blow away on its own. It's just the slushy snow and ice that'll give you problems. If your dish is within reach you'll have to brush it off or pour hot water on it maybe once a year. It may not be worth doing anything with the dish. I'd just wait and see.

I've had success with a light coating of silicone spray (NOT PAM) applied in the late fall.

#7 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Yep have had 21 inches of snow in a blizzard and never lost signal. It's those wet/sticky snows and I bet they'd stick to a plastic bag. Spray slicone in the way to go.
HR20-700
HR21-700

#8 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I tried pam and silicone spray but I finally solved the problem with snow when I installed a Hot Shot dish heater. The picture shows the heater stuck to the front of the dish. I installed it on the back of the dish and have had no problems with snow in over 4 years.

http://www.cyberesto...cal-dishes.html

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,741 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Yep have had 21 inches of snow in a blizzard and never lost signal. It's those wet/sticky snows and I bet they'd stick to a plastic bag. Spray silicone in the way to go.

Yep, it is waste of time.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

wet, sticky= no joy
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#11 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I've only had one snowstorm during my short time as a satellite customer, but it sure seems like the moisture content makes a difference. Or maybe it was more a function of the moisture content of the clouds overhead rather than what had accumulated on the dish. Or both.

As that storm began, light rain transitioned to snow. Within a couple inches of accumulation (as seen on nearby flat surfaces), the satellite signal was lost. I wasn't quite home yet, and was irritated to get this report from my wife. Okay, great, is that all it takes for signal fade? I'm new here.

So, upon arriving home, I gently brushed off the dish and restored the signal. A couple more times that evening, I brushed it off preemptively, before it actually cut out, in order to "stay ahead" of it. It was snowing hard at times, including some "thundersnow."

I went to bed thinking surely it will accumulate too much overnight to maintain a signal, but somehow, it worked fine in the morning despite having more snow on the dish than anytime earlier in the storm. Overall, the storm was about 14".

That led me to believe the dish is more vulnerable to wet, heavier snow than drier snow, even if drier snow is allowed to accumulate more.

Now if an official ice storm was forecast, would there be a benefit to temporarily covering the dish and LNB in a plastic bag? Maybe. The ice would probably still form to the shape of those objects, but if you could reach up into the bag, it would be easy to break up that ice rather than trying to get it off of the metal objects.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#12 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

I started putting up my own dish when I first went with Directv. The newer dishes were put up by Directv in the same place and I wanted them in an area where I could easily brush off any snow - which has only happened twice since 96' here in the Colorado foothills. I think the overhang of the roof helps protect the dish too. I shot this pic as I was clearing out some trees back there
Posted Image

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

20140423_090700_zps7jf13ohp.jpg

spam firewall