Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Potential new DTV Customer - SS # needed?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SoCalWJS

SoCalWJS

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I couldn't find a better place, so I hope this is OK.

I was visiting friends yesterday, and they mentioned they were thinking about switching back to DirecTV after being with a different provider for a couple of years. They called and spoke to somebody and said that they would need to provide their Social Security # so a credit check could be performed.

:confused:

Friend said no, I have a valid CC, but were again told that DirecTV needed the SS #. Asked to speak to a Supervisor who told them the same thing.

Friend said forget it - we don't give out SS #, and decided to look into further options.

I'm the same way. Why does DirecTV need that info? Is there a way around this? (and what is it about companies wanting more than CC info to do purchases these days? - I've been using PayPal for quite awhile now with CC on file and no problems - now I'm at some threshold $ amount and they want my bank account # - not going to happen)

Don't these companies understand that Identity Theft/Fraud is a HUGE and fast growing problem, and that if anybody gets your SS # (that has bad intentions) you are in BIG trouble

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

They do a credit check, since you're leasing equipment. I do think it is still possible to get service without it, but you have to pay a large deposit. At one point it was around $300, and you were credited back a small amount per month.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

:welcome_s to DBSTALK!

First let me reassure you that what you're posting is, in fact valid DIRECTV procedure. Credit checks are used to determine whether or not you qualify for free or reduced-price equipment. DIRECTV does have a program for those who choose not to submit to a credit check or who fail a credit check. The upfront cost is higher.

Obviously security and identity theft is a massive problem in this country and it's hard to know who to trust. If you choose to order through the web site, it goes through fewer human eyes.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   SoCalWJS

SoCalWJS

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the responses - I'll pass along the info. See if they're willing to do it online (I'm reasonably comfortable with a secure server. The human factor? - different story these days I'm sorry to say)

Also, thanks for the welcome Stuart! Actually a prior member, but it's been so long since I was here last (at least logged in - snoop around periodically) that I've switched computers and have no clue what name I used to use here - decided it was just easier to create a whole new identity. :o

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Rule of Thumb is if you called them and they asked for "personal Info" to do credit check -then all should be above board,

Now if you answer a call and they ask for "Personal Info" Then the alarm bells should go off and HANG UP!!
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

It's funny. Someone I work with (and in her 30s) doesn't trust Amazon with her credit card so doesn't shop online. I asked her if she always paid cash at restaurants, she uses a credit card but never considered you never know what a waiter does with the card when they go to the back for a few minutes.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people are honest and do what they are supposed to do. But, I know all too well what that one careless or bad person can do. With issues like at Barnes and Noble point of sale machines, etc it's becoming harder and harder. Plus our SSN's seem to be everywhere.

#7 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Directv does not need your SS # if you meet certain criteria.

They do not have mine.

Has mostly to do with current address, ive been at mine for 7 years.

Passed credit check and what not with no SS #

Have built many accounts without it as well, no problems.
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#8 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Directv does not need your SS # if you meet certain criteria.

They do not have mine.

Has mostly to do with current address, ive been at mine for 7 years.

Passed credit check and what not with no SS #

Have built many accounts without it as well, no problems.

As usual.... misinformation...new security procedures require SSN and its a credit "tap" not a full check that will ding your rating....current address matters naught....
p.s. EVERY utility I have has mine and my spouses SSN...just sayin
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#9 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Well, whatever credit check they did apparently had no problem offering me service, despite the fact that my only credit card is Secured and i maintain a balance of $200.

#10 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

As usual.... misinformation...new security procedures require SSN and its a credit "tap" not a full check that will ding your rating....current address matters naught....
p.s. EVERY utility I have has mine and my spouses SSN...just sayin

Hmm, too bad your wrong in this case. I just setup my account without SS#

I have also tried running accounts without it for people that had just moved. It never works.

Maybe you should find out info before posting what you "think" you know.

I have NO utilities that were setup with any SS#'s
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#11 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

I couldn't find a better place, so I hope this is OK.

I was visiting friends yesterday, and they mentioned they were thinking about switching back to DirecTV after being with a different provider for a couple of years. They called and spoke to somebody and said that they would need to provide their Social Security # so a credit check could be performed.

:confused:

Friend said no, I have a valid CC, but were again told that DirecTV needed the SS #. Asked to speak to a Supervisor who told them the same thing.

Friend said forget it - we don't give out SS #, and decided to look into further options.

I'm the same way. Why does DirecTV need that info? Is there a way around this? (and what is it about companies wanting more than CC info to do purchases these days? - I've been using PayPal for quite awhile now with CC on file and no problems - now I'm at some threshold $ amount and they want my bank account # - not going to happen)

Don't these companies understand that Identity Theft/Fraud is a HUGE and fast growing problem, and that if anybody gets your SS # (that has bad intentions) you are in BIG trouble

In California, all you have to do is prepay for the first month and provide your driver's license number. Then no SSN number needed. It's the law in California. Ask to speak to a supervisor if the CSR doesn't know that or conveniently forgets to mention it.
(Edit: I know I both read this and saw it on the news, but for the the life of me I cannot find the link to support that statement.)

They CAN do a credit check without it, but it's a big PITA for them, so D* tells their customers it's required.

Not only that, but some people simply do not have one. Foreign students, for example.

Edited by bobcamp1, 18 January 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

This may or may not apply to DirecTV. I just signed up with Dish and had to provide only the last 4 digits of my SSN. This was through a local retailer. If you sign up with Dish on the Internet, they want the whole thing.

#13 OFFLINE   pistolpete52

pistolpete52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

If you look at what an SS # is, it is basically an insurance policy, and is NOT to be used for identifiable purposes. So, if you got turned down for service because you wouldn't release this info, you did the right thing.

Releasing your SSN puts you in jeopardy of having your identity stolen.

#14 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hmm, too bad your wrong in this case. I just setup my account without SS#

I have also tried running accounts without it for people that had just moved. It never works.

Maybe you should find out info before posting what you "think" you know.

I have NO utilities that were setup with any SS#'s

Dont "think" I know anything...pretty sure of myself as I do this 40 hours a week
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#15 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

My rule about giving SSN and checking debit numbers is if they call me i just give a few four letter words and hang up,if i call them i usually give them what they want,i don't feel comfortable about it but i have Life lock and every day i check my pending transactions in my online banking,i have been burnt in the past.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

If you look at what an SS # is, it is basically an insurance policy, and is NOT to be used for identifiable purposes. So, if you got turned down for service because you wouldn't release this info, you did the right thing.

That was the original design, but not what it is in practice.

#17 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I dont know if it was just the call center I worked at or if it was this way for all/most of them but.. It would have been pretty darn difficult for me to pull off writing down a customers personal info (CC and SS #) without getting caught in the process.

Thats assuming I would even be willing to put my job on the line doing that, during training they reinforce the fact that you will be fired on the spot if your caught trying to jot down customer info.
The call center I worked at didnt let us take in any notebooks and having electronics out whilst on calls would be an automatic final warning if you got caught.. I know its risky to hand out your info to strangers over the phone but D* and E* arent naive either and do there best to scare there employees into doing the right thing lol.

#18 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

My rule about giving SSN and checking debit numbers is if they call me i just give a few four letter words and hang up,if i call them i usually give them what they want,i don't feel comfortable about it but i have Life lock and every day i check my pending transactions in my online banking,i have been burnt in the past.

IIRC the owner of Lifelock has had his identity stolen a handful of times lol, I wouldnt put complete trust in them xD

#19 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Am I reading the bold text wrong or does one line contradict the other? I could just be missing the point I guess.

spam firewall