Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D* Ending HotPass

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

It just was not that fun to watch really

It was the first year, when we actually paid for it. It wasn't censored and the coverage was pretty good. At least it was good on the other 3 channels, never watched JR to find out about the 4th channel. :lol:

What sucks far more than losing HotPass is losing Inside NASCAR on Showtime.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   fredw007

fredw007

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

This realy sucks! Hotpass was the reason I switched from Dish.

#23 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Other than when the races were on ABC and they used the MRN/PRN audio, I always watched the race via Hotpass. As a Jr. fan, I found it more interesting to be able to follow my main driver but also be able to see the regular network broadcast at the same time. Even the ABC races would have been ok if the radio broadcast was synced up better with the video feed.

I guess we should have seen something coming back when D* dropped the SD feeds of HotPass. That didn't affect me, but probably did affect a ton of others out there.

Oh well, it sucks, but not a thing we can do about it. It was one of the things on my list that made D* the best choice though.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

It obviously wasn't worth the cost. I can't blame them for that.
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

1 - NASCAR is in a tremendous decline. Self-inflicted.

2 - The package didn't really add that much to the viewer's experence.

3 - I expect we will see this bubble up on a website for a small fee. People already uplink the driver to crew radio (which is in the public domain).

#26 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Well now that NASCAR finally owns NASCAR.com (Turner owned and operated it until January 1st) perhaps we'll see some things finally become available via mobile apps. It won't be free but I'd be OK worth paying for RaceView for a tablet.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Well now that NASCAR finally owns NASCAR.com (Turner owned and operated it until January 1st) perhaps we'll see some things finally become available via mobile apps. It won't be free but I'd be OK worth paying for RaceView for a tablet.

Sprint has exclusivity on apps.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Completely and totally false. No other provider even comes close.

Umh. yes they do.
I was in Maui for the Holidays watching Oceanic Time Warner, and it had more sports channels (other than the RSNs) in HD than D* for only $5.99 a month. That includes the PAC 12 Net, Fox Soccer +, the Red Zone Channel, and every HD sports pack channel that D* carries. It does also carry the three Southern California RSNs, so there is RSN coverage included. It also includes HD sports channels dedicated to Island water sports and another dedicated to surfing.
Please open your eyes just once and realize that the days of D* being the leader are over.

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Umh. yes they do.
I was in Maui for the Holidays watching Oceanic Time Warner, and it had more sports channels (other than the RSNs) in HD than D* for only $5.99 a month. That includes the PAC 12 Net, Fox Soccer +, the Red Zone Channel, and every HD sports pack channel that D* carries. It does also carry the three Southern California RSNs, so there is RSN coverage included. It also includes HD sports channels dedicated to Island water sports and another dedicated to surfing.
Please open your eyes just once and realize that the days of D* being the leader are over.

False. No other provider comes close to offering as much as DirecTV in sports. DirecTV has far more than Oceanic Time Warner. Might help if you did some research.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hope they don't start doing this with other sports, such as the extra golf and tennis channels they do every year.

I'm sorry but if there is any chance it will save us some money, get rid of them!!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#31 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

False. No other provider comes close to offering as much as DirecTV in sports. DirecTV has far more than Oceanic Time Warner. Might help if you did some research.

Your jingoistic attitude towards D* blinds your opinion in any discussion. How is it that I was there watching not research?

#32 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

But for me (a non-fan) the only thing I think would be more boring than watching cars run in circles making left turns for three hours would be watching left turns being made from within the cars for three hours.

Well, when you boil down any spectator sport or event to its most simple definition, it can sound boring.

Basketball: "I don't want to watch a bunch of tall people throwing a ball through a hoop for two and half hours."

Rock concert: "I don't want to see some guys strumming on guitars and banging on drums for two hours."

Ballet: "I don't want to watch a bunch of tiny women prancing around on a stage for three hours."

Of course, each of these events, along with auto racing, has a great deal more complexity and nuance that these oversimplifications.

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Your jingoistic attitude towards D* blinds your opinion in any discussion. How is it that I was there watching not research?

You haven't compared what each provider offers apparently. If you had, you would know why your claim is false.

Also, I'd recommend you refrain from using words you do not understand. Jingoistic? Haha. Locate a dictionary.
DTV = Digital Television

#34 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

You haven't compared what each provider offers apparently. If you had, you would know why your claim is false.

Also, I'd recommend you refrain from using words you do not understand. Jingoistic? Haha. Locate a dictionary.

The definition of jingoism is extreme and emotional nationalism or chauvinism.

If that doesn't describe your attitude towards DirecTV and to those who offer a contrasting opinion, I don't know what does.

#35 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

The definition of jingoism is extreme and emotional nationalism or chauvinism.

If that doesn't describe your attitude towards DirecTV and to those who offer a contrasting opinion, I don't know what does.

Thank you for proving that you don't understand the word. Haha!
DTV = Digital Television

#36 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I used to watch Hotpass and in fact paid for it the first season it was offered. For the last few years I stopped watching Hotpass because I stopped watching the races live in favor of watching from the dvr to skip commercials and to ffwd thru the boring parts of the race. Nascar has become Napcar to me with only the last 20 or so laps of the race offering an interesting viewing experience.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#37 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Starting this year you can start watching Fox NASCAR coverage on internet through thier new agreement with Nascar.

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

#38 OFFLINE   mwms9872

mwms9872

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I am NASCAR fan, watch it frequently. I will get over it.

#39 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

Thank you for proving that you don't understand the word. Haha!

As jingoism is a synonym of chauvinism he used the word jingoistic correctly. There's nothing improper about it. So what are you gloating about? Or are you ignoring the fact that you didn't say anything in your replies other than "FALSE"?
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#40 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Sprint has exclusivity on apps.

According to NASCAR.com, premium apps will be available to not Sprint network devices for a fee.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

Protected By... spam firewall...And...