Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D* Ending HotPass

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I'm sorry but if there is any chance it will save us some money, get rid of them!!

If you can't afford DirecTV you do have the option to cancel. :)

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

If you can't afford DirecTV you do have the option to cancel. :)

:P

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#43 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

According to NASCAR.com, premium apps will be available to not Sprint network devices for a fee.

Interesting... A year or so ago, around the time Sprint was first getting the iPhone, a friend of mine wrote an iPhone app that involved NASCAR and was rejected by Apple with the explanation that Sprint had exclusivity on all NASCAR apps.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#44 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Interesting... A year or so ago, around the time Sprint was first getting the iPhone, a friend of mine wrote an iPhone app that involved NASCAR and was rejected by Apple with the explanation that Sprint had exclusivity on all NASCAR apps.

I think some things changed on the mobile front now that NASCAR owns NASCAR.com instead of Turner owning it.

http://www.nascar.co...bile-promo.html

The above link gives a basic overview. It says that Sprint Customers with unlimited data can get it for free.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#45 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

False. No other provider comes close to offering as much as DirecTV in sports. DirecTV has far more than Oceanic Time Warner. Might help if you did some research.

Well.... Hawaii is one of those oddballs. They do not have any Major League teams, and they are secondary to team-markets like the Lakers in Los Angeles. Along with Las Vegas (or more Nevada as a whole) they have access to a LOT of west-coast teams that other states don't have. While it is true that this isn't a DirecTV issue, AND that if you count it all up DirecTV does offer the MOST sport, it is true that Hawaiians can enjoy a fairly large number of RSN's without any blackouts for the relatively low price of a sports package, without any need to purchase a MLB Extra Innings type package.

But this, of course, isn't unique to the cable providers, as satellite providers beam the same RSN's to Hawaii. That said, Hawaii Telecom (which operates a IPTV style platform) is one of the few providers that offers all 7 channels of the PAC12 Networks.

DirecTV is slowly losing some of its "sports supremacy" though. If specifically looking at COLLEGE Sports, Dish has now more of it. Of course as long as DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket, no one will be able to beat them in total sports offerings. Opinions in the sports world however seem to think that the NFL will not negotiate another exclusivity deal in 2014, so in 2 years from now things might be completely different.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#46 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Umh. yes they do.
I was in Maui for the Holidays watching Oceanic Time Warner, and it had more sports channels (other than the RSNs) in HD than D* for only $5.99 a month. That includes the PAC 12 Net, Fox Soccer +, the Red Zone Channel, and every HD sports pack channel that D* carries. It does also carry the three Southern California RSNs, so there is RSN coverage included. It also includes HD sports channels dedicated to Island water sports and another dedicated to surfing.
Please open your eyes just once and realize that the days of D* being the leader are over.

That was one of the problems when I used to have Oceanic a few years ago, "only" three RSN's. Actually, only two back then. Major League Baseball would claim Hawaii as home territory for the Mariners, A's, Giants, Dodgers, Angels, and Diamondbacks. So, all those teams would be blacked out on the MLB EI package, and you could only see the Dodgers and Angels on FSN West and Prime Ticket. None of the other RSN's were available, not sure if that's changed.

#47 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well.... Hawaii is one of those oddballs. They do not have any Major League teams, and they are secondary to team-markets like the Lakers in Los Angeles. Along with Las Vegas (or more Nevada as a whole) they have access to a LOT of west-coast teams that other states don't have. While it is true that this isn't a DirecTV issue, AND that if you count it all up DirecTV does offer the MOST sport, it is true that Hawaiians can enjoy a fairly large number of RSN's without any blackouts for the relatively low price of a sports package, without any need to purchase a MLB Extra Innings type package.

But this, of course, isn't unique to the cable providers, as satellite providers beam the same RSN's to Hawaii. That said, Hawaii Telecom (which operates a IPTV style platform) is one of the few providers that offers all 7 channels of the PAC12 Networks.

DirecTV is slowly losing some of its "sports supremacy" though. If specifically looking at COLLEGE Sports, Dish has now more of it. Of course as long as DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket, no one will be able to beat them in total sports offerings. Opinions in the sports world however seem to think that the NFL will not negotiate another exclusivity deal in 2014, so in 2 years from now things might be completely different.

Oceanic offers all seven of the PAC 12 Nets with the "National" channel in HD while the "Regional" channels are in SD

That was one of the problems when I used to have Oceanic a few years ago, "only" three RSN's. Actually, only two back then. Major League Baseball would claim Hawaii as home territory for the Mariners, A's, Giants, Dodgers, Angels, and Diamondbacks. So, all those teams would be blacked out on the MLB EI package, and you could only see the Dodgers and Angels on FSN West and Prime Ticket. None of the other RSN's were available, not sure if that's changed.

The only RSNs that are offered are the three SoCal channels, all in HD, while the three Fox College Sports channels are in SD.

And thanks to myselfalso for the confirmation and support. After Forty+ years as a writer, I do have an idea as to what is proper vocabulary.

#48 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

After Forty+ years as a writer, I do have an idea as to what is proper vocabulary.

Apparently not...
DTV = Digital Television

#49 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

As jingoism is a synonym of chauvinism he used the word jingoistic correctly. There's nothing improper about it. So what are you gloating about? Or are you ignoring the fact that you didn't say anything in your replies other than "FALSE"?

No, actually he did not. Thanks for playing though.
DTV = Digital Television

#50 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I think some things changed on the mobile front now that NASCAR owns NASCAR.com instead of Turner owning it.

http://www.nascar.co...bile-promo.html

The above link gives a basic overview. It says that Sprint Customers with unlimited data can get it for free.

I don't think the apps deal had anything to do with who owned nascar.com. Sprint is the main sponsor of the sport and they want to make NASCAR fans drop their wireless provider and move to Sprint. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#51 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I don't think the apps deal had anything to do with who owned nascar.com. Sprint is the main sponsor of the sport and they want to make NASCAR fans drop their wireless provider and move to Sprint. :)

Something could have been worked out on that. But the main thing was that Turner had no interest in developing any special apps due to the changeover.

And everyone knows that Sprint just sucks. No amount of NASCAR apps, free or otherwise, would make me switch from Verizon to Sprint.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#52 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I was not a regular user of HotPass, but it came in handy once or twice a year when our local ABC affiliate decided to hijack race coverage to go wall-to-wall weather report to tell us that it is raining. HotPass was my only option to see the race.

The fact that I can still use D* tells you exactly how catastrophic the weather is during these times. :rolleyes:

#53 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Well it freed up 4 HD slots for use elsewhere. Other than that I'm still bummed about losing Hotpass.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#54 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Well it freed up 4 HD slots for use elsewhere.

Not exactly. DirecTV just reduces the number of PPV HD movies available during the races and uses those slots. It does not fee up any 24/7/365 space.

#55 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Not exactly. DirecTV just reduces the number of PPV HD movies available during the races and uses those slots. It does not fee up any 24/7/365 space.

I think at times it was on at the same time as NFL ST.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#56 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

I think at times it was on at the same time as NFL ST.

Most of the football season it was on at the same time as NFLST. Which just further reduced the number of PPV movies available. They do not dedicate a full time 24/7/365 channel space to any of these services.

#57 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Doesn't matter if they were used for PPV or NFL ST. The bottom line is that there are 4 more slots open.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#58 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Doesn't matter if they were used for PPV or NFL ST. The bottom line is that there are 4 more slots open.

It does matter. DirecTV will just keep those channels as PPV 24/7 as opposed to giving them up for an afternoon for Hotpass. It will actually make them money now as people might know watch a PPV during the timeframe that DirecTV had previously aired Hotpass for free.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#59 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

LMAO @ HotPass promo during Sprint Unlimited final practice just now. LOL

This was a LIVE, return from commercial break promo shown on screen and spoken LIVE by Mike Joy.

#60 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Of course none of the NASCAR.com premium features were working on Saturday night. Android APP failed as well.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

Protected By... spam firewall...And...