Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trying to get HR34/SWiM question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I just finished my 2 years and looking to upgrade.
I currently have 2xHR24 and 1xH24.
Only one cable is coming inside the house from the dish (even though I have total of cables at the dish from previous/older set, three are inactive).
Inside the house I have this thing. I also have DECA/WholeHome.
Now, pardon my ignorance, but is this the switch or is it just a splitter (or is it a splitter-switch) :confused: ?
I am 99.9% sure there is no 'switch' on the dish itself, but it says "splitter" on this device, so I am not sure.

In any case, this 'switch' (or the one I have) is limited to 8 receivers. I was hoping to keep one HR24, get new HR34 and one C31 client for a total of 3 TV's for total of 7 receivers (I would love to keep the two HR24, but I do not want a new switch and I want to keep installation to minimum mess).
But how does the "8 receivers" counted? Is it the number of cables from this switch? One port in this splitter is going to the DECA, so am I limited to only 7 receivers because of that?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

You're mis-using several terms, the first of which is "receiver".

If you go to one HR34, one HR24, and one C31 that will be a total of THREE "Receivers".

With that configuration, your 8-way SWiM will support the number of "Tuners" you'll have just fine.

And the HR34 has a deca built in.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

If you go to one HR34, one HR24, and one C31 that will be a total of THREE "Receivers".

With that configuration, your 8-way SWiM will support the number of "Tuners" you'll have just fine.

The "tuner count", would be seven, leaving one more able to be connected to the SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

You might be better off swapping one of the HR-24's for the HR-34, and keeping the other HR-24 and the H-24. That would be three receivers, using a total of 8 tuners, which is still OK with the SWM LNB you have.

SWM doesn't need switches, just splitters. You have an 8-way SWM splitter. That's overkill, and the installer will probably switch it out.

#5 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

OK, Tuner...that's what I meant.

So if the HR34 has a built in DECA, that means I can get rid of my current 'external' DECA, one port in the splitter opens up and one less item plugged to power. Sounds good. Does the HR34 and the built-in DECA work off a single cable?
Also, just so I understand - what limits the number of tuners on this splitter? If both HR24 and HR34 requires only one cable (so 3 cables from 3 receivers), and the HR34 has a built in DECA (which means - additional free port on the SWM), where is the limit coming from, if it's not by the number of cables connected to it?

And somewhat related Q: If I do get to replace HR24 with HR34, is there a way to move my recordings so I won't lose them?

Thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

The splitter isn't the limitation, the 8 tuner limitation is at the dish. You have a SWM LNB. To have more than 8 tuners, you need a normal LNB and a SWM16 box.

#7 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

The splitter isn't the limitation, the 8 tuner limitation is at the dish. You have a SWM LNB. To have more than 8 tuners, you need a normal LNB and a SWM16 box.

How many cables are needed for normal LNB (from the dish to the SWM16)?

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

How many cables are needed for normal LNB (from the dish to the SWM16)?

That would be 4. Though many would say that the normal LNB now is the SWM version. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

And somewhat related Q: If I do get to replace HR24 with HR34, is there a way to move my recordings so I won't lose them?

No. The recordings are locked to a receiver. Unless they're OTA recordings using an AM21.

#10 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

That would be 4. Though many would say that the normal LNB now is the SWM version. :)

OK, so technically I can switch to SWM16 because as I said, I do have 4 cables from the dish but only one is being used now.

Can you or someone point me to the LNB that is required for the SWM16, and can the SWM16 be located inside the house?

You might be better off swapping one of the HR-24's for the HR-34, and keeping the other HR-24 and the H-24. That would be three receivers, using a total of 8 tuners, which is still OK with the SWM LNB you have.

I understand the logic of keeping H24 vs. replacing it with C31. Is the charge for C31 same as standard receiver?

Thanks.

Edited by SBI, 08 January 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I would appreciate if someone can help summarize what my options are:

1. Replace one HR24 with HR34 - ending up with three receivers/8 tuners 1xHR34, 1xHR24, 1xH24, keeping existing SWM8 splitter, and getting rid of existing external DECA, keep same dish and LNB. If this is the case, this should be a pretty much straight forward swap of receivers. Am I missing something?

2. Go "big" with replacing the H24 with HR34 - ending up with three receivers/9 tuners (1xHR34, 2xHR24), replace SWM8 with SWM16, use the 4 cables that I have at the dish (currently 1 in use, 3 spare), remove existing external DECA. This will probably require a longer installation. Am I missing something here?
What I don't understand with this SWM16 is, that based on the image above, the receivers are connected to the SWM16 through 2xSWM8, similar to the one I currently have. Why can't it be connected directly to the SWM16?

Also, can someone point me to the LNB that is required for SWM16?

One more thing: in the planned location of the new HR34 I have an Ethernet connection to the home network. Can this be beneficial in any way, shape or form, faster/better connection? If I do end up using direct connection to the home network (and I am counting on the pros here to educate me on this ;) ), does this mean that all other receivers need to be connected to Ethernet as well?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention - obviously I am already on WholeHome DVR service.

Thanks again for all your help!

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

The SWM16 is essentially two SWM8's. You can either use an SL3 LNB or a SL5, but not one with SWM built in.

You would be able to use the Ethernet port on the 34 to give all receivers on the DECA cloud Internet access.

#13 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks dpeters11. Can you expand a little bit?

The SWM16 is essentially two SWM8's. You can either use an SL3 LNB or a SL5, but not one with SWM built in.

Not with SWM because I need to use the SWM16? Is there no LNB with built in SWM that supports more than 8 tuners?
Also, can you refer to my question about the SWM16 and the use of the two SWM8 splitters, as in the image? It doesn't seem that the receivers are connected directly to the SWM16 but rather through splitters in between.

You would be able to use the Ethernet port on the 34 to give all receivers on the DECA cloud Internet access.

How would the receivers get internet access if it is not connected to an Ethernet?! Through the coax cable?
If this is the case, since internet connection is achieved through the coax anyways, why do I need the Ethernet then?

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Right, with the SWM16, you don't want a SWM LNB as well. Though to be honest I'm not sure what would happen if you tried. Doubt it is as bad as crossing the streams, but would not work too well.

The normal way to get Internet to the DECA cloud is with an extra DECA, wireless Cinema Connection Kit etc. Using the 34 to do it saves an extra box, more coax cable and a power brick. Only the HR34 can do this.

#15 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

The normal way to get Internet to the DECA cloud is with an extra DECA, wireless Cinema Connection Kit etc. Using the 34 to do it saves an extra box, more coax cable and a power brick. Only the HR34 can do this.

OK, so basically, since it all goes through the single coax and the built-in DECA of the HR34, I don't even need the Ethernet.
Or do I?! How is the internal DECA get connected to the router?

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,745 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

No, to use the HR34 to give Internet access to the DECA cloud, you would need an ethernet cable going from the jack on the 34 to your router.

#17 OFFLINE   SBI

SBI

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

No, to use the HR34 to give Internet access to the DECA cloud, you would need an ethernet cable going from the jack on the 34 to your router.

Got it. So Ethernet goes into the HR34 to feed the built in DECA which will connect the rest of the receivers through the coax/swm.

Thanks again!

spam firewall